3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Blind spots and mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 03:47 AM
12hemiawdcitidale
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried this morning and it kinda weird to setup the mirrors that way but I also like using the side mirrors to look behind to spot cops around bends from behind, so I'm sticking to my original setup. Why is it turning your head a big deal its part of being alert and attentive while driving, no?

I love the blind spot monitoring too but two things, not all cars have them and it still doesn't prevent if a car is going after the same space that is two lanes over at the same time. It's like all technology we eventually figure out the hard way of its short comings.

I say keep checking over your shoulders even if you have blind spot monitoring sensors!

Old 10-31-2012, 06:58 AM
GotRPM
Professional
Cool

I also like using the side mirrors to look behind to spot cops around bends from behind, so I'm sticking to my original setup. Why is it turning your head a big deal its part of being alert and attentive while driving, no?
The technique is old but extremely effective. Since I don't worry about spotting law enforcement after I'm past them and they have already gunned me, I prefer to see everyday risks to my life and safety. The technique works, although it does take a couple days to get used to.

No, "turning your head" has nothing to do with it, you can see the blind spots in your mirrors, something you can't do turning your head - particularly in the OP's situation with passengers blocking the view.

If everyone used this technique and actually looked in the mirrors before changing lanes there's be far fewer cut-offs, collisions and road rage.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:11 PM
Dodgemack
Rookie
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GotRPM
The technique is old but extremely effective. Since I don't worry about spotting law enforcement after I'm past them and they have already gunned me, I prefer to see everyday risks to my life and safety. The technique works, although it does take a couple days to get used to.

No, "turning your head" has nothing to do with it, you can see the blind spots in your mirrors, something you can't do turning your head - particularly in the OP's situation with passengers blocking the view.

If everyone used this technique and actually looked in the mirrors before changing lanes there's be far fewer cut-offs, collisions and road rage.

This is true. I used to be of the same opinion as 12hemi until I realized how much more effective the mirror method is. It's awkward and foreign when you first do it but after a few days you adjust. I wish all drivers did it (there are too many bad ones on the road who could use these kinds of tips of you ask me)

Old 10-31-2012, 05:25 PM
boosted20v
Veteran

The only problem with turning your head is it puts you at risk if some idiot in front of you decides to slam on the brakes while your head is turned. As it's been mentioned no need to turn and look if you have your mirrors set in this manner. As for the cops, that's what my 9500 ix is for.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:01 PM
JRRF
Captain

I've adjusted my mirrors to pick up the blind spot for longer than I can remember. Everyone else hates it because you can't see the side of your car while driving, but it works wonders. The technique is a little less effective on an SUV or station wagon because the view out the rear view mirror is truncated. Regardless, I also have the blind spot monitoring on this vehicle and don't know how anyone ever drove anything this big without it.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:35 PM
Ray2004
Professional

Another advantage to the round blind spot mirrors is parking. I like to back in when possible and the mirrors let me see where my tires are in relation to the lines in the parking lot. They also help protect your rear tires when backing next to a curb. I like the old way of adjusting the side mirrors where you sit normally and barely see the sides of your vehicle and can also see what's behind you. My work vehicle has no rear view mirror and the side mirrors are used to see behind you and I like to use my personal vehicle mirrors in the same manner.

Quick Reply: Blind spots and mirrors