3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

My 2011 Crew caught FIRE, could use some help/advice!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 04:40 PM
sdquattro
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1! I purchased a 2012 Crew and the Remote Start failed twice. It was "fixed" the first time, only to be back in the shop three days after. Then when they fixed the same problem again, they backed into a pole, thus needing to order and paint a new rear bumper. I expressed my safety concerns to my sales guy, as well as my dissatisfaction regarding the amount of time my "new" ride was spending in the Service Dept. I expressed the concerns that I had regarding road trips with the family, since the issue with the Remote Start would not allow the car to start at all.

In the end, after talking to the Director of Sales, then the Director of Finance, then finally the GM, they were able to make good on their promise and got me into a 2013 Crew with leather, nav, heated seats for just under $30k. No matter how hard I'd look, there was no finding a better deal... not in San Diego.

It's unfortunate to be in the situation you're in and I know it's not fair. I felt the same way and your scenario is far more extreme than mine. I'd most definitely explore your options with the Stealership first! Haggle if you have to and escalate your requests until you get what you want. I did the same and although it took about 5 weeks, I'm happy now!

Best of luck, bro! Happy Holidays!

Originally Posted by tveic
IF the dealer management says they "can make it right" you have nothing to loose by looking at their offer. You can certainly walk if you don't like it.

You like the vehicle, hear them out. Worst that can happen is saying "No Thanks", best that can happen is a new 2013 replacing a 2011 that sounds like it had an electrical short in a wiring harness somewhere in the dash. Could have been a piece of insulation scraped bare during install or a bad connector crimp.

Last edited by sdquattro; 12-04-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:30 PM
adbutz
Rookie

Hey Ken702. Sorry to hear about your vehicle and your situation. I would hope Dodge steps up and gives you a new vehicle at whatever your balance was outstanding. Especially since it can be attributed to a defect in their vehicle. Thanks for your post as now the issue is public where Dodge can't turn around and say they had no knowledge of similar occurences when and if this happens again. I too have my Durango in my garage below where my children sleep and its scary to know this can happen. Hopefully its an isolated occurence but if not it puts some pressure on Dodge to find the problem and fix it. The fact Dodge didn't send anyone out is disappointing though. With the mention of the power steering I wonder if this is the same issue that people are reporting with the Cherokee. There was a post not long ago.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Ken702

Thank you. I don't see Dodge doing anything as I've been blown off by both email and telephone from their customer assistance line now. They are saying my insurance company is handling it. They said if I didn't go through my insurance company they would have sent someone out too look at it. THAT is BS though because my ins. company says Dodge HAS been out to look at it. I haven't heard about the Cherokee issues, but will look into it. Sucks, I was a loyal Dodge guy and now I'm thinking of jumping ship. Super-disappointed!

Originally Posted by adbutz
Hey Ken702. Sorry to hear about your vehicle and your situation. I would hope Dodge steps up and gives you a new vehicle at whatever your balance was outstanding. Especially since it can be attributed to a defect in their vehicle. Thanks for your post as now the issue is public where Dodge can't turn around and say they had no knowledge of similar occurences when and if this happens again. I too have my Durango in my garage below where my children sleep and its scary to know this can happen. Hopefully its an isolated occurence but if not it puts some pressure on Dodge to find the problem and fix it. The fact Dodge didn't send anyone out is disappointing though. With the mention of the power steering I wonder if this is the same issue that people are reporting with the Cherokee. There was a post not long ago.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Ken702

Wow, sounds like it worked out pretty well for you! I am kind of going back and forth in my head about trying the dealership. I do need to get another vehicle, but am still pretty bummed about Dodge. It's also not a great time of year financially to be coming up with a decent down payment. I'm thinking about it though. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Originally Posted by sdquattro
+1! I purchased a 2012 Crew and the Remote Start failed twice. It was "fixed" the first time, only to be back in the shop three days after. Then when they fixed the same problem again, they backed into a pole, thus needing to order and paint a new rear bumper. I expressed my safety concerns to my sales guy, as well as my dissatisfaction regarding the amount of time my "new" ride was spending in the Service Dept. I expressed the concerns that I had regarding road trips with the family, since the issue with the Remote Start would not allow the car to start at all.

In the end, after talking to the Director of Sales, then the Director of Finance, then finally the GM, they were able to make good on their promise and got me into a 2013 Crew with leather, nav, heated seats for just under $30k. No matter how hard I'd look, there was no finding a better deal... not in San Diego.

It's unfortunate to be in the situation you're in and I know it's not fair. I felt the same way and your scenario is far more extreme than mine. I'd most definitely explore your options with the Stealership first! Haggle if you have to and escalate your requests until you get what you want. I did the same and although it took about 5 weeks, I'm happy now!

Old 12-05-2012, 02:02 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

"They said if I didn't go through my insurance company they would have sent someone out too look at it. THAT is BS though because my ins. company says Dodge HAS been out to look at it."

Ken,

What they told you was true. Unfortunately, the only one that can authorize an inspection of the vehicle is the owner of the vehicle. Once you agreed to the settlement with your insurance company that insurance company became the owner of the vehicle. From what you have posted here it sounds like the insurance company has contacted Chrysler to get someone out to inspect the vehicle, which they did. If Chrysler had been requested to inspect the vehicle by you before you settled, Chrysler would have sent someone out on your request. At this point Chrysler cannot give you any information on that inspection and would only release that information to the insurance company as they are the owner of the vehicle at this point. Hopefully the dealer will make you a great deal if you decide to talk to them about another vehicle.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:49 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reality Check Time

---

1) Fires happen. Everyday. Homes and Autos. They happen. Simple. Doesn't mean there is anything specific or ALL homes or ALL Camaros or ALL Durangos would be on fire. They are not. Fires Happen. That is why you have insurance.

2) Insurance did what they were supposed to do. Pay for the value of the vehicle. Done. Not give you more. Not give you what you paid last month, last year, last decade. Simply what it is worth now. They did that. You are not entitled to one cent more than what it is worth. You stated you came out $1000 ahead?! Don't consider yourself lucky. You simply owed $1000 less than the value at the time of the loss. If you expect something more then you misunderstand how insurance works. Google "Insurance Betterment." You will find that concept applies and is there to keep the concept of indemnity in place. Otherwise fraud is invited because the insured would have an incentive to profit from the loss when the circumstances are such that it is impossible for the insurance company to repair the auto without bettering the insured's position. Can't do that. It's a no-no. Prevents rates from being thousands of bucks more for everyone to pay for the fraud that would be everywhere. Example, set your Durango on fire every year to get a brand new one. Nope.

Insurance is not a lottery system where a $1 invested gets you possibly more. You get only what you are owed based on actual cash value on autos. There is generally not a replacement cost provision on auto insurance. Home insurance has replacement costs usually. Autos do not. Only Allstate has a New Car Replacement program for 3 years and IIRC Liberty Mutual stole a 1 year concept from them. And you need to pay extra for that provision. Since you think auto insurance should have a replacement cost provision, then you should look into Allstate for their 3 year deal. That is the best in the business on that provision. Again, be prepared to pay for what you get/want.

3) Dodge may be interested in the situation from afar. Otherwise zilch. They are not going to get directly involved with you. They have thousands of Durangos that they can overcharge whatever wire you mentioned to do their own testing without you. Any additional contact with you impacts their liability. You are, and should be, a ghost to them.

4) Sometimes the truth is tough to swallow. Hurts even. Doesn't make it any less true. Could it be presented with a better bed side manor? Perhaps... but not by me. Realist 101. Keeps things truthful, on track and eliminates the possibility for miscommunication and misunderstandings.

Yes. I own an insurance agency.

Last edited by IndyDurango; 12-06-2012 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:23 AM
SUNBURNTsnype
Professional

Originally Posted by sdquattro

Sdquattro,

Did u get your D serviced at Carl Burger? I think I read your review on them in Yelp when I was looking for a good dodge service dept in San Diego.

Quick Reply: My 2011 Crew caught FIRE, could use some help/advice!