3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Heavy towing with the durango

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 11:25 AM
dwolson2
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Waynead
Rounded is better than totally flat. The vehicle will block much of the flat part.
how about the rounded vs the "V" front?

Also, thank you guys for your inputs! I do have about 6 months to plan for this trip, so all of this help, with careful planning of the cargo, hopefully will make a pleasant trip!

Old 11-25-2012, 11:31 AM
dwolson2
Professional

Waynead,
I was reading in the articles you posted this:
o have the most appropriate hitch configuration, I would purchase the weight distribution hitch components that match the class 3 frame hitch and receiver. Some may tell you that all hitches are the same, but I would select the hitch carefully as there are substantial differences between brands.

You want a hitch that allows the ball to be as close to the bumper as possible. You should be able to get a hitch package for your Escape that keeps your hitch ball within 6” of the back bumper. You may need the hole for the pin in the shank (the solid 2” square portion) to be re-drilled to allow it to be as close as possible. Also, I would suggest a round equalizer bar design for the Escape, with 500 - 600 pound torsion bars.

Which brand would you recommend for the D? Or Which do you have? I will of course look into the different weight distributing hitches, but I would like to know which one you are using. Thanks!

Old 11-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Waynead
Veteran

I use a Reese Dual Cam. A lot of folks use them and I personally prefer it to the Equalizer brand. I find it easier to hook up.
For my trailer I needed a shank that would lower the ball height, but That would depend on the trailer.

As far as the front of the trailer, I'd go with whichever presented the smallest area to the wind. The V might be better, but then I don't know how much usable space you might lose.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:57 PM
clayh
Professional

Originally Posted by dwolson2
Clay, I didn't know that. Thanks, I def want the bigger(cap) trailer then.

Also a bigger capacity trailer comes with a heavier rating tire. This means a stiffer sidewall and a less squirrelly trailer.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:28 PM
dwolson2
Professional

Originally Posted by Waynead
I use a Reese Dual Cam. A lot of folks use them and I personally prefer it to the Equalizer brand. I find it easier to hook up.
For my trailer I needed a shank that would lower the ball height, but That would depend on the trailer.

As far as the front of the trailer, I'd go with whichever presented the smallest area to the wind. The V might be better, but then I don't know how much usable space you might lose.
What did you get far gas mileage pulling that Airstream? I started doing the math, and I may be getting a smaller trailer and making two trips. Still not sure yet. So, there is still useful information in this thread(as even with a 14' I may still be towing fairly heavy)

Originally Posted by clayh
Also a bigger capacity trailer comes with a heavier rating tire. This means a stiffer sidewall and a less squirrelly trailer.
Good info, I am still up in the air about this, which way to go(1 big trailer or a smaller one and 2 trips) but thats good info either way!

Also, I haven't purchased/rented the trailer yet, so I have to look at total cost. Obviously gas one way is cheaper than twice, but the cost of a 20-24' trailer is 5K+ where a 14' trailer is 3500+(and I have seen a few used ones where I haven't really seen any used 20's for descent price) Gas from CA to ND is 1K @ 10 mpg and 800 @ 14MPG; round trip. I figure if I did get a 7*14 trailer it would be more streamline with the D, and when empty I might even see higher than 14(cruise set and 60-65)
But, if i need to make 2 trips I have to get a storage shed(cutting into the costs) Although I am paid by weight and the single trip would net me between 6 and 7K lbs where the double trip would get me 10K lbs(which is everything I own, without throwing stuff away/selling stuff)

Luckily I can get everyone's opinion and advice before I have to put money into it.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:17 PM
Waynead
Veteran

Originally Posted by dwolson2
What did you get far gas mileage pulling that Airstream?
I got about 12. It was windy on the highway and the rest was smaller roads and very hilly. It was my first tow with the D and I was happy with the mileage, it was about the same I was getting with my ML500. I expect to get better in different situations.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:38 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Moving

A few thoughts on the subject:
- Using a PODS type service: Also look into ABF U-Pack, and U Haul for options. These services may have different coverage than PODS. U-Haul has a 5x7' box that they can ship. Just one of those loaded with your heavy stuff could be a lot of peace of mind.

- Tires: Be sure your tires are properly inflated for your trip, and make sure you have a compressor with enough line to get where ever you may need it, as well as jacks and spare tires for not only the D but also whatever you are pulling. Last fishing trip I went on (to Canada, 12 hour trip) the guy with the boat had low tire pressure and blew a tire, with the other side looking nearly as bad when we stopped. Let's just say that the middle of nowhere in Canada is not where you want to find out that you have really obscure hard to find tires.

Steve

Old 11-25-2012, 11:45 PM
dwolson2
Professional

Originally Posted by wi-steve
A few thoughts on the subject:
- Using a PODS type service: Also look into ABF U-Pack, and U Haul for options. These services may have different coverage than PODS. U-Haul has a 5x7' box that they can ship. Just one of those loaded with your heavy stuff could be a lot of peace of mind.

- Tires: Be sure your tires are properly inflated for your trip, and make sure you have a compressor with enough line to get where ever you may need it, as well as jacks and spare tires for not only the D but also whatever you are pulling. Last fishing trip I went on (to Canada, 12 hour trip) the guy with the boat had low tire pressure and blew a tire, with the other side looking nearly as bad when we stopped. Let's just say that the middle of nowhere in Canada is not where you want to find out that you have really obscure hard to find tires.

Steve
I've thought about the PODS idea, but they don't ship there(Or so I was told by the other guy who looked into it) I will have to look into the ABF-Upack thing.
As for tires, I know to do those things. I have a friend that overloaded his trailer and shredded his tires. Luckily, I have a spare for my little utility trailer and was able to help him. But, that said, I will need to buy a spare tire for the trailer.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:35 AM
fuzzyb
Rookie

I was getting 9mpg pulling my 16` trailer in real bad cross winds.
Another thing to consider is the front surface area of the trailer. The Durango has separate ratings for both the V6 & V8.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...er-towing.html

Quick Reply: Heavy towing with the durango