3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Maximum care extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:38 PM
happyfirst
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends... The maxcare lifetime basically covers "almost" everything, including all electronics (nav, stereo, power windows, power tailgate, power/tilt steering, adapative cruise, etc, etc). The list is very very long what it covers.

http://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/compare_plans.cfm

IMO, with today's cars and all the electronics, for $2k for LIFETIME, if one knows they know they would keep the car a long time, why not?

I tow a boat, so for me, no worries about the tranmission now ever.

Plus, it also includes loaner cars, towing, roadside assistance (not for lifetime though, I think that part is only for 7/100), but still, that's 4 years more, and there's value in that.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:47 PM
navyjetmech
Rookie

Copied from the link provided.:Plan coverage continues for the length of time and mileage you select. All time and mileage specifications are from the warranty start date (the original in-service date of the vehicle) and 0 miles. Plan expiration is specified in you Plans Provisions. Car rental coverage starts on the day you purchase the plan and covers those repair instances when a replacement vehicle is not otherwise provided.

-So you are paying for 3/36,000 miles that is covered under the factory warranty?

Old 04-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Stoopalini
Rookie

Originally Posted by navyjetmech
So you are paying for 3/36,000 miles that is covered under the factory warranty?
No, the lifetime plan is for as long as you own the vehicle. To see the plans, click the "Get a Quote" button and fill in the details of your vehicle. Then select the "Lifetime Plans" tab under the "Choose Your Plan Term" heading to see the lifetime detail.

Notice the blurb you copied, as well as the "100% Money Back Plans" blurb are footnotes, and the lifetime plans do not have an indication that these footnotes apply. If you select one of the term plans (5, 6, or 7 year), you'll notice the footnotes apply to those plans.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:23 PM
navyjetmech
Rookie

I am also pretty sure you can buy this warranty as long as your vehicle is covered under the manufacturer warranty; point is why buy a warranty if you are still covered under the factory warranty. If I were to buy it I would wait till the factory bumper to bumper warranty was ready to expire.

My father-in -law was a Sales Manager at different dealerships in the Orlando area. He told me as long as the vehicle is under the factory warranty you can buy an extended manufactures warranty through the vehicle manufacturer without penalty.

I was a fan of extended warranties but I quit buying them. I found myself never using them for what I paid for them. A tie rod here or there a condenser here or there. The number of times I had repairs done under an extended warranty never equaled to the thousands of dollars I paid for the extended warranties. I mean sure you hear the stories of people getting a new engine for just the price of a deductible. Let's face it they wouldn't sale extended warranties if there was not a huge profit in them. Do some research on Google even the "Experts" feel that the amount of money spent on extended warranties are much higher than what the "regular" consumer is paying for the repairs out right. Cars today are made better than they were years ago if you properly maintain a vehicle it will last years and thousands of miles without any major breakdowns. Here is an idea take $2000.00 put it in a CD or mutual fund for 3-6 years, just make sure you have access to the money if you need it and let it make you money while you are waiting in your vehicle to break down.

- I feel my OPINION it's not worth the money.

- I am just stating my OPINION because I feel people need to make decisions on the facts. NOT on scare tactics that the automobile industry has drilled into our society. This is not meant to offend anyone just my 2 cents.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:25 PM
navyjetmech
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stoopalini
No, the lifetime plan is for as long as you own the vehicle. To see the plans, click the "Get a Quote" button and fill in the details of your vehicle. Then select the "Lifetime Plans" tab under the "Choose Your Plan Term" heading to see the lifetime detail.

Notice the blurb you copied, as well as the "100% Money Back Plans" blurb are footnotes, and the lifetime plans do not have an indication that these footnotes apply. If you select one of the term plans (5, 6, or 7 year), you'll notice the footnotes apply to those plans.

You are paying for 3/36,000 miles covered under the factory warranty. It states the plan starts at the in service date and zero miles which is already covered under the factory warranty. From the time you buy/in service date till 3/36,000 miles is covered under the factory warranty. Then the 5/100,000 mile power train pays for any power train related parts.

- I found the link but I only found where the max is 7/100,000 mile warranty. I did read note "2" 100% Money-Back Plans If this option is selected, Chrysler will refund 100% of the purchase price of the service contract upon service contract expiration if the following four conditions are met: (1) The contract term must run for full duration by time only, (2) No mechanical repair claims may be made during the term of the plan, (3) You must still be the owner of the contract and vehicle at the expiration of the contract, and (4) You must submit your mail-in request to Chrysler to receive the refund. Money back plans are not available in Florida.

Last edited by navyjetmech; 04-10-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Stoopalini
Rookie

It really depends on your personal situation. If this was my daily driver, and I was single (or, just married with no kids) i wouldn't get an extended warranty.

But I'm married, with 2 kids, and have a racecar to maintain. So all my spare time
(which isn't much these days) goes into maintaining and upgrading the track car. So paying another $2k now, to keep me from spending any time on repairs over the next 10 years is definitely worth it (to me that is)

Old 04-10-2012, 11:32 PM
Stoopalini
Rookie

You are paying for 3/36,000 miles covered under the factory warranty. It states the plan starts at the in service date and zero miles which is already covered under the factory warranty. From the time you buy/in service date till 3/36,000 miles is covered under the factory warranty. Then the 5/100,000 mile power train pays for any power train related parts.
No, you're paying for the difference between the manufacturer 3yr/36k and the term you choose. So if you choose the 5yr/60k plan, then your paying for 2yr/24k extra warranty.

If you wait past 12mo, the warranty prices are more expensive

Old 04-10-2012, 11:48 PM
navyjetmech
Rookie

Originally Posted by Stoopalini
No, you're paying for the difference between the manufacturer 3yr/36k and the term you choose. So if you choose the 5yr/60k plan, then your paying for 2yr/24k extra warranty.

If you wait past 12mo, the warranty prices are more expensive

Yes my point $1100 for 2/24k of warranty. That's a butt ton of money for two years of coverage. You could invest it and make $300-$500 off it in two years. But to each it's own.

Where do you race?

Old 04-11-2012, 12:09 AM
Stoopalini
Rookie

Right, that's why I think the lifetime is really the way to go.

I run with NASA Texas (National Auto Sports Association). Road course stuff at different courses in and around Texas: Texas World Speedway, Eagles Canyon Raceway, Motorsports Ranch Houston, Motorsports Ranch Cresson, etc ...

Old 04-11-2012, 02:49 AM
rdkind62
Professional

I am also pretty sure you can buy this warranty as long as your vehicle is covered under the manufacturer warranty; point is why buy a warranty if you are still covered under the factory warranty. If I were to buy it I would wait till the factory bumper to bumper warranty was ready to expire.

My father-in -law was a Sales Manager at different dealerships in the Orlando area. He told me as long as the vehicle is under the factory warranty you can buy an extended manufactures warranty through the vehicle manufacturer without penalty.

I was a fan of extended warranties but I quit buying them. I found myself never using them for what I paid for them. A tie rod here or there a condenser here or there. The number of times I had repairs done under an extended warranty never equaled to the thousands of dollars I paid for the extended warranties. I mean sure you hear the stories of people getting a new engine for just the price of a deductible. Let's face it they wouldn't sale extended warranties if there was not a huge profit in them. Do some research on Google even the "Experts" feel that the amount of money spent on extended warranties are much higher than what the "regular" consumer is paying for the repairs out right. Cars today are made better than they were years ago if you properly maintain a vehicle it will last years and thousands of miles without any major breakdowns. Here is an idea take $2000.00 put it in a CD or mutual fund for 3-6 years, just make sure you have access to the money if you need it and let it make you money while you are waiting in your vehicle to break down.

- I feel my OPINION it's not worth the money.

- I am just stating my OPINION because I feel people need to make decisions on the facts. NOT on scare tactics that the automobile industry has drilled into our society. This is not meant to offend anyone just my 2 cents.
I agree 100%. I let the warranty expire on my BMW and people thought I was nuts. Bottom line in most cases is, the warranty is simply more expensive than paying for it when it breaks.

Quick Reply: Maximum care extended warranty