3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

CAI for the Pentastar

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:48 PM
OSUBauer
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI for the Pentastar

Is there enough benefits to install a cold air intake on the v6? I know some will say it helps with gas mileage but by how much? If it only amounts to a couple cents per tank, it's going to take awhile to recoup the cost.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:12 PM
OSUBauer
Amateur

Seriously? 138 views and no opinions? Sound off folks.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:52 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say no. It is rumored that with the new air sensors and how the computer is set up, the CAI "could" actually be a negative even on the HEMI.

With that said, traditionally a cold air CAI adds a few HP. That added HP tends to increase the foot on the gas pedal and mileage suffers anyways. Some are doing it for the looks and with a CAI traditionally translating to performance, I get the corollary be it ill-advised or not.

The lack of responses to your post is probably because few CAI setups exist in the real world yet on the Gen3 and those that have them didn't see your request for input. Shouldn't be considered a snub.

Hope that helps.

IndyD

Last edited by IndyDurango; 02-17-2012 at 01:55 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:29 PM
edfiero

Just purchased the K&N cold air intake, and a JET Chip Module. I'll let ya all know in a couple of weeks if there was any improvement. I have a benchmark, that I can get consistently up to 55 mph from a stoplight near my office to a fixed point. Anything above or below 55 after the mods will be directly attributable.

I'd be satisfied with about 3-4 more MPH anything less than that and I'll consider it money flushed. Anything better, will be bonus.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:58 AM
edfiero

The K&N Kit and the JET chip have been installed for about a week now, and the wifey has probablly logged about 100 miles on them so the computer has had a chance to 'learn' the changes. So I ran the test again this morning and it seems this was a giant waste of money. I perhaps picked up .5 MPH in my aprox 1/10 mile test run if I want to be overly optimistic. Its probably within the margin of error. Zero SOP improvement and Zero testable/observable improvement. So guys, save your money.

Last edited by edfiero; 03-02-2012 at 07:32 AM. Reason: typeo
Old 03-01-2012, 10:07 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Edfiero,

Thanks for the personal update. Good real world info.

Dodge's PCM will always relearn and "correct" the JetChips. It has been the same since the Gen1 in 1998. JetChips on the Durango are expensive paperweights and simple wastes of money. Sorry you had to find that out the hard(er) way.

In terms of the CAI, interesting findings. How about breaking the two up mods and checking on the intakes advantages or disadvantages by keeping the CAI in place without the JetChip SnakeOil and see what happens after the PCM relearns again. I would suggest resetting from scratch. (I know how that is done on Gen1/Gen2s but someone else will need to chime in with Gen3 PCM reset procedures.)

As I mentioned earlier, the new PCM measures airflow differently thus the old K&N advantages may simply no longer apply. Doesn't mean it doesn't look cool/better... but the coolness factor may not be really worth it in the end.

IndyDurango

Last edited by IndyDurango; 03-01-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Quick Reply: CAI for the Pentastar