3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Seat noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 01:21 PM
NY-Durango
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have leather so it appears it doesn't matter which interior you have from what I am seeing here.

Old 10-19-2012, 02:35 PM
FrankADavisJr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the same passenger seat issue. There is a faint rattling noise (my family thinks I am nuts, but I clearly hear it when driving alone) that is only present when someone is NOT sitting in the passenger seat. When there is a passenger, the noise goes away. Given the great input on this thread, I'm going to have my son sit forward on the seat to see if it is the seat cushion, or the seat back that is causing the noise.

I've been lucky so far (fingers crossed) but this rattling is driving me nuts!

Old 10-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Total Loss
Rookie

Originally Posted by FrankADavisJr
I've got the same passenger seat issue. There is a faint rattling noise (my family thinks I am nuts, but I clearly hear it when driving alone) that is only present when someone is NOT sitting in the passenger seat. When there is a passenger, the noise goes away. Given the great input on this thread, I'm going to have my son sit forward on the seat to see if it is the seat cushion, or the seat back that is causing the noise.

I've been lucky so far (fingers crossed) but this rattling is driving me nuts!
Just wondering if you've checked the female seatbelt buckle receiver?

Check this out: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ing-noise.html

Old 10-19-2012, 04:14 PM
FrankADavisJr
Professional

Thanks for posting that link! It sounds like the noise I am hearing and the noise does disappear when I have a passenger. Unfortunately, I did try buckling the seat belt without a passenger present, and the noise is still there, so I am kindof leaning towards something in the seat frame that is rattling due to road vibration, but then is pressed firmly and quiet with weight on it.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:14 PM
sonya1224

I have a noise that somewhat sounds like a squeaking noise. When I first heard it, I could tell it was coming from the center passenger side seat area. I thought it was the seatbelt at first because when my daughter's carseat is buckled in, it doesn't make the noise. It only does it when her carseat isn't there. My husband figured out that it was coming from the headrest. When he put it down, it didn't make the noise at all. He put the headrest back up and the noise returned.

Last edited by sonya1224; 10-19-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:14 PM
cbrrider012
Professional

Mine is not coming from the seatbelt area. But actually on the left rear corner under your *** in the seat. I had the truck at the dealer and tried to get it fixed. They said they could not replicate it. I took the service manager for a ride and pointed out the sounds to him. He took it into the back and said everything under the seat is fine and unless there is something that is breaking or looks wrong they will not be able to do anything to fix the issue. I hope DodgeCares steps in here and helps me because I am striking out with the dealer and its starting to irritate me.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:31 AM
GDM
Professional
Default Seat Noise

I too have noticed a cracking or popping noise occasionally on the driver seat when exiting or pressing back in that seat on my '11 crew with cloth seats. I have determined it to be the lumbar support making that noise as it flexes when I apply pressure to it from time to time. Not sure what that is made of. Also, the second row male end of the seat belts (when not in use) occasionally hit the plastic surface and rattle I have found.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:19 AM
cbrrider012
Professional

Unfortunately I do not have adjustable lumbar support.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:48 AM
NY-Durango
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made an appointment with the dealer for this Tuesday 11/2 so I will let everyone know how I make out. The noises that everyone is describing seems to be the same so this seems to be a pretty common problem. I'll keep my fingers crossed and hopefully it will be fixed in one visit.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:10 PM
kingofwylietx
Professional

I found what is making the noise under the drivers seat. I didn't have time to try to fix it and won't be able to mess with it until Monday or Tuesday.

I removed the left side panel and got someone to rock back and forth sitting in the seat till they could consistently get it to make the sound. Once he was doing that, I was able to track it down. The part is the top pivot point that raises the front of the seat up (it is just under the metal seat pan). It is a large metal rivet that is threaded and has a silver nut facing inward. I could feel it creaking. I tried tightening it, no improvement. I ran out of time, because I had to put everything back together so I could get home. I'm not sure why it doesn't do it when adjusting the seat up and down.

Quick Reply: Seat noise