New member w/ rear suspension issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 04:15 PM
12HemiR/T
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire
What remote a/c issue do you speak of?
DJ: look at this Thread: "Another issue with my 2012 Durango - Remote Start.". It mentions that when using the remote start the A/C does not blow cold air. My R/T does the same thing. Dodgecares posted there is a software fix due 8/13/12.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:32 PM
diggy33
Professional

I've got similar noise from the left rear on my '12 R/T, AND I still havent been able to get the high pitch whistle fixed. I thought I had found the source of that noise (weather stripping around rear passenger door - had that replaced) and hadnt heard it for a few weeks, but yesterday on the way to work it happened again. Checked the strippings around the window, and visually, everything looks intact. My one complaint about the Durango, and I've had it in the shop 5 times (2 different locations) for this issue.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:25 PM
DJ Hellfire
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 12HemiR/T
DJ: look at this Thread: "Another issue with my 2012 Durango - Remote Start.". It mentions that when using the remote start the A/C does not blow cold air. My R/T does the same thing. Dodgecares posted there is a software fix due 8/13/12.
Oh ok. Saw that thread.

Originally Posted by diggy33
I've got similar noise from the left rear on my '12 R/T, AND I still havent been able to get the high pitch whistle fixed. I thought I had found the source of that noise (weather stripping around rear passenger door - had that replaced) and hadnt heard it for a few weeks, but yesterday on the way to work it happened again. Checked the strippings around the window, and visually, everything looks intact. My one complaint about the Durango, and I've had it in the shop 5 times (2 different locations) for this issue.
Sounds like a possible issue with your windshield not being sealed properly. Go grab some blue painters tape and on a cooler day, tape all the way around the windshield edge and drive it. See if it happens or not.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:32 AM
diggy33
Professional

Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire
Oh ok. Saw that thread.

Sounds like a possible issue with your windshield not being sealed properly. Go grab some blue painters tape and on a cooler day, tape all the way around the windshield edge and drive it. See if it happens or not.
The problem is, its so intermittent. One day it'll happen, then wont happen for a few days, then happen again, then wont happen for weeks. I went on rides with 2 seperate techs at the different dealers I took it to, and of course, no wind noise. And I got the typical "Well if we cant reproduce the problem, we cant troubleshoot". This was even after I played video of the speeds I was travelling (typically between 30 - 40mph) and clear audio of the noise (think of the noise air/wind makes when blown in to an empty glass bottle or something)

Old 07-20-2012, 09:00 AM
coldsteel
Captain

You have to take note of the outside air temperature when the noise appears. You may have a good seal when it's warmer out and a bad seal when it's cooler or vice-versa.

Speed may not be the factor, but the temp. may be.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:17 AM
20crew11
Amateur

I know for a fact there are other threads discussing this, so sorry for the repeat info in advance....

Have someone check the headliner. I bought my 2011 crew and discovered a rattle/squeak which I thought for sure was a suspension issue. Before I had the opportunity to have it checked by the dealer, I was rear-ended at a traffic light (I stopped on red.... he didn't). My auto body repair tech refused to return my D until he was positive all issues were fixed, including the rattle/squeak. He checked and lubed all suspension parts, tightened the lift gate, etc. The noise was coming from the headliner, specifically around the rear air controls and vents. He explained that sometimes during installation, the headliner clips aren't full secured in these areas. He gave a number of reasons ranging from fear of breaking the vents and controls when applying the extra pressure to the installation of the vents and controls forcing the clip back out. Regardless, bang the headliner around those areas and listen for a rattle/squeak. Haven't had any issues since, even after having the WHOLE rear-end replaced.

Hope this helps! Last thing you want is for the dealer to start pulling apart your brand new D.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:10 AM
diggy33
Professional

Originally Posted by coldsteel
You have to take note of the outside air temperature when the noise appears. You may have a good seal when it's warmer out and a bad seal when it's cooler or vice-versa.

Speed may not be the factor, but the temp. may be.
Good point - I will keep that in mind the next time it happens

Old 07-20-2012, 06:37 PM
hwy101
Professional

Ok back to the rear suspension issue iv been having the same same problem from day one 2012 rt with self leveling shocks trying to rule out the noise from the rear (like the famous clunk noise on my 2010 dodge charger srt8) bilstein shocks, so i took out the rear shocks hard as a rock no rebound at all once they are removed could not even push down on them.went to the dealer and ordered a pair of standard duty ones put them on and what do u know all sound and clunk are gone very comfortable ride a little softer than self leveling ones i am very happy dealers wont help at at all waste of time 177.00 for complete shock set up shock mounts shock boot and shock it self comes with extra hardware to bolt up .

Old 07-20-2012, 06:58 PM
12HemiR/T
Professional

Originally Posted by hwy101
Ok back to the rear suspension issue iv been having the same same problem from day one 2012 rt with self leveling shocks trying to rule out the noise from the rear (like the famous clunk noise on my 2010 dodge charger srt8) bilstein shocks, so i took out the rear shocks hard as a rock no rebound at all once they are removed could not even push down on them.went to the dealer and ordered a pair of standard duty ones put them on and what do u know all sound and clunk are gone very comfortable ride a little softer than self leveling ones i am very happy dealers wont help at at all waste of time 177.00 for complete shock set up shock mounts shock boot and shock it self comes with extra hardware to bolt up .
Are the shocks in it of itself the component(s) that provide the self leveling or are there other components? The service manager at the dealership told me that there is another "system" that provides the self leveling.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:22 PM
hwy101
Professional

yes its only the shocks no other components at all self contained unit ive been going crazy from day one when i drove it out of the dealership where is this annoying sound coming from past experience with the dodge chargers and chrysler 300s ,engineers test drive this cars and dont notice anything that is weird and for service managers not all but a few know what their talking about

Quick Reply: New member w/ rear suspension issue