3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Uconnect Phonebook

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 07:43 AM
xsdbs
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, What this seems to be is that your buddies contact information is on the Uconnect "local" PB.
Uconnect has a memory slot to store manually entered contacts. These slots are filled by pressing the Uconnect button, saying "phonebook", you'll be asked to select one of the following.......
You can select "new entry" to insert a contact.
When you add or delete contacts this way, it doesn't add or delete from the phone itself. However it can cause a conflict.
Each time that you turn the ignition off, when you come back to the vehicle and turn the key on (or start the engine) the phones pb is downloaded. Now Uconnect is going thru the newly downloaded pb and comparing it to the old stored pb for any changes that have been made. Depending on how many contacts that you have on the phone, it can take a few minutes for the correct version and sometimes it won't be stored for using VR commands until the next ign cycle.
Do you remember adding his # manually into the systems pb?

Originally Posted by JRRF
Well that was instructive, and very strange. When the BT is connected and I ask for the list I get the entire phone book. When I ask for details I get the old/wrong number that simply doesn't exist anywhere in my phone anymore. When I kill the BT, my buddy is the ONLY name in the car's phone book, and the home number is the correct/new number. Don't ask me how that happened, but it sure seems backwards from what I'd expect.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:17 AM
xsdbs
Captain

Ok, let's see now.
1) When you deleted the pb entry from the phone's pb, did you do it while in the vehicle with the key on? If so then this could be 1 problem because the deleting of the entry wouldn't be recognized until the next key cycle (sometimes it'll take 2 key cycles to become active).
2) If you don't mind, I'm going to ask you to fully delete the phone from Uconnect and also Uconnect from the phone.
3) Press & release the Uconnect button and say "pb, list names". Now because you have deleted all the local pb entries, she should say "pb empty". (does she?) If so, good.
4) Now look in your phones pb, how is "Buddy" stored? On most phones Contacts can be entered and stored either on the phone itself or on the SIM card. If you have less than 250 contacts on the SIM card, Then I'd like you to store it on the SIM card. (Most SIMS can store up to 250 contacts on them, there are SIMS that'll store more but you have to buy them)
5) This "bizarre" entry that you don't see in your phone, is this "Buddy" entry or is it a different entry? (I'm sorry if you already told me, but what network are you using?)
6) As well as the entry in #5 above, you are mentioning other entries that you don't see. What are they?
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I do have a last resort that I'd like you to do, but I'd like to see the answers to the questions above first.

I would like you to do a factory reset of the Uconnect system. This is done by:
A) Press and release the Uconnect button and say " set up, reset". You'll be asked if you're sure that you want to reset factory settings......." (yes).
This will delete all phones that are paired to the system, wipe all stored information & the local pb.
B) Also I'd like you to delete Uconnect from your phone and also reboot your phone. (Remove the phone battery for a couple minutes, then reinsert it).
C) Now, please look and make sure that "Buddy" is stored on the phone's SIM card and also that the contact # is stored in either of the following locations - <work, home, mobile or pager>. These are the only stored locations that Uconnect will support and download from.
D) Ok, now with a clean slate, we're going to go thru a fresh pairing session.
E) After the phone is paired up and the pb has been downloaded (give it a couple minutes after the phone is paired up), press and release the Uconnect button and say "phonebook, list names", when asked for the name to start from, say "Buddy".
F) When she starts to list "Buddy", press and release the VR button and say "details". What does she say? (is the information correct?)
G) If the information is now correct, turn the key off, open & close the drivers door, wait a couple minutes to make sure that all the vehicle modules have gone to sleep.
H) Turn the key on, wait for Uconnect to bond with your phone, then try placing a call to Buddy.

How'd this work out?

This is getting stranger all the time. I deleted all the names on the car phone book, so that's empty now. I deleted the entry entirely from my phone's phone book, including in the phone log. I deleted the device pairing from the car's bluetooth. Then I added a completely new bluetooth entry for the phone. After the new pairing was complete, and I ask to list the phonebook entries, I still get this bizarre entry that does NOT exist in my phone. I also deleted another entry in my phone, and low and behold, that one has also refused to disappear from the car. Also strange, there are other phone entries that don't get listed in the car when I ask for them. Something is causing some entries to live forever and others to never get downloaded. And I can't yet tell if the bug is with the phone or the car.

Any other advice on things to try is appreciated.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:25 PM
JRRF
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, I really appreciate all the help. I'm going to try and step through this:

Originally Posted by xsdbs
Ok, let's see now.
1) When you deleted the pb entry from the phone's pb, did you do it while in the vehicle with the key on? If so then this could be 1 problem because the deleting of the entry wouldn't be recognized until the next key cycle (sometimes it'll take 2 key cycles to become active).

No, didn't delete while in car.

2) If you don't mind, I'm going to ask you to fully delete the phone from Uconnect and also Uconnect from the phone.

Did this. Then re-added as a new phone.

3) Press & release the Uconnect button and say "pb, list names". Now because you have deleted all the local pb entries, she should say "pb empty". (does she?) If so, good.

Yes, car pb is empty. At one point I tried to put the correct number in the car pb, but that didn't help get it recognized, so now it's empty.

4) Now look in your phones pb, how is "Buddy" stored? On most phones Contacts can be entered and stored either on the phone itself or on the SIM card. If you have less than 250 contacts on the SIM card, Then I'd like you to store it on the SIM card. (Most SIMS can store up to 250 contacts on them, there are SIMS that'll store more but you have to buy them)

I think mine are all on the SIM.

5) This "bizarre" entry that you don't see in your phone, is this "Buddy" entry or is it a different entry? (I'm sorry if you already told me, but what network are you using?)

Yes, and there are now a couple of entries I've deleted from my phone that I still find in the car. And there are entries on my phone that have been there a long time, but still don't show up in the car. I use ATT.

6) As well as the entry in #5 above, you are mentioning other entries that you don't see. What are they?

See #5.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I do have a last resort that I'd like you to do, but I'd like to see the answers to the questions above first.

A) Press and release the Uconnect button and say " set up, reset". You'll be asked if you're sure that you want to reset factory settings......." (yes).
This will delete all phones that are paired to the system, wipe all stored information & the local pb.

Will this wipe other info in the car, like radio presets, picture, music, etc?

B) Also I'd like you to delete Uconnect from your phone and also reboot your phone. (Remove the phone battery for a couple minutes, then reinsert it).

This I did, but I'm going to try it again.

C) Now, please look and make sure that "Buddy" is stored on the phone's SIM card and also that the contact # is stored in either of the following locations - <work, home, mobile or pager>. These are the only stored locations that Uconnect will support and download from.

I've since created a whole new entry for him, and that also doesn't show up in the car (like other phone pb entries).

The rest of this is going to take more time, but I'll get back to you. Thanks again!

D) Ok, now with a clean slate, we're going to go thru a fresh pairing session.
E) After the phone is paired up and the pb has been downloaded (give it a couple minutes after the phone is paired up), press and release the Uconnect button and say "phonebook, list names", when asked for the name to start from, say "Buddy".
F) When she starts to list "Buddy", press and release the VR button and say "details". What does she say? (is the information correct?)
G) If the information is now correct, turn the key off, open & close the drivers door, wait a couple minutes to make sure that all the vehicle modules have gone to sleep.
H) Turn the key on, wait for Uconnect to bond with your phone, then try placing a call to Buddy.

How'd this work out?

Old 10-25-2012, 10:27 PM
JRRF
Captain

It seems like this should really do the trick. But please answer my imbedded question before I let this thing go crazy.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:13 PM
JRRF
Captain

Correction:

My contacts are all on the phone, not the SIM (the SIM pb is empty). Of course this still doesn't explain all the bizarre behavior.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:17 AM
xsdbs
Captain

Good morning,
Sorry that I am just getting back to this message. I was away for the weekend with my wife and there wasn't any signals where we were.

No, this will not do anything to the radio or vehicle settings. It will only clear the stored information in the Uconnect module.

It seems like this should really do the trick. But please answer my imbedded question before I let this thing go crazy.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:20 AM
xsdbs
Captain

You're correct about it being strange behavior. I'm just trying to figure out where it's stored. Multiple entries of the same name even with different #'s can cause confusion with the system.
Do you know how many contacts you have stored on the phone?

Correction:

My contacts are all on the phone, not the SIM (the SIM pb is empty). Of course this still doesn't explain all the bizarre behavior.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:35 AM
JRRF
Captain

I have about 250 contacts on my phone.

Latest update is that I deleted all profiles in the car and on the phone, and rebooted each. That seemed to do the trick to erase all the strange entries. Then I re-added the connection to each and all seems to be working ok (though UConnect dropped my phone connection at one point), but not great. For the last hour or more of driving I've gotten the message on UConnect "phonebook downloading", and there are still NO phonebook entires available via UConnect, I have to dial everything by hand from my phone. Will this eventually correct itself, or is there something else I still need to do?

Old 10-30-2012, 11:49 AM
xsdbs
Captain

1) which model BB phone (model #, there are several different curves, bold etc) do you have? Also what is the SW Bundle#? You'll find it in the settings menu.
2) Uconnect won't drop the phone connection. This is the phone itself and you were probably in a weak signal zone or between a tower hand off. I have seen this with the BB devices before.
3) With 250 contacts, it shouldn't take more than a couple minutes or so for the PB to download. It sounds like the BB is having some issues with the way it's sending the information to the Uconnect system

I have about 250 contacts on my phone.

Latest update is that I deleted all profiles in the car and on the phone, and rebooted each. That seemed to do the trick to erase all the strange entries. Then I re-added the connection to each and all seems to be working ok (though UConnect dropped my phone connection at one point), but not great. For the last hour or more of driving I've gotten the message on UConnect "phonebook downloading", and there are still NO phonebook entires available via UConnect, I have to dial everything by hand from my phone. Will this eventually correct itself, or is there something else I still need to do?

Old 10-31-2012, 08:34 AM
JRRF
Captain

I have a Curve 9300. SW bundle is v5.0.0.955 (Bundle 1576, Platform 6.3.0.57).

Considering my BB worked fine for a year and a half, this all seems unusual. At a minimum I'm going to try and delete and re-add the phone again again.

And actually, my call was not dropped, just the bluetooth connection :-(

Last edited by JRRF; 10-31-2012 at 09:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Uconnect Phonebook