3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Rt owners help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 10:53 PM
adbutz
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after the third alignment and a ****ty install on the mud flaps my Durango still pulls to the right. dodge will be keeping my Durango to test the brakes as they think one might be grabbing or something like that. At least at this point I can give them a B- as at least they are trying to resolve this problem. They say they resolved the steering wheel wobble but I won't believe it until I see it for my self.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:18 PM
adbutz
Rookie

Well after two days in the shop and multiple tests the Dodge boys and girls are unable to figure out why this vehicle pulls to the right even on a flat road. They have contacted the experts at dodge and are awaiting a response on what to replace or try next. At this point it appears they are trying to fix the problem for which I am grateful. However, I am still skepitical, as I come to expect the old saying "can't duplicate problems" or "normal vehicle behavior for this particular model" or something to that effect anyways. Anyone else have any suggestions I can pass on to the dodge crew.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Trace3rd
Professional

We had a similar experience, only they got it taken care of on the second alignment. They said the front and rear were pigeon toed! From the factory evedintly because we noticed it on the drive home from the dealer and had it fixed the next day. When I asked why they didnt find it the first time, they said that that adjustment is not checked normally, sounded fishy to me though.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:49 AM
adbutz
Rookie

Interesting... I will give them one more day to try and figure this problem out before I start putting in my two cents. Maybe this would help explained why the rear tires look like they are angled outwards as the bottom sticks out more than the top. On my second visit I talked to the service manager and pointed out the angle, to which, he then told me they are like that to add corner stability. Seemed logical so I didn't question it any further. Anyone else notice there tires are angled especially in the rear?

Old 08-30-2012, 12:20 PM
mm25ftx
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Citadel with AWD that is about 3 weeks old and went to the dealership 2 days after i bought it for the same issue. They checked tire pressure, balance and alignment and they said everything checks out. They gave me the same BS about the road pitch and they were unable to duplicate the issue. SO i guess i wait to see if it gets worse or this thread sheds some light on it. I guess i'll have to have somebody drive my truck and i can follow behind it to see if the rear is aligned properly with the front. Its my first Dodge ever...i hope this issue doesn't snow ball into something worse.

Actually, come to think of it, the service manager said something about trying a higher grade fuel for the shaking steering at around 65. He said that sometimes the drive train sends vibrations through the steering. I guess i should probably give that a try, but i doubt its going to fix the vehicle pulling right from a launch.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:14 AM
adbutz
Rookie

4th day in the shop and the Dodge technicians have handed the vehicle off to an autobody shop to see if there are any defects in the body and frame that may be causing the pull to the right. I will update when I hear back.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:09 PM
adbutz
Rookie

Well after 8 alignments, a wheel swap and 350kms worth of test drives it appears the pulling to the right issue has been resloved by the last alignment. This makes me wonder though! Why was it so diffucult to align this unit? Did they simply align the vehicle to mask an under lying problem that they did not fix. Can I expect this vehicle to have the same issue in the future?

There was a slight improvement in the wheel wobble after the fifth tire balance. However, once I get to 100kph I can still feel and see the steering wheel vibrate a little. I must admit though it is much better. When I pushed the issue, the tech informed that there was a TSB for the KUHMO tires. Basically the TSB stated that the tires have an issues with flat spotting. At this point there is no TSB to replace the tires it just basically says they are aware of it. I'm sorry but if Dodge is aware of the issue, and refuses to fix it thats tells me Dodge does not care for their customers. I might push for the Citadel rubber for my RT. Anyone think it will be an improvement? I don't drive aggressive therefore performance is not an issue.

Last edited by adbutz; 09-13-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:16 PM
GotRPM
Professional

I'm glad you have some resolution to your problems, but I have to wonder - if it really is the tires, then why are so few reporting the issue? Are the tires on the AWD different than on the RWD? Aren't the tires on the Citadel the same - the dimensions are the same according to the website. The 3-season performance tires are an option, perhaps that would be a solution. I have noted that the 265/50R20 tires are apparently discontinued by Kuhmos, so I wonder what will be used in the future.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:47 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by adbutz
Well after 8 alignments, a wheel swap and 350kms worth of test drives it appears the pulling to the right issue has been resloved by the last alignment. This makes me wonder though! Why was it so diffucult to align this unit? Did they simply align the vehicle to mask an under lying problem that they did not fix. Can I expect this vehicle to have the same issue in the future?

There was a slight improvement in the wheel wobble after the fifth tire balance. However, once I get to 100kph I can still feel and see the steering wheel vibrate a little. I must admit though it is much better. When I pushed the issue, the tech informed that there was a TSB for the KUHMO tires. Basically the TSB stated that the tires have an issues with flat spotting. At this point there is no TSB to replace the tires it just basically says they are aware of it. I'm sorry but if Dodge is aware of the issue, and refuses to fix it thats tells me Dodge does not care for there customers. I might push for the Citadel rubber for my RT. Anyone think it will be an improvement? I don't drive aggressive therefore performance is not an issue.

Adbutz,

I apologize for your ongoing alignment concerns, this is the first I've heard of flat spotting on a Durango. Your Dodge dealer will be able to assist you
if you are having problems with the tires, but tires are warranted by the tire manufacturers, not by Dodge Canada. You will have to inquire with Kuhmo regarding the coverage. You can contact the Kuhmo Customer Care department at 1-800-445-8646.

The 2012 Citadel comes with Goodyear Fortera's. If you want to review with your dealer, they can recommend a replacement tire based on your specific requirements such as cost, fuel mileage, performance, ride, etc.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:52 PM
adbutz
Rookie

Hey Katie

I appreciate the response, but I don't understand how Dodge can wash their hands of this problem. If I purchase the vehicle brand new and the problem exists why should I have to go through all of the trouble of dealing with KUHMO. When it comes down to it, Dodge is the consumer and they should be the ones doing all the leg work to get my tires replaced. As an example, do I have to call Bilstein when my Chargers shocks fail? No I do not! It is a vehicle part just like the rest and Dodge contracts it out and then they put the part on while in assembly . It should not be the responsibilty of the vehicle owner to sit on hold while attempting to speak with an over worked disgruntled in-take caller at KUHMO. This is a problem that has been there from day one and was acknowledged by the tech at my dealership. He was the one who advised me of the TSB as it was not something I found on my own. He basically claimed his hands were tied as the TSB did not give the authority for the dealership to replace the tires. It basically stated the problem should go away after 20 minutes of driving which it does not. To suggest it is my responsibilty is another example of how Dodge does not step up for its customers. I am sorry if I am coming across as jerk, but I don't see why I should be the one dealing with KUHMO.

Here is a good example of customer service. I replaced all of my tires on my Charger this Spring at a store called Kal Tire. This is a store I will continue to use as I continuously get good customer service. As it turned out after the tires were installed a mild vibration showed up. Several balances were done, but to no avail. Kal Tire was unable to determine which tire was too blame, so they decided to order 4 more. Did I have to call NITTO to return the tires? No I did not as Kal Tire did it for me. This is customer service and is something Dodge should look into.

Quick Reply: Rt owners help please