3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2012 Citadel Hemi Knocking

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Kwdriver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Citadel Hemi Knocking

Well here is the current issue I am having with my Citadel and I need some opinions from the community. It all started when the vehicle just had 1900 miles and I noticed a slight knocking or ticking noise in the engine, knowing that some engines have the Hemi tick I still decided to bring it in and have it documented. So fast forward a few months, several dealer visits for the engine, engine being overfilled with oil by dealer, rack and pinion replaced, intermediate shaft replaced and other small issues the knocking has progressively gotten worst. The truck has 8500 miles now and the knocking can be heard even after reaching operating temperature, the service manager says its normal and could be piston slap but the general manager says it sounds like crap and its not normal. So now on tuesday the regional manager for Chrysler is coming down to look at the vehicle, which brings me to my questions.

1. Has anyone had the same knocking sound in their engines?
Video is located:

2. What should I be asking for when I speak to the regional guy? New engine?

Dont know if my vehicle was put together on a Monday after the workers had a long weekend but its just too many things going wrong.Its sad that Ive had so many issues with this one vehicle, I loved the feel of it until all these things came up. Any other input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Old 08-10-2012, 09:35 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

If I had to guess I would say you've got a problem with a lifter, rocker, or pushrod. Pop your plastic engine cover off and use a stethoscope to determine which side, by placing it against both valve covers. You may be able to figure out which cylinder if it is bad enough.

I doubt it is piston slap since that typically occurs with worn cylinders and would go away after a minute or so of starting a cold engine.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:42 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Forgot to answer your second question. I believe they should make an effort to diagnose and fix it - they should have a stethoscope. If they can't or won't diganose and fix it, then demand a new engine, and if they won't then keep taking it back until you can lemon law it.

Some dealerhip mechanics don't understand engines - it is a black box to them. They are like the customer service phone people following a script. If they can't figure it out following their script or using their diagnostic tools, then there is apparently no problem.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:06 PM
Kwdriver

Originally Posted by bbtkd
Forgot to answer your second question. I believe they should make an effort to diagnose and fix it - they should have a stethoscope. If they can't or won't diganose and fix it, then demand a new engine, and if they won't then keep taking it back until you can lemon law it.

Some dealerhip mechanics don't understand engines - it is a black box to them. They are like the customer service phone people following a script. If they can't figure it out following their script or using their diagnostic tools, then there is apparently no problem.
Thanks for the reply, and Yup I've ran into that at this dealer already, seems like they are happy with what the diagnostic machine says and are quick to call it normal. The good thing about the Chrysler guy coming is that hopefully he can push the service department to actually do some work. Just hate the fact that I spent 40+k on a truck and it sounds like this.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:19 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Originally Posted by Kwdriver
Thanks for the reply, and Yup I've ran into that at this dealer already, seems like they are happy with what the diagnostic machine says and are quick to call it normal. The good thing about the Chrysler guy coming is that hopefully he can push the service department to actually do some work. Just hate the fact that I spent 40+k on a truck and it sounds like this.
If a problem is purely mechanical and does not manifest itself in a way that is detectable by sensors, then their machine can't help them. Kind of like taking your laptop in for a bad screen, and they run diagnostics which show no problem.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:19 AM
DJ Hellfire
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally would demand a new engine. They'll have your vehicle for weeks if they have to find this noise and fix it. It'd be one thing if your car was over 24k-30k miles, but you've had this problem since 1900 miles! You paid for a new truck, so it should have come with a new functioning engine, not one that needed a repair before the first oil change!

i'm right there with you though. Six more days and my truck is officially a LEMON!

Last edited by DJ Hellfire; 08-11-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:54 AM
bster
Rookie

Very interested with how you make out. That video sounds very familiar to me. Asked at my dealer about that sound one time and was given the "That's how they are" answer. They need to start being more accountable for the products they are producing. It is true though, if the part isnt laying on the floor broken, they struggle to repair. The dealers are very hesitant or reluctant to pursue any "noise" issues.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:23 PM
safford197
Professional

Get familiar with your state's lemon law and quote a few things from there for the regional rep. If you're interested in a replacement you have to initiate the idea into their heads - they are not ever going to volunteer replacement. In my experience the regional rep is a politician and is only going to tell you what you need to hear until it comes down to dollars and cents. The ironic thing is in most states you could have opted to lemon it for the steering issue. Anything safety related, i.e. steering or brakes, you have the option to refuse repairs and ask for a refund under the lemon law. For mechanical issues the MFG likely has a "reasonable" number of attempts to repair. Reasonable being defined by the MFG and not the consumer.

If they won't fix it or lemon it, it's got a long power train warranty - use it till it gets really bad.

Either way, Good luck!

Old 08-11-2012, 02:05 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Another thought is that if the service department at your dealership isn't cutting it, ask around about other Dodge dealerships. Even if you have to travel a bit, it would be worth it if they know what they're doing. They still make money off warranty repairs, so they'll gladly take your business.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Kwdriver

Thanks for the replies guys, Im trying to work things out with the dealer before I initiate any legal courses with them. Im in the military and Ive talked to JAG about the issues and they pretty much echo everything that Ive heard on the forum so far, they just advised me to cross my T's and dot my I's when it comes to documenting these things with the dealer so I can use them later with the Lemon claim.
I also keep asking to get it in writing where Chrysler specifically says that its normal for "some" of their engines to sound like that and no one can produce anything solid. Its funny because I took both Managers around the lot and listened to all the Durangos with Hemis and by far mine is the loudest. The conformity is just not there when it comes to my engine, the good thing is that Ive already planted the seed in the general managers head about getting a replacement engine and he totally agrees. The only guy that says its normal is the service manager which is the same guy that told me the Durango had electronic steering when I was after them on the steering issue. Just too many issues with this vehicle so far for it being "brand new"

Quick Reply: 2012 Citadel Hemi Knocking