3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Trunk dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 11:03 AM
lelehaine
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk dimensions

Hi Guys!
Please, can some lucky owner tell me the dimensions of the trunk? I googled a bit with no luck.
I'm interested in the area behind the 3rd seats row. I'm going to rent this suv on my next vacation but in my country we don't have this type of car so i have no idea about how big it really is.
In some pictures it looks like a spacious trunk, in others not so much spacious.
Could you please tell me the floor length and depth, the depth at shoulder level (where there's that rolling stuff that covers the trunk area) and relative height of this point from the trunk floor?
We need to figure out how many baggages we can carry with us. It's me with 5 more friends.
Do you think it is possible to stack up stuff up to the headliner? How many inches from the floor to the headliner?

Thank you very MUCH!!!

Old 10-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Imamad1
Rookie

From behind the 2nd row to the tailgate is 51"
From armrest to armrest in the 3rd row area is 42". It is another 5" on top of the armrest.
From floor to headliner with 3rd row folded down is 33"
Hope this helps. You can put a lot of stuff in here. I've tried.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:18 AM
Waynead
Veteran

It's not very big behind the third row. About 21' deep, 45" wide, 33" high. I can't imagine luggage for 5 fitting there.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:25 AM
lelehaine

Thank you for answering Imamad1.
I'm not really confindend with the terms (i'm from italy) but i think you are describing the cargo area with the 3rd row folded down, am i correct?
As we are 6 (me + 5 friends) we need at least half 3rd row up.
I was interested in particular to the size of the volume behind the 3rd row, with the 3rd row up.
Thanks!

Old 10-16-2012, 11:31 AM
lelehaine

Originally Posted by Waynead
I can't imagine luggage for 5 fitting there.
Thanks!

What about half seat folded down?

Old 10-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Total Loss
Rookie

Pick up a roof top storage box and stick all of your luggage up there. It'll be out of the way during your trip and your passengers will enjoy having plenty of room in the cabin. This is just another suggestion, in case you hadn't thought of it:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2846067-post12.html

Old 10-16-2012, 11:42 AM
kingofwylietx
Professional

While you can get 6 people in the vehicle, you will not get all their luggage unless you use the roof rack. If you don't wish to use the roof rack, you should look at a larger vehicle.

If I was travelling with 5 friends and taking luggage.......I would not rent anything smaller than a Suburban, Tahoe, minivan, custom van, passenger van, or Expedition.

Alternatively, you guys can rent 2 vehicles for what 1 large one will cost. Oversized vehicles are almost always listed as Luxury SUV and they are always more expensive than renting two smaller ones. If you get 2 small vehicles, your gas expense will probably be about the same, plus you will have more flexibility.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Imamad1
Rookie

That would be a tight fit with the 3rd row up. You could a you said, put one seat up in the 3rd row.
Pack light.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:31 PM
lelehaine

Hi guys, thank you for answering me.

Yea the roof box is an option, but a bit expensive. We are trying to save as much as we can, because Iceland is very very expensive. The vehicle is $2200 for 13 days, $2450 including the roof box. So we would like to know how big is the trunk to see if we can save the additional $250 (I could buy a new one for that price... it's like renting the car for $35000... )
Damn, I can't belive that in 2011 i got a GMC Acadia in Las Vegas and paid 500$ for 10 days... and we were just me and my wife!

We are also trying to find something bigger, but unfortunately they don't have such a great choice of vehicles. We need a 4WD because we need to cross rivers and stuff like that and the durango is one of the biggest that we found. We also found a Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer (the biggest jeep we found) from a company called CHEAPJEEP.IS... it's a little cheaper, $2000 but it's a 1998 model, in fact they rent 15 years old vehicles to be on a budget, but i read of many breakdowns from them... this Durango is the 2012 model... guess much more safe!
Also, it may be cheaper to rent, but should be more expensive for the gasoline, as we estimated a 2500 miles trip and the dodge should save more gasoline.

We did also thought about 2 separate cars, but they are not very cheaper. For $900 you get a car that in the US you may not even consider a car (kia picanto) and it's not 4wd (even if it was, it's so small that for crossing a river you'd better have a dive mask with you...). a small 4WD jeep starts from $1400... Also 2 cars = less fun, as we will spend a lot of time in the car, all togheter would be better.

We were also thinking about buying a roof bag (like a roof box, but made of fabric)... you can buy a cheap one for 50 bucks but it would be a little tricky to mount without the roof racks... do you think we could consider this option?

That's why i was trying to get an exact idea of the available space, to see if we can carry just the basic things we need in our backpacs and put everything in the trunk. Just to see if trying to be as basic as possible would let us fit in the car or it's just a useless effort... Because you know, we are 3 guys and 3 girls, and you know... the word "girl" doesn't match very well with "small luggages", so convincing them to leave all their "absolutely usefull stuff" at home to discover that we need the roof box anyways... would be a pain in the ear for the rest of the vacation! In fact, the roof box is the second option if the space is not enough.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:16 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife and I own both a Honda Odyssey and a Durango. I was going to post that you need a minivan, but the off road requirements rule that out.

On that note however I would point out that the Durango is quite low to the ground, and although I have not had a chance to test mine in anything serious, the V6 system is all wheel drive not true 4 wheel drive. Not sure how that factors into your plans, but I believe all V8 models (except those that are rear drive only) have the more robust 4wd system with low range. Sounds like you need the low range option.

Quick Reply: Trunk dimensions