3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Hemi durango TRUE OIL CAPACITY and the longest oil change in history

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 02:04 PM
SLAINTE06
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullslp
Hey V I've got to support a fellow blacky since we both have to invest ten times more effort then you white boys(can I say that? I'm German and Irish) keeping her clean. Look at the bright side. Your K&N oil filter will MATCH your white truck.. that's why your going with it RIGHT?
LOL Good stuff. Is it just me or did the whiteys have a meet up this weekend at a Justin Bieber concert, they seem very sensitive today. But considering the very sensitive and feminie color of your D's, I completely understand. I just thought after a 3 day weekend, they whiteys may have come to their senses, but I guess not.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:12 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fintan06
LOL Good stuff. Is it just me or did the whiteys have a meet up this weekend at a Justin Bieber concert, they seem very sensitive today. But considering the very sensitive and feminie color of your D's, I completely understand. I just thought after a 3 day weekend, they whiteys may have come to their senses, but I guess not.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:55 AM
safford197
Professional

I always run 1/4 to 1/2 quart below totally full. I don't want to make the mistake of going over by even a little, IMO.

Oh, and why buy 7 or 8 quarts exactly? I always get the 5 qt containers from Walmart - Pennzoil platinum. I found sludge from that Mobile1 5w-20 in my last car after only two oil changes, switched to Pennzoil and the problem went away.

Last edited by safford197; 05-30-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:06 AM
ramdanimal
Rookie

Good info on oil capacity using the dipstick as a guage..........but..........it still doesn't resolve whether the actual capacity is 7 qts and the dipstick is manufactured/marked improperly or is the dipstick accurate and the listed capacity is wrong? I guess we choose whichever measuring device we deem to be the correct one.

Does anyone have another Dodge (300, Charger, Challenger, etc.) with a 5.7 to see how it compares? Is it 5.7 specific or just Durango specific? Too bad we can't get an answer from Dodge.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:04 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Originally Posted by safford197
I always run 1/4 to 1/2 quart below totally full. I don't want to make the mistake of going over by even a little, IMO.

Oh, and why buy 7 or 8 quarts exactly? I always get the 5 qt containers from Walmart - Pennzoil platinum. I found sludge from that Mobile1 5w-20 in my last car after only two oil changes, switched to Pennzoil and the problem went away.
Same here, I thought it was me with my old D. When I drained the Mobil 1 it was lumpy towards the end of draining. I switched that D to Royal Purple synthetic and no issues.
I am using Penzoil Ultra in this D since the RP is not certified with Chrysler for use in the HEMI
Weird
STEVE

Old 05-30-2013, 02:39 PM
Fullslp
Captain

[QUOTE=ramdanimal;3025600]Good info on oi
l capacity using the dipstick as a guage..........but..........it still doesn't resolve whether the actual capacity is 7 qts and the dipstick is manufactured/marked improperly or is the dipstick accurate and the listed capacity is wrong? I guess we choose whichever measuring device we deem to be the correct one.

Actually this was the FIRST oil change and was factory filled to the full mark. I removed 7.4 quarts and added 7.5 quarts to bring it back to full. I also recall some posts on a light engine tick at the low / add mark so I believe we can rely on the dipstick as an accurate gauge

Last edited by Fullslp; 05-30-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:26 PM
sinn
Amateur

I had an 03 and an 09 Ram with Hemi engines and they both took exactly 7qrts of oil w/new filter to bring them up to the full mark on the dipstick. I hate engineers who can't come up w/an even amount of oil to fill an oil pan....

Old 05-30-2013, 07:24 PM
SS2RT
Captain

i'll never use mobil 1 again after blowing a rod in my SS and also seeing alot of disappearing oil (even if it was the engine or chevys or even my fault, mobil-1 is still out for me personally...)

Chrysler is pushing Pennzoil 0W-40 in all SRT8's so I think I'm gonna try it.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:18 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Isn't it crazy how some things are all the same for some of us and can also be polar opposite. I switch from pennzoil synthetic in my camao SS to mobil 1 because every oil change the air gap in the upper TB would be caked with sludge. When I swapped it went away. Haha I guess you can't win for losing.

SS2RT was that your TBSS you threw a rod in?

Old 05-30-2013, 09:16 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Originally Posted by SS2RT
i'll never use mobil 1 again after blowing a rod in my SS and also seeing alot of disappearing oil (even if it was the engine or chevys or even my fault, mobil-1 is still out for me personally...)

Chrysler is pushing Pennzoil 0W-40 in all SRT8's so I think I'm gonna try it.
Careful with doing that...these MDS Hemi's require no more than 20w oil for proper operation.
STEVE

Quick Reply: Hemi durango TRUE OIL CAPACITY and the longest oil change in history