3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Rt owners help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 01:35 PM
adbutz
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rt owners help please

Anyone with the rt package find that their unit likes to drift to the right. Mine seems to have a strong pull to the right even after two alignments from the dealership. This occurs while driving around town and on the highway. I know road slope plays into this effect, but even on seemingly level roads, the vehicle darts to the right very quickly. Tire pressure is equal on both sides. When the road slopes to left it takes the unit a lot longer to veer towards the ditch.

Also does anyone else notice the steering wheel likes to wobble back and forth?

Lots of issues turning up on my unit, therefore, I'm starting to regret the purchase

Old 08-26-2012, 02:18 PM
jdloyd01
Rookie

I can't find the specific messages, but I know I have seen some others have issues with the wobbling steering wheel. I seem to remember an issue with the wheels and/or the tires.

I have an 11 R/T and have not had any issues with the steering.

Old 08-26-2012, 04:12 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Originally Posted by jdloyd01
I can't find the specific messages, but I know I have seen some others have issues with the wobbling steering wheel. I seem to remember an issue with the wheels and/or the tires.

I have an 11 R/T and have not had any issues with the steering.
There was quite a long thread from one fellow who repeatedly took his back for a similar thing. It got progressively worse and they tried swapping tires, aligning, etc. Sounded like it got unsafe to drive over 55MPH. He finally got Chrysler involved and ended up lemon-lawing it, and getting a Caravan instead. Several others offered that they were having similar but less severe issues. If there was ever a resolution, I never heard it.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:19 PM
bbtkd
Veteran
Old 08-26-2012, 08:25 PM
12HemiR/T
Professional

I would say 98% of the time I experience no pulling; drifting or vibration. The other 2% of the time I feel a steering wheel shake in the morning usually on the way to work at about 65 MPH. During most of the highway driving my D drives smooth. At this point I dismiss as tire balance, but will follow with dealer on next visit.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:54 PM
coldsteel
Captain

Originally Posted by 12HemiR/T
I would say 98% of the time I experience no pulling; drifting or vibration. The other 2% of the time I feel a steering wheel shake in the morning usually on the way to work at about 65 MPH. During most of the highway driving my D drives smooth. At this point I dismiss as tire balance, but will follow with dealer on next visit.
Check you air pressures. Depending on the tire pressure and the temps you're in, you may be feeling flat-spotting in the tires from sitting overnight with too low a pressure. It goes away as the temperature builds and increases pressure in the tire.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:04 AM
adbutz
Rookie

wow.... what a long and worrying read that thread was. Looks like I'm potentially in for a bumpy ride with my dealership. Its scary to know that many people are experiencing this problem, but no one has figured out what the problem is. Or maybe dodge does know, but they are not stepping up and dealing with it. It amazes me that dodge refuses to replace parts simply on the fact that they "look good" like they have some magical mirror to look inside the internal components. Reading that thread it doesn't even appear that any shocks or steering components were replaced outside of that one steering shaft that does not appear to be the problem.

End rant here!!!

As for the tire pressure, I have tried an air pressure range from door recommendation(36psi) up to the tire max(44 PSI). The vibration seems to be there no matter the tire pressure. Not to mention the ride is extremely rough with the tire pressure above 38psi.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:23 AM
GotRPM
Professional
Cool

As for the tire pressure, I have tried an air pressure range from door recommendation(36psi) up to the tire max(44 PSI). The vibration seems to be there no matter the tire pressure. Not to mention the ride is extremely rough with the tire pressure above 38psi.
The poster was not responding to you, but to the fellow who had a vibration while going to work. Flat-spotting has little to do with air pressure, it has everything to do with tire construction. Clearly you have a more serious issue.

BTW, is your R/T an AWD model?

Old 08-27-2012, 12:01 PM
adbutz
Rookie

It is an awd... does there appear to be a connection to this system

Old 08-28-2012, 04:22 PM
GotRPM
Professional
Cool

Because the front end parts are so different between RWD and AWD, the problem might only be with the AWD vehicles - or not. That could explain why only a few folks have seen the issue. Understand I do not know for certain, just trying to reduce the variables.

Quick Reply: Rt owners help please