New member w/ rear suspension issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 10:43 PM
12HemiR/T
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member w/ rear suspension issue

Hello all

Just joined the forum as I am a new Dodge owner. This is my first Chrysler product and love it. My Durango is a 2012 Black AWD R/T with sunroof; leather; towing package and nav system. I took delivery 5/11/12 and odometer clock is about 3,600 miles. Took two longer trips and hit almost 22 mpg. Day to day I am averaging 16.5 - 17.5 mpg. Not bad. Since day 1 had a rattle from left rear over smaller, wash-board like road conditions. Sounded like worn shock to me. Took back to dealer and tech said he heard the noise, but was not sure how to fix. Another tech went for a road test and recommended new set of shocks as that worked on other customer Durango's with similar complaints. The new set of shocks quieted the noise for about a week, but the noise is back, but not as bad as before the shock swap. Service manager mentioned to me ther are no TSB's. Anyone else experiencing similar issue?? I plan on returning to dealer when the remote start a/c fixed is announced, because I discovered that I have that issue after reading the forum here. Appreciate any feedback on the shock/ rear suspension issue.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:30 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Havent noticed anyone with this issue but forum member dodgecares will likely chime in to the thread in the am!

Old 07-13-2012, 08:40 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 12HemiR/T
Hello all

Just joined the forum as I am a new Dodge owner. This is my first Chrysler product and love it. My Durango is a 2012 Black AWD R/T with sunroof; leather; towing package and nav system. I took delivery 5/11/12 and odometer clock is about 3,600 miles. Took two longer trips and hit almost 22 mpg. Day to day I am averaging 16.5 - 17.5 mpg. Not bad. Since day 1 had a rattle from left rear over smaller, wash-board like road conditions. Sounded like worn shock to me. Took back to dealer and tech said he heard the noise, but was not sure how to fix. Another tech went for a road test and recommended new set of shocks as that worked on other customer Durango's with similar complaints. The new set of shocks quieted the noise for about a week, but the noise is back, but not as bad as before the shock swap. Service manager mentioned to me ther are no TSB's. Anyone else experiencing similar issue?? I plan on returning to dealer when the remote start a/c fixed is announced, because I discovered that I have that issue after reading the forum here. Appreciate any feedback on the shock/ rear suspension issue.

There was a TSB on the 2011's about needing more grease on the rear jounce bumpers. I have posted it below. While it does not list your model year the dealer could at least check to make sure that is not the problem. If they cannot locate the problem I would suggest a call to Chrysler to have them get one of their techs involved to help the dealer solve the issue.

NUMBER: 17-002-11
GROUP: Rear Suspension
DATE: September 02, 2011

SUBJECT:
Squeak And/Or Creak Noise Coming From Rear Of Vehicle
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves road testing the vehicle over rough roads and if necessary adding
grease and RTV to both rear jounce bumpers.
MODELS:
2011 (WK) Grand Cherokee
2011 (WD) Durango
NOTE: This bulletin applies to all vehicles except those equipped with load leveling
shocks (Sales Code SES) built before March 17, 2011(MDH0317XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Squeak and/or creak sound coming from rear of vehicle when driving over rough roads.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:07 AM
mazda3ndp
Professional

I have the EXACT same noise your talking about, in addition my roofliner rattles but I digress. I tried to take it to my dealer, but they are punks and before I could even get service they changed their "free first oil change" to $149.00 oil change. let me know if you should ever get it figured out

Old 07-13-2012, 06:15 PM
12HemiR/T
Professional

DodgeCares: thanks for the insight and advice. The noise I am hearing is more of a rattle than a squeak or creak, similar to a bad shock/strut; worn strut plate bearing; worn bushing; and / or worn stabilizer link. Sounds more like something is loose vs. something that needs lubrication. Know what I mean?? I do notice that the problem appears to be worse in hotter temps and it is more intermittent with the second set of shocks vs. consistent with the factory installed shocks. Since I believe I isolated the problem to the left rear and the shock swap did not totally resolve the problem, the fix is likely beyond a shock and could be another suspension component. Any thoughts??

Old 07-19-2012, 11:09 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

DodgeCares: thanks for the insight and advice. The noise I am hearing is more of a rattle than a squeak or creak, similar to a bad shock/strut; worn strut plate bearing; worn bushing; and / or worn stabilizer link. Sounds more like something is loose vs. something that needs lubrication. Know what I mean?? I do notice that the problem appears to be worse in hotter temps and it is more intermittent with the second set of shocks vs. consistent with the factory installed shocks. Since I believe I isolated the problem to the left rear and the shock swap did not totally resolve the problem, the fix is likely beyond a shock and could be another suspension component. Any thoughts??

I have heard of no other common issue in the rear suspension as you describe. If the dealer cannot locate the problem I would suggest a call to the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center so they can get a Chrysler tech involved to solve the issue. Numbers below.

800-992-1997 United States
800-465-2001 Canada

Old 07-19-2012, 11:38 AM
jwr9152
Professional

I know this is stupid, but I couldn't stop myself from typing it. The jack and tire iron and everything are located in the left rear of the car. I had to take mine out and didn't secure it good when I first put it back. At first I thought there was something wrong with my rear suspension, until I figured it out. I know you are probably not as stupid as I am, and have already ruled that out.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:43 AM
DJ Hellfire
Veteran

Hello all

I have the EXACT same issue with mine. I noticed it immediately after purchase. Sounds like a loose sway bar link or bushing. I haven't had time to really look into it, but it seems like the spare tire is a little loose. If you punch on the spare tire, it rattles a bit. I just bought mine last week and it's been in the dealer all this week for another issue. So I haven't had time to really dig into it.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:53 AM
12HemiR/T
Professional

Guys, thanks for the replies. I did remove both the jack / tire iron assembly and spare tire then road tested before I went to the dealer to make sure I ruled out the obvious and to ensure the dealer was focused on the root cause of the issue. More to come when I return from the dealer. Want to make an appointment for the dealer to take a second look at suspension and fix the remote A/C issue.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:11 PM
DJ Hellfire
Veteran

Guys, thanks for the replies. I did remove both the jack / tire iron assembly and spare tire then road tested before I went to the dealer to make sure I ruled out the obvious and to ensure the dealer was focused on the root cause of the issue. More to come when I return from the dealer. Want to make an appointment for the dealer to take a second look at suspension and fix the remote A/C issue.
What remote a/c issue do you speak of?

Quick Reply: New member w/ rear suspension issue