3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Is Smart Beam auto high beams a standard feature?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 03:06 AM
Didhefocus
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cadillac had this feature in the early seventies according to a freind of mine.
I've tried it and it worked perfectly for me! The sensor it uses is actually a camera in the rear view mirror base!

Old 07-24-2012, 09:57 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Originally Posted by Didhefocus
Cadillac had this feature in the early seventies according to a freind of mine.
I've tried it and it worked perfectly for me! The sensor it uses is actually a camera in the rear view mirror base!
Yup. the only issue that I have encountered is it cannot distinguish between oncoming headlights or strong reflections from road signs.

Here in the Northern VA area, they are really good about replacing worn signage so they are all practically new and ridiculously reflective which causes the lights to dim until you pass the sign. it is still MILES better than pushing/pulling the hi beams on and off every 30 seconds for oncoming cars

Old 07-24-2012, 02:39 PM
HeMiDD305
Professional

"SmartBeam™ intelligent headlamps automatically adjust high-beam brightness and intensity to ambient light when there’s oncoming traffic"-Dodge

I've owned my 11 Crew Hemi for just over a year, and as far as I know, everyone has the smart beam feature on their D. You have to have the high beam initiated for it to begin adjusting from hi to low. Once on a dark road, hit your high beam and as you approach lights, the beam will adjust to low

Old 07-24-2012, 04:09 PM
moparmommy
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeMiDD305

I've owned my 11 Crew Hemi for just over a year, and as far as I know, everyone has the smart beam feature on their D. You have to have the high beam initiated for it to begin adjusting from hi to low. Once on a dark road, hit your high beam and as you approach lights, the beam will adjust to low
I keep my lights on auto, so it comes on with the headlights, but my husband always turns it off since it bugs him by hitting the hi beam lever.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:36 AM
JRRF
Captain

The biggest issue I have is that if you are driving somewhere at night and all of a sudden really need your high beams, you turn them on, and then.........there is some reflection, or a red tail light in the distance, they DON'T come on. It's very frustrating to lose that sense of control over something I really need right when I need it.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:53 AM
SadaraS
Professional

I was looking at my new Durango's window sticker online and I don't see the Auto High Beams feature. I did notice it was added to the Crew on the showroom floor at the Dealership yesterday. I don't mind not having it. I'm ok with the headlights coming on automatically, but the high beam being automatic would probably end up bothering me.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:08 AM
coldsteel
Captain

Originally Posted by JRRF
The biggest issue I have is that if you are driving somewhere at night and all of a sudden really need your high beams, you turn them on, and then.........there is some reflection, or a red tail light in the distance, they DON'T come on. It's very frustrating to lose that sense of control over something I really need right when I need it.
Since the Smart beam requires the stalk to be in the hi-beam (forward) position, if you need the hi-beams immediately, you can either A)pull the stalk to middle and then back into the flash-to-pass position or B)spin your headlight switch from Auto to ON and your hi-beams will switch to normal function, which will illuminate them immediately since the stalk is still in the forward position.

Quick Reply: Is Smart Beam auto high beams a standard feature?