3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

New member w/ rear suspension issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Bayou_Flyer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

H all, new here....2nd Dodge product. Similar issue with rear shocks, noticed it on day 2. The 50 mile drive from the dealership was on smooth highway, so no issues. Went for a family outing 2 days later and noticed the same clunking noise going over any raised joints in the road. Since my work car is a 200k mile VW with the original shocks, I immediately thought "it sounds like the Durango shocks are worn out". Just a clunking, bottoming out sound but only when going over bumps that cause a rapid up-down movement on the rear suspension. Day 3, the headliner started squeaking around the rear climate controls, but that's apparently another frequent nuisance....otherwise love, love, love my (ehem, my wife's) RT!

Old 07-20-2012, 10:35 PM
12HemiR/T
Professional

Originally Posted by hwy101
yes its only the shocks no other components at all self contained unit ive been going crazy from day one when i drove it out of the dealership where is this annoying sound coming from past experience with the dodge chargers and chrysler 300s ,engineers test drive this cars and dont notice anything that is weird and for service managers not all but a few know what their talking about
I found a thread that has a link to how the load leveling shocks work.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315705&highlight=Load+leveling

I might have to try the standard shock set up if I can't live with it. On the other hand I will be towing with the vehicle and maybe the benefit of this type of shock outweighs the annoyance. If the shocks are as heavily preloaded as you describe is it possible that they put stess on other suspension components that are otherwise identical to a D not equipped with a towing package??

Old 07-21-2012, 06:47 PM
hwy101
Professional

personally waiting for bilsteins as a soon as they come out i will get them just could live with that annoying clunk

Old 07-21-2012, 08:49 PM
hwy101
Professional

Originally Posted by 12HemiR/T
I found a thread that has a link to how the load leveling shocks work.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/showthr...=Load+leveling

I might have to try the standard shock set up if I can't live with it. On the other hand I will be towing with the vehicle and maybe the benefit of this type of shock outweighs the annoyance. If the shocks are as heavily preloaded as you describe is it possible that they put stess on other suspension components that are otherwise identical to a D not equipped with a towing package??
you might be right about the stress points but thats why we have the forums everyone learns alot more about their D s than the dealer can tell us

Old 07-25-2012, 06:25 PM
hwy101
Professional

just got an answer back from shock wharehouse no aftermarket shocks available for grand cherokee or the durango will contact me when available

Old 07-27-2012, 10:51 PM
jadd1
Unhappy 2011 Durango Heat - rear noise issue

I have a 2011 Durango Heat and I have had it in to the dearler twice for the "clunking" noise when going over bumps. The first time they said the shock was bad, so they replaced the left side. It still made the noise. So I took it back. I just got it back after a week and a half. They put in a call to Chrysler, and they requested that both shocks be changed this time. It still does it, although not near as bad. What they told me finally is that Chrysler installed a heavy duty suspension on these models and apparently it is very stiff, causing the noise that I am hearing. One of the technicians had a model just like mine and he said his is worse than mine. We have decided to eventually change the type of shocks if the noise continues to worsen. The service manager was even surprised they put that type of suspension on a regular street car. He said the same problem had occurred on some other Dodge models. So we either have to live with it or get rid of it, which I don't want to do because I love my Durango!!!

Old 07-28-2012, 03:00 PM
hwy101
Professional

just change out the shocks with the normal duty ill post all the part numbers u will need i did it and luv it put the self leveling ones to the side for now

Old 07-28-2012, 03:14 PM
hwy101
Professional

here are the part numbers for normal duty shocks YOU CAN NOT TAKE APART UR SELF LEVELING SHOCKS, ONE COMPLETE UNIT CANNOT USE PARTS SO U HAVE TO ORDER NEW SET UPS NORMAL DUTY HERE ARE THE PART NUMBERS THAT ARE NEEDED COST 177.00 COMPLETE. 68069846AF SHOCK ,68029522AA DUST BOOT,68029590AD SHOCK MOUNT, 68060590AB SHOCK MOUNT PLATE, 68063781AC SHOCK BUMPER ,ALL THESE COMPONENTS ARE NEEDED

Old 07-28-2012, 06:49 PM
DJ Hellfire
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I have the noise as well, it's not enough to make me want to take the self leveling shocks out. I just turn the music up!

Old 07-29-2012, 08:21 AM
hwy101
Professional

ride is nice and quiet and also drops the rear levels it self out with the fronts nice look ill try post pics

Quick Reply: New member w/ rear suspension issue