3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Maximum care extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 07:49 AM
happyfirst
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Extended warranties are just insurances. They wouldn't be selling them if they didn't make money off them. If the lifetime did not exist, I would not have gotten one, especially if the max if just 7 years.

There are a lot of things that can go wrong that can easily cost more than $2000 to fix. One transmission going bad alone will easily more than pay the extended warranty. And I actually had a transmission go bad on my prior durango (although that was covered by the 3/36 part).

But cars are more complicated now, more than ever. And what I find interesting is when getting extended warranty quotes, that they don't differentiate between a base durango and a Citadel, but there is a TON more electronics and "power" things on a Citadel. Sure, a rock could take out the adaptive cruise sensor and warranty doesn't cover that, but it could also just go bad. Time will tell. I was quite pleasantly surprised that the lifetime warranty was only $2050. I keep cars a long time and I can't think I've ever had a car that hadn't accumulated $2000 worth of repairs before 100k miles. And some of those repairs I had done myself. No more!!! Now, with the extended warranty, I have peace of mind. One payment, lifetime insurance. I no longer have to care how many miles my wife puts on the car.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:33 AM
FAST851

Where is everyone finding the lifetime for 2,000 cheapest I can find it is over 3,300.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:56 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FAST851
How do you guys think the 3rd gen durango is going to hold up. I was just looking at the 0 deductible and nothing else. I didnt want all these little things to keep breaking and i keep needing to drop 100 everytime i go into the dealer.

Fast,

Your better off going with the $100 deductible IMO. If you compare the cost of the $0 deductible and the $100 deductible plans you will find that the $0 can cost up to $1200 more than the $100 deductible. The point is that you would need to take your car in 10-12 times for covered repairs on the $0 deduct plan to even break even on what you paid extra for that deductible.

I also agree with the opinion posted about purchasing a contract when your factory 3/36 is just about to expire. While it may cost a bit more in a couple of years, contracts are pro-rated when cancelled from the time you buy them. While you may have no intention of cancelling, you may find the need to do so if you decide to sell the vehicle before the 3/36 expires, the vehicle gets stolen, or maybe the vehicle gets totaled. If any of these events happen before the 3/36 expires and you have a contract since new, it will still be pro-rated from the time you had it. The only things the service contract covers while under factory warranty are the loaner coverage and the trip interruption coverage. Unless you really need these coverages now, waiting until the 3/36 is about to expire would probably be your best bet.

If you have any other service contract questions feel free to ask them here or PM me and I will answer them for you.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:42 AM
FAST851

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Fast,

Your better off going with the $100 deductible IMO. If you compare the cost of the $0 deductible and the $100 deductible plans you will find that the $0 can cost up to $1200 more than the $100 deductible. The point is that you would need to take your car in 10-12 times for covered repairs on the $0 deduct plan to even break even on what you paid extra for that deductible.

I also agree with the opinion posted about purchasing a contract when your factory 3/36 is just about to expire. While it may cost a bit more in a couple of years, contracts are pro-rated when cancelled from the time you buy them. While you may have no intention of cancelling, you may find the need to do so if you decide to sell the vehicle before the 3/36 expires, the vehicle gets stolen, or maybe the vehicle gets totaled. If any of these events happen before the 3/36 expires and you have a contract since new, it will still be pro-rated from the time you had it. The only things the service contract covers while under factory warranty are the loaner coverage and the trip interruption coverage. Unless you really need these coverages now, waiting until the 3/36 is about to expire would probably be your best bet.

If you have any other service contract questions feel free to ask them here or PM me and I will answer them for you.
Good points, I really didn't know how well the durango was going to hold up over the long haul. My wife and I are about to have are first baby in a month and I am just used to having my 5/60 with Hyundai, but never really needing it. I have had a few other dodges and they were all right with holding up over time. I plan on keeping the durango for atleast 6 years. Thats why I was looking at the 7/60 just in case I plan keeping it longer I would be covered. My wife and I would not hit the mileage cutoff just the years. We use our other vehicle 50% of the time.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:58 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FAST851
Good points, I really didn't know how well the durango was going to hold up over the long haul. My wife and I are about to have are first baby in a month and I am just used to having my 5/60 with Hyundai, but never really needing it. I have had a few other dodges and they were all right with holding up over time. I plan on keeping the durango for atleast 6 years. Thats why I was looking at the 7/60 just in case I plan keeping it longer I would be covered. My wife and I would not hit the mileage cutoff just the years. We use our other vehicle 50% of the time.

Fast,

If you are going to go with the 7/60 then I would definitely get the $100 deductible. While the MSRP on a 7/60 Max Care is $1210, you can most certainly get it for less if you shop around unless you live in Florida. Florida residents can purchase at MSRP only per state regulations.

Quick Reply: Maximum care extended warranty