3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Sequential Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Norge
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sequential Turn Signals - INSTALLED!

UPDATE: I have installed these now. It's my first version of the setup which you can see in following posts.

Does anyone know of a universal kit for sequential turn signals? I want to do this to mine, but no one makes a kit... yet. I looked into the Challenger's MOPAR kit, but once I realized it had four bulbs, I know it won't work right. There's the Mustang kit, but since it's plug and play there'd be very little instructions for wiring to the Durango. I know, whatever setup I find currently, I would have to wire in, which is no issue.

Last edited by Norge; 07-29-2012 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Updated title for being installed
Old 07-19-2012, 07:51 PM
jwr9152
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this:

http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm

But I don't know anything about the company.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Norge
Professional

Yeah, I'd found them and emailed, but haven't heard anything back yet --(See below)--. Hopefully I can find something. I'd like to make it a little more personalized and figure if I can get sequential turn signals like my '70 Nissan that came with it stock, that'll work.

EDIT: I've heard back from them and they say the STS-1 kit will work and it's now on order!!! Now I have to start some research... Does anyone have any information on the rear light wiring?!?!

I have to figure out if I'm going to try to get a receptacle for the door lights so I can run combo high/low bulbs or if I want to use as is and wire it in with only the park light brightness on those.

Last edited by Norge; 07-19-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:40 PM
Norge
Professional

Well, I've looked through the manual and can't find the part number for the rear door parking light bulbs. So tomorrow I guess I'll have to pull open the access to those so I can figure out what path I'm going to take.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:57 PM
CMil527
Champion

Sounds like a fun project!

Old 07-20-2012, 08:27 AM
Norge
Professional

Well, after some digging I found the "Liftgate Tail Lamps" bulb type. I found it interesting that it doesn't list these bulbs in the User's Guide booklet or on the Durango App, but it is listed in the Owner's Manual that you can find online.
It's a 194 bulb, so it's not one that has a receptacle style that would match a combo bulb of any sort. So I'll have to decide if I want the sequential lights will use them as is or if I want to modify the assemblies to fit the right type of bulbs.

On another note, WTH was Dodge doing when they wrote the owner's manual?! I've looked at the procedure for accessing these bulbs, and it mentions: 4. Open the flipper glass. ?!?!?! I may have missed something, but I'm about certain the liftgate window does not open! It also mentions the liftgate flipper glass in a couple other spots. So I'm expecting that this will be another time I'll have to figure out what they meant as I'm going. (I had to do this for the tow receiver, the instructions failed to mention a couple of things I had to figure out on my own.)

Old 07-20-2012, 10:59 AM
jwr9152
Professional

when you get your turn signals done, I would like to see and update.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:28 AM
hwy101
Professional

me too

Old 07-28-2012, 07:45 PM
Norge
Professional

Ok, the Webelectricproducts STS-1 kit had come in and to limit cutting existing wiring I also got the Curt Trailer harness kit since it comes with connectors for the brake/turn signal. So today I decided to install the sequential turn signals. From the start I had to make a decision on how in depth I'd go since the liftgate lights are only parking lights from the factory. They use a 194 ~4 watt bulb. I decided I didn't want to try to install a combo park/turn signal since I would have to find a different bulb receptacle to install it. So I opted to get rid of the liftgate parking lights and switch the bulbs to 921 ~18 watt bulbs and make them turn/brake lights only. But I also did things in a way that I can change my mind and attempt an upgrade later if I desire.

So, first was pulling off the liftgate's inside panel and getting the bulbs out. They are NOT convenient to access and you have to wonder what Dodge was thinking with this. Here you can see the bulbs out and I also have the top inside liner removed for wiring. (The left side is already wired and can see a little bit of it):

I swapped the bulbs, putting in the 921 ones:

I cut & capped the existing parking light wiring, and ran two new wires on each side for the turn signals the 921 bulbs have become. Here you can see the new wire running from the inner most light:

Here you can see the inner most again on the left, and the middle light is located under the metal fold behind the brown wire I have running to it. It is one of the worst setups I've ever seen and it becomes more tricky with the larger bulb:

I ran the wiring up the door and through the connector on each side, you can see the left one here:

I intended to run the wiring through with the existing parking light wires, but they did not appear to go out trough the body to the outer taillights, and instead forward to the front of the car. Since I didn't want to tear it all apart to run this, I opted to run the wires out from the liftgate and to the weatherstripping:

There they go through the weatherstripping down the side to the spot where there's an existing gap in the bumper and through that. Here you can see the left side:

Now, I've realized I completely spaced getting any pics of the taillight, but the wiring easily runs to it and the instructions for the STS-1 kit were very easy. I can take one of if someone absolutely needs to see how it was done.

Ok, I've got video, but it does not seem to want to embed. Once I figure out how I'll get it posted. I know that's what everyone wants to see.

Last edited by Norge; 07-28-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:54 PM
Norge
Professional

Ok, the code to post this from flickr doesn't want to cooperate. So I'll just post the link to the video:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54588344@N05/7664908888/

Last edited by Norge; 07-28-2012 at 07:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Sequential Turn Signals