3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

3.6 Pentastar misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 10:26 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Sledneck27
Whoa! I came back to the forum because another issue has come up with my Durango and I just realized I never updated this thread. Anyway, my Durango was repaired promptly, and has been running great, I now have about 35k on it(5 since the repair) and all seems well with the engine.
Thanks for the update. Glad everything is good.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:12 PM
cheezmo1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 dgc r/t

I found this thread from a google search for pentastar misfires, even though i had an account in dodgeforum.com already. Anyways, my wife's van only had the rough idle symptom. It actually vibrated through the entire van. Did some research and found that the van was manufactured 2 days later than the mandatory recall date for the head replacement. Took it into dealership last week and they "diagnosed" it as all the motor and trans mounts were shot. There is about 64K miles on it and NOT covered by warranty. WTF? Anyways we got it repaired and drove it this weekend and still it had rough idle. I decided to look at the engine and could clearly see it vibrating and it wasn't a pattern. It would shake and then sort of stutter shake all randomly. Took it back and complained and later was told the number 6 cylinder is misfiring every 10 seconds or so and that they will replace the head. Oh then also some of the engine mounts bolts were broken or something. Anyways, i don't have any confidence in the is dealership now. So hopefully the mechanics are more competent then the service advisers and managers. The only light we got and I grabbed the code was something to do with the gas cap and could be related to a bad battery. So a couple months ago i got a brand new battery since the old one was an original. That was the only code and never had anything after that.
It's sad that the dealerships are pulling this crap. Basically told us thats how the engine is BS. If you push them, then they will do something. Just some advice. Good luck to all.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:48 AM
Rocket Foot
Amateur

My 12 Durango Crew was just diagnosed with the Left Head Misfire issue. It is going in Tuesday for head replacement. It started with a check engine light and noticeable engine clatter. The dealer said that it is fine to drive until Tuesday and we will be getting a loaner. The DD has about 36,000 miles and still has the balance of 5/100 power train plus I added 7/70 Max care when I bought it. It should be covered until 2018 or 70K which ever comes first. By then, it is going down the road in exchange for a Citadel with 5.7 Hemi!

So, any new experiences with this issue out there in Dodge Land?

Old 04-10-2015, 02:46 PM
cheezmo1
Default Got the van back

So i drove the wife's van all day yesterday and it was smooth and like new. I visually looked at the engine during idle and I can still see it vibrating, a lot less than before but it no way it felt inside the van. I am definitely happy that it is fixed, but sad that it may happen again. Hopefully not though.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:55 AM
jessespeck92@gmail.com
Default Location

Okay, now this might sound stupid but when you say the head on the left side are you facing the engine from the radiator or the flywheel? I'm trying to figure out location of cylinder 1 on a 2014 dodge durango limited.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:17 AM
tdidog
Professional

Here.

The #1 cylinder will be the first one on the crank, therefore if you take a close look at the heads, you will find that one is a bit further forward than the other. This is the side that will have the #1 cylinder on it, farthest from the transmission.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:16 PM
dodgecharger

i have a 2011 dodge charger 3.6 Liter and i am getting cylinder 2 misfire which side is cylinder 2 located drivers side or passenger side? thanks

Old 10-01-2016, 06:54 PM
hfx_cdn
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the games continue! We were visiting 2 of our kids, their spouses and 4 grandkids about 1,000 miles from home, when the check engine light went on. We were leaving in 2 days, so I thought I should drop by and have the code checked. I was told that the code indicated that I needed to update the electronics, together it cost about $300 and I left with no light showing.
Two days later about 300 mile from the nearest dealer the light went on again. But since I had no choice but to drive the DD, I continued to our summer place. And over the next while the light would flash up, stay on for a few days, then go out for a while. First thing that I did when we got home was set up an appointment with my dealer, and in about 15 minutes, he said the head was garbage and they would order a new one under an extended warranty.
The technician said that the other dealer would have known what the problem was, and just didn't want to deal with it! I could have accepted that answer since the worst case scenario was that the engine would run rough, but I really do not like being lied to, nor do I like being charged about 3 times what my dealer says their normal rate would be for the same procedure.
I have not driven the SUV since it came out of the shop, but my wife says it is running fine.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:14 AM
usmc1811
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hfx_cdn
Well, the games continue! We were visiting 2 of our kids, their spouses and 4 grandkids about 1,000 miles from home, when the check engine light went on. We were leaving in 2 days, so I thought I should drop by and have the code checked. I was told that the code indicated that I needed to update the electronics, together it cost about $300 and I left with no light showing.
Two days later about 300 mile from the nearest dealer the light went on again. But since I had no choice but to drive the DD, I continued to our summer place. And over the next while the light would flash up, stay on for a few days, then go out for a while. First thing that I did when we got home was set up an appointment with my dealer, and in about 15 minutes, he said the head was garbage and they would order a new one under an extended warranty.
The technician said that the other dealer would have known what the problem was, and just didn't want to deal with it! I could have accepted that answer since the worst case scenario was that the engine would run rough, but I really do not like being lied to, nor do I like being charged about 3 times what my dealer says their normal rate would be for the same procedure.
I have not driven the SUV since it came out of the shop, but my wife says it is running fine.

Another fine example of how a dealership has taken care of a customer.

LIE, CHEAT and STEAL for your money.

AND no real surprise it was Dodge dealership.

This just reaffirms why I don't trust Dodge dealerships to touch my vehicles.
Even having them do recall work is like playing Russian Roulette, with 5 rounds in a six shooter.

Old 09-08-2022, 09:25 PM
apad143

Originally Posted by Scottina11heat
my 2011 durangos head was replaced because of a misfire on the #5
so after they replace your pcm it went away?

Quick Reply: 3.6 Pentastar misfiring