Eight speed transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Shelbyguy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eight speed transmission

Hello All,
New poster here. Really got a lot of good info here in the last few days. Stopped by my local dealer today to just get a brochure and ask about the 2014's and the new transmission. As seems to be the normal case, the customer seems to have more info on the product than the sales person. That's just from my own personal experience when buying a vehicle. So the salesman couldn't tell me anything other that they usually get info right before it is released. From what I've read it seems the V6 will be getting the eight speed first in May 2013 and the Hemi maybe later down the road. Anyone have any info on that? I'd really like to get the V8 but being able to get a few more mpg with the 8 speed could be worth the wait if it's going to happen. Thanks.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:26 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is going to happen. And in 2014 just as you expected.

And yes, you very likely know a ton more than the dealer does about the vehicle.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Shelbyguy
Rookie

Thanks for the response but to be clear, from what you know now, the hemi won't get the eight speed till closer to the time the 2014's usually come out like September 2013? Thanks.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:00 PM
golddogs

My 6speed V8 is averaging 16.5mpg city driving. Might squeek out a couple for mpg, but is it worth the wait?

Old 11-10-2012, 03:16 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

On top of the trans, I believe dodge is also revamping the interior design slightly, they will replace the Radio with the 8.4" touch screen you see on the Charger and Journey, or the one on the new RAM.
so, I think it will be worth the wait.

As far as the 8 spd on the Hemi, I believe ZF rated the current 8-spd at 400 ft-lb of torque, not sure if it can hold up to the abuse of a Hemi.

Well, if you want fuel efficiency, don't get a V8... I found those 2 extra MPG car manufacturers advertise are over rated most of the time.

Last edited by steak59; 11-10-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Shelbyguy
Rookie

Right now I'm driving an 06 Grand Caravan SXT with the 3.8. I pull a 6 x 10 enclosed trailer which probably weighs about 1800 lbs loaded during the warmer months on the east coast(VA) for my hobby(RC jets). Locally it's not really an issue as there aren't many hills but In July I head out to KY and pulling it through some of the mountains in WV gets annoying as people fly by while I'm struggling to keep it at 45mph keeping an eye on the engine temp. I don't have a tow package but I did get a transmission cooler put in. I really don't want to take that trip again with the van so that's the only reason I'm interested in when the eight speed will be available for the Hemi. After reading the threads here, I see people pulling right up to the max on the V6 and say it does ok so I realize I should have no problem with what I'm pulling but I really like the idea of a V8 in what would be my daily ride. I've been driving minivans since 96 as they are good for toy hauling and you can fit 4 x 8 sheet goods in them with all the seats down which even bigger SUV's can't do but I've had enough of the soccer mom look.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:12 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why not get a RAM 1500 truck? it sits 5 ppl, fits 4 X 8 board, and the new V6 version with the 8 speed tops the fuel economy of ur minivan, yet, it will tow like a... truck.
wait a few month, Chrysler will offer some sweet incentive.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:15 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steak59
Why not get a RAM 1500 truck? it sits 5 ppl, fits 4 X 8 board, and the new V6 version with the 8 speed tops the fuel economy of ur minivan, yet, it will tow like a... truck.
wait a few month, Chrysler will offer some sweet incentive.
+1... the new Ram with the V6 looks like a nice set up!

Old 11-11-2012, 06:39 PM
Shelbyguy
Rookie

I've been back and forth decision wise between the pickup and suv. There are many times I need to have six or even seven people in the minivan so the suv is more practical.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:48 PM
PokerMunkee
Professional

Rumor not long ago was Dodge would kill the Durango and Jeep would pick it up with the Grand Wagoneer. Might not be the case, which I hope.

Quick Reply: Eight speed transmission