Old 09-21-2013, 07:37 AM
MIKEon22s
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 11-01-2013, 03:07 PM
inyadreems
Veteran

Doing oil change tomorrow, going with Mobile 1 Extended 5w20 and K&N filter.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:35 PM
fishandgrits
Veteran

I called my dealership and found out they only charge $5 to do an oil change when you bring your own oil and filter. I can physically see them do the change so for the Durango and Charger I have decided it's worth $5 to have the dealership deal with the change and disposal of the oil. No more disposal, no more oil containers taking up space, no more gloves, no more mess. Been doing my own oil changes for a long time, it's gonna be a nice break! Woohoo!!!

Old 11-02-2013, 09:23 AM
JRRF
Captain

Originally Posted by fishandgrits
I called my dealership and found out they only charge $5 to do an oil change when you bring your own oil and filter. I can physically see them do the change so for the Durango and Charger I have decided it's worth $5 to have the dealership deal with the change and disposal of the oil. No more disposal, no more oil containers taking up space, no more gloves, no more mess. Been doing my own oil changes for a long time, it's gonna be a nice break! Woohoo!!!
I'm curious to hear your experience afterwards. It's hard to believe that it's worth if for the dealer to even process your car in and out (paperwork, etc.) for 5 bucks. My guess is that at a minimum they will "recommend" other services when you're there.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:29 AM
fishandgrits
Veteran

Just got back from the dealership this morning. My total came to $5.44 as a labor charge. I took it to the dealers express lane for oil changes so wasn't offered any other services. I'm sold!!!

That was with my charger r/t so it should be the same price for my Durango as it's the same motor and capacity.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:07 PM
inyadreems
Veteran

Oil change done, curious to see if the Hemi runs quieter or smoother with a full synthetic. I might try Pennzoil Ultra next time to see if there is a difference bt Mobile 1 and PU.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:42 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

I run Ultra and mine is very quiet.
STEVE

Old 11-03-2013, 09:19 AM
inyadreems
Veteran

Originally Posted by FSTDANGO3
I run Ultra and mine is very quiet.
STEVE
Good to know, will try it next time.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:11 AM
safford197
Professional

On another brand of car, back in '07-'08, I used Mobile one synthetic 0w-20 until I noticed sludge on the inside of the filter housing (had the cartridge style filter) I gave pennzoil platinum a try and saw the sludge dissipate after only one oil change. I've been using pennzoil ever since. With my '12 Durango 5.7L I've used both regular and synthetic, platinum and now ultra, all seem good. The regular and platinum had plenty of detergent remaining after 5K miles on the regular and 7K miles on the platinum of 60/40 hwy to city mileage. I had the oil analyzed just to verify and to determine if the interval can be extended - after both analysis were done the report suggested another 1K miles for each oil type would be acceptable. I only have ~18K miles on my D now, and less then 1K miles on the Ultra, so I won't know the results of the Ultra for some time, planning a trip around all the Gulf Coast States in December and will likely change the oil when I get back - I'll post the analysis results then. (if I remember)

Quick Reply: Oil Change DIY