3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

V6 towing report/conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Stoopalini
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Norge
In the end, the only thing I don't have from the tow package is the 220 amp alternator.
Just FYI: The tow group IV package for the V6 also includes an engine oil cooler. It's a Laminova style heat exchanger installed in the filter housing, and transfers heat from the oil to the coolant.

Trailer Tow Group IV Window Sticker lists:
  • Engine Oil Cooler
  • Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
  • 220-Amp Alternator
  • Class IV Receiver Hitch
  • 7- and 4-pin Wiring Harness
  • Rear Load Leveling Suspension
  • Full-Size Spare Tire
  • Steel Spare Wheel
Sounds like you added everything except the larger radiator and oil cooler, and it did fine with 4500lbs. I think without the factory towing package, Dodge states the towing capacity at 5000lbs, so you'd be fine anyway. With the tow package, they up it to 6200lbs.

Here's a breakout of the oil cooler setup:

Old 09-24-2012, 11:19 AM
safford197
Professional

Very nice write up. I enjoyed reading it, I'd wish you luck with your project car but sounds like you make your own luck.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:27 AM
jnschnit
Rookie

Excellent write up. This will be very much appreciated by all. Thank you for taking the time and effort.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:27 PM
figgity_diggity

Great write up Norge! Thanks for the part numbers for the shocks. What did you get charged for the full size spare (and do you have part numbers perhaps)? Reason I ask is that I bought a Citadel without the tow package (I have the cooling already) but I'm missing the rear shocks and full size spare. The dealer quoted me something like ~$800 for the spare....I'd just as soon as order it elsewhere. Related, did you get the TPM sensor properly mounted in the new spare too? Difficult?

Old 09-25-2012, 07:44 PM
Norge
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stoopalini: I double checked and mine has the oil cooler setup. The 2011 model tow package list I'd looked at didn't list an oil cooler for some reason. For the radiator, I've looked and the parts listing only listed one part number for the radiator, unlike the V8 which does have a tow and non-tow version. However when I was double checking the info, I found that the V6 lists different electrical cooling fans. So that's on the list to change before the next tow.

figgity_diggity: the spare wheel part # is 68051987AB. I was able to get mine used from a wrecked Grand Cherokee for $150. Just have to keep an eye on eBay and such. As far as the TPM, Dodge has gone cheap and don't have sensors in the spare. Disappointing since it's the last one anyone would check, especially before you need it.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Miljack

Thanks for the write up, wished you had done this in January! Oh well, we ended up getting a R/T because of the additional towing capacity with the V8. I must say it tows great!

How did you get your engine temps? That's some good data so at least you can know if you're getting close to a problem.

When I was looking at the V6 Durangos, many on lots did not have the tow package, so that also put us off on the V6 setup. I really wanted to like that engine, but honestly, not enough torque for me.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:39 AM
Stoopalini
Rookie

Originally Posted by Miljack
When I was looking at the V6 Durangos, many on lots did not have the tow package, so that also put us off on the V6 setup. I really wanted to like that engine, but honestly, not enough torque for me.
I hear that a lot as well, but when you dig into the numbers, it's actually on par with a lot of V8s not too many years ago

2012 Dodge Durango with the 3.6l V6:
  • Torque: 260 ft-lbs. @ 4800 rpm
  • Horsepower: 290 hp @ 6400 rpm

Ford F150 with the 4.6l V8:
  • 2000 year model
    • Torque: 255 ft-lbs. @ 3700 rpm
    • Horsepower: 205 hp @ 4950 rpm
  • 2005 year model
    • Torque: 293 ft-lbs. @ 3500 rpm
    • Horsepower: 231 hp @ 4750 rpm
  • 2009 year model
    • Torque: 294 ft-lbs. @ 4000 rpm
    • Horsepower: 248 hp @ 4750 rpm

Chevy 1500 with the 4.8l V8:
  • 2000 year model
    • Torque: 260 ft-lbs. @ 2800 rpm
    • Horsepower: 200 hp @ 4600 rpm
  • 2005 year model
    • Torque: 295 ft-lbs. @ 4000 rpm
    • Horsepower: 285 hp @ 5200 rpm
  • 2009 year model
    • Torque: 305 ft-lbs. @ 4600 rpm
    • Horsepower: 295 hp @ 5600 rpm
I think the real downside for the V6's practical towing use is the gear ratio, not the TQ/HP output. The 3.6l pentastar out performs both GM and Chevy V8s from 2000. Granted the D is probably heavier than the F150 or the 1500, so extra TQ would be nice, but it's certainly not limiting the towing ability.

Last weekend, I had another race weekend and towed my GTO to the track. The car + trailer + tools + spare parts + etc ... equals about 6000lbs. It gets off the line a bit slow, but once up to speed, it does great! I averaged 16.5mpg on a 4hr trip

Old 10-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Miljack

Stoop, thanks for the reply, I agree with the facts as presented, however, the V6's torque delivery is too high in the RPM range, and the gearing as chosen by Dodge doesn't allow the vehicle to "feel torquey" if that makes sense.
Our company has a Dodge Sprinter with "only" 248 ft-lbs of torque, and it feels like it will pull a house down! That engine is producing a majority of it's torque @ ~1500 rpm, and is geared to transmit that torque well.
So, if Dodge geared the V6 Durango so it will rev quicker, the V6 would be a great setup, but I suspect CAFE standards create a big problem here...

Your towing MPG is awesome, makes me wonder what our V8 will get towing. I haven't checked MPG's yet towing, but will soon.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Norge
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Miljack: I got the temps off the EVIC under vehicle info. I was able to flip back and forth and keep an I eye on it.

On another note, I got the tow package fan... but it's definately not plug and play. Different plug, heavy duty wiring and setup. So it'll take some research to use it.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:13 PM
Stoopalini
Rookie

Originally Posted by Miljack
...... the V6's torque delivery is too high in the RPM range ..... if Dodge geared the V6 Durango so it will rev quicker, the V6 would be a great setup
I completely agree with you, although the torque peak being so high in the RPM range does make it easy to tow at speed. If you look at the Pentastar's TQ curve, it's actually pretty good ... even below 2k

So basically, you have 250 ft/lbs of TQ starting around 1700 - 1800 RPM ... not bad at all

When we 1st bought the D, I called my dealer to see about getting a gear swap performed. They said they were going to look into it and call me back, but never did. I also called a driveline shop, but they weren't sure ... I guess it's still too new a platform for stuff like gear swaps?

But now that the D has about 11k miles on it, I don't think I'm going to do it after all. For some reason, the D feels stronger now than it did when it was new. Maybe there is something to the comments I've been reading about them being broken in and developing a stronger/smoother pickup?

Quick Reply: V6 towing report/conversion