3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Complete LED fog light assembly installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Ryan Albert
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice def a mod I'm interested in down the road when I have extra cash.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:40 PM
happyfirst
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! How about some nights shots from the front?

They seem bright. Has anybody flashed you yet?

Old 02-26-2012, 09:17 PM
PowerDDanger
Professional

Originally Posted by happyfirst
Nice! How about some nights shots from the front?

They seem bright. Has anybody flashed you yet?

They don't just look bright they look like they're directed too high. The fogs aren't supposed to shoot to the same spot as your low beams. They should be directed down lower by an inch or so, but with LEDs the drawback is that you can't adjust a whole case down or can you?

Old 02-26-2012, 10:37 PM
kingofwylietx
Professional

It isn't directed upward, they lack the upper cutoff that a true fog light has. I tried to be clear about that in post number 7. These are not fog lights and should not be used as fog lights. They are lights that fit in the location that is currently occupied by your fog lights. I want that to be understood, these were never designed to be fog lights. A fog light has a cutoff that helps prevent light from being reflected back at you (if in real thick fog)....these do not. These are emergency lights installed in the fog light position.

You could point them downward more. But, seen in person, I'm not sure you would elect to do so.

*****look at picture 2 & 3, you will see that I am not on level ground. In pic 2, the beam is way up the wall, in pic 3 the beam is at the ground. There is an aura/halo that is higher than my low beams. Look at a flashlight beam, you have the bright spot, then you have a dimmer flood....you are seeing the flood above the low beams. I really like it because it lights road signs better.

Due to their design, they have a round beam. It is brighter in the center and gets dimmer as you move towards the outer area of the circle.

I have not been flashed by anyone while using them, night or day. Though, that isn't the best barometer to judge whether something offends oncoming traffic. These are quite bright when you see them in the distance. They are also pretty concentrated, so as a car gets closer, it actually moves away from the strongest concentration of brightness (it gets out of the beam). I have stood in front of them at night, to see if they are too bright for normal night use. I think they are very bright, and they do stand out, but I am much more offended by HID bulb conversions in regular reflector housings.

I'll get a picture of them from the front at night. I'll do it with the low beam headlights on and off.

Last edited by kingofwylietx; 02-27-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:13 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HID setups are worse because of the height of the headlights. These occupy the fogs so by being so much closer to the ground, you can get away with the better light and still not be an offender.

Let's see those photos in a low light setting and in darkness from a couple of angles.

IndyD

Old 02-28-2012, 09:58 PM
kingofwylietx
Professional

I took pictures of the lights tonight from several angles. I need to black-out my license plate before I post them. I will put them up tomorrow.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:37 AM
kingofwylietx
Professional

Here are some pictures taken last night. They vary, from directly in front of the Durango to the side where oncoming traffic would see the lights.

I used my Iphone, flash off.

It gives you an idea of brightness and glare, based on the known brightness of factory HID's. This isn't perfect, especially considering the camera, but it's the best I can offer right now.

Glare seems on par with the factory lights, though the LED's assembly is larger than the factory HID unit.

Last edited by kingofwylietx; 02-29-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:59 PM
chrisrush

That looks pretty good. I like the color as well. Looks like it will match the color of the HID factory lights. Your low beams appear amber, is that the case?

Old 02-29-2012, 10:29 PM
m8knuthink
Professional

I like... Great job!

Old 02-29-2012, 10:54 PM
kingofwylietx
Professional

Originally Posted by chrisrush
Looks like it will match the color of the HID factory lights. Your low beams appear amber, is that the case?
I have an R/T, so those are factory HIDs. For amber, you are seeing the front parking and sidemarker amber lights....

Quick Reply: Complete LED fog light assembly installed