3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Hemi durango TRUE OIL CAPACITY and the longest oil change in history

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 10:33 AM
DJ Hellfire
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fullslp
Changed the oil in my 13' Hemi R/T This weekend (first one) and this is what I found out.

First the owners manual for oil capacity is WRONG! It states that the system with oil filter requires 7 quarts. After checking the initial oil level it read almost full.(2200 Miles) Still breaking in and using a little so I added approximately 150ML to bring the level up to full. Let the vehicle sit for one hour and checked again and FULL. So I proceeded to drain the oil and filter into a clear container making sure to capture every ounce. Let it fully drain for 3 Hours. Then I raised the vehicle in the front and again let it drain until it ran dry. I then lifted the rear of the vehicle and let it empty completely. I also fully drained the oil filter by drilling a hole in the bottom of it.

Guess what? I removed 7.45 quarts or 7050.32ML.

I patched it all up and began to add oil slowly until I reached the full mark. (Oil Filter installed but empty). Started the truck and let it idle for 5 min. Let it sit for another 2 hours then added another quart to bring the level to full. Drove the vehicle for 2 hours and rechecked. Still at the full mark.

I added a total of 7.5 QUARTS or 7097.64 ML.

Total time was a little over 8 hours. During all this waiting I waxed her up. Also on my 2 hour ish drive I watched the oil temp which I been doing this week and its running about 9 degrees cooler. I am assuming due to synthetic oil and possibly in connection with my 180 thermostat.

Used K&N oil filter #HP2010 which is listed for 11' and 12' but fits the 2013s as well. and Mobil 1 5w-20.
Dude, this is complete overkill! I've never seen anything like this. All you have to do is drain the pan til a slow drip and drain the filter. You don't need to drain for hours and hours and hours. That slight drip after a 5-10 minute drain is not going to impact your oil level at all. Just pop your filter on, fill the crank case, start it up, run until the idle settles (30 seconds tops), shut it off, let it sit a minute and check the level. That's it. As long as it's in the full RANGE (not above or below), it's good. Everything else is a waste of time!

BTW, the manual is likely accounting for oil pan volume, and not including the .5 quart the filter holds.

Last edited by DJ Hellfire; 06-01-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:47 PM
SS2RT
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah and if u do buy off the lot,
never take delivery at night... and never sign papers before you do a deep dive / walk thru **after prep** (prep done before signing)

Old 06-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Originally Posted by DJ Hellfire
Dude, this is complete overkill! I've never seen anything like this. All you have to do is drain the pan til a slow drip and drain the filter. You don't need to drain for hours and hours and hours. That slight drip after a 5-10 minute drain is not going to impact your oil level at all. Just pop your filter on, fill the crank case, start it up, run until the idle settles (30 seconds tops),
shut it off, let it sit a minute and check the level. That's it. As long as it's in the full RANGE (not above or below), it's good. Everything else is a waste of time!

BTW, the manual is likely accounting for oil pan volume, and not including the .5 quart the filter holds.
Actually your post was a complete waist of time. You missed the entire purpose of what I was doing. Only someone on crack would waste that much time changing there oil and by the way I've NEVER had ANYONE change the oil or any other service for that matter in ANY CAR I'VE EVER OWNED. even the freebees.

I did this experiment to confirm that the OWNERS MANUAL IS WRONG. it states that the hemi Durango oil capacity is 7 QUARTS WITH FILTER. There have been a few posts on what the correct amount of oil our vehicles use and this is why I went to great lengths so that we may have more "correct" information on the vehicles we operate. My point DON'T ALWAYS BELIEVE THE MAN. or in this case the MANUAL.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:15 PM
DJ Hellfire
Veteran

Actually your post was a complete waist of time. You missed the entire purpose of what I was doing. Only someone on crack would waste that much time changing there oil and by the way I've NEVER had ANYONE change the oil or any other service for that matter in ANY CAR I'VE EVER OWNED. even the freebees.

I did this experiment to confirm that the OWNERS MANUAL IS WRONG. it states that the hemi Durango oil capacity is 7 QUARTS WITH FILTER. There have been a few posts on what the correct amount of oil our vehicles use and this is why I went to great lengths so that we may have more "correct" information on the vehicles we operate. My point DON'T ALWAYS BELIEVE THE MAN. or in this case the MANUAL.
I know what your purpose was. I'm just saying you didn't need to kill your whole day to figure it out! All the excess draining? There was no need for all of that just to get the correct filling! You could have drained for 5-10 minutes into your bucket and got the accurate capacity. And it's no surprise that owners manuals are often wrong on capacities. It's actually pretty common, among many manufacturers, especially Ford. Also, like I said, the oil level has a RANGE. The level doesn't have to be at the very top of the crosshatch, it only has to be within it. So 7 quarts with the filter is likely enough to get inside that range. If you put 7 quarts in and the dipstick still says ADD, then yeah, the manual is definitely wrong!

Last edited by DJ Hellfire; 06-01-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Fullslp
Captain

I wanted to give everyone a true idea of total capacity during the first oil change. Which I did. I could have drained it like a normal person and retrieved 90% of the oil. However then I wouldn't have been able to tell you that I drained ALL of it. Unless you have lifted both ends of the vehicle and witnessed the excess oil draining from the pan then YOU DON'T KNOW. It was an experiment man and I wanted to be thorough.

As for the oil level being within the range on the oil dipstick, yes I agree. However if the engineer who designed the engine, when testing it for longevity was using 7.5
Quarts of oil you better be damn sure that's what I'm going
to be using. Oil Tempurature can fluctuate greatly during hard driving, which some of us do and if your engine was designed to use 7.5 quarts of oil, ( which by the way is responsible for 28% of your engines cooling ability according to the SAE) then that's what you should be using. So next time you want to flame someone for increasing YOUR KNOWLEDGE whether you agree with it or not. A Thanks would be just fine.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:50 PM
DJ Hellfire
Veteran

1. I wanted to give everyone a true idea of total capacity during the first oil change. Which I did. I could have drained it like a normal person and retrieved 90% of the oil. However then I wouldn't have been able to tell you that I drained ALL of it. Unless you have lifted both ends of the vehicle and witnessed the excess oil draining from the pan then YOU DON'T KNOW. It was an experiment man and I wanted to be thorough.

2. As for the oil level being within the range on the oil dipstick, yes I agree. However if the engineer who designed the engine, when testing it for longevity was using 7.5
Quarts of oil you better be damn sure that's what I'm going
to be using. Oil Tempurature can fluctuate greatly during hard driving, which some of us do and if your engine was designed to use 7.5 quarts of oil, ( which by the way is responsible for 28% of your engines cooling ability according to the SAE) then that's what you should be using. So next time you want to flame someone for increasing YOUR KNOWLEDGE whether you agree with it or not. A Thanks would be just fine.
1. Only 90% of the oil is drained on a "normal" oil change, huh? Let's do the math on that! If only 90% of a 7.5 quart fill was drained, then you'd still have 3/4 of a quart still inside the engine after a "normal" drain. This is no where near true. That's close to a full quart. Once you do a "normal" drain til slow drip, everything after that is just oil film you are draining which wouldn't even show up on the dipstick once you filled the oil back up. You call it being thorough, but it's nothing more than time wasted.

2. I wasn't "flaming" you. I just made a statement. You took offense to it. As for you being sure that the engine was engineered to run 7.5 quarts of oil; how do you know that the schmuck on the assembly line that filled the engine at the factory didn't over-fill it? If 7 quarts get's you to the proper range, as the manual suggests it does, then adding another .5 quart is not gonna increase durability under strain. The only time you need to worry about durability is when the oil level drops below the proper range. .5 isn't that critical for daily driving if it's in the proper range before adding that .5. As for increasing my knowledge, that's funny. I've been an auto technician for nearly 10 years bro. So this "experiment" didn't provide any useful information, at least not for me. If anything, I'm just telling you how you can be more efficient with your "experiments". Maybe you should be thanking me!

3. Then there's the kicker. You said YOU ALTERED THE ORIGINAL OIL LEVEL BEFORE THE FIRST DRAIN because some burned off! How do you know some burned off? Did you check the oil level when you first bought the truck to know that some oil was missing after 2200 miles? At the time you say some burned off, was the dipstick saying ADD? Or did you just add because the level wasn't maxed out? If you did check the oil when new, was the oil temperature about the same as when you checked it at 2200 miles? Were you even on a properly level surface when checking the level? These are all important factors for any oil level "experiment"!

Old 06-01-2013, 09:25 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Thanks for the rant I won't bother copying it. As for the 90% if you lift the front of the Durango assuming you are on a flat surface you could leave over 10% in the pan since the drain plug is in front. However I was referring to 10% being in the filter so sorry if I confused you.

Not even going to go there on the technician thing.and if you had read all of my posts you would have learned that I did check the level upon delivery and it was at the FULL mark. I then waited 2200 miles and added 150ML. doesn't that sound like a SPECIFIC AMOUNT? as in I was PAYING ATTENTION and using this information for my experiment. My D came from the factory with the oil level at the full mark just like every other Durango. I drained every ounce of oil to show that at the full mark on MY VEHICLE I had 7.5 Quarts of oil in there to begin with. Which is half a quart lower than the both manuals show as CAPACITY. of coarse the temp of the oil was the same. That is how experiments work. You gather information in an controlled environment and compare data converting theory into unbiased fact. FACT. my car had 7.5quarts of oil that was filled at the factory. FACT. my car has 7.5 quarts which brought the system to the FULL line on the dipstick.FACT. Both owners manuals were WRONG about how much oil my system holds.FACT inserting a happy face at the end of your paragraph doesn't mean your not a d*ck.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:56 PM
SlvrShrk
Professional
Old 06-01-2013, 10:00 PM
DJ Hellfire
Veteran

Thanks for the rant I won't bother copying it. As for the 90% if you lift the front of the Durango assuming you are on a flat surface you could leave over 10% in the pan since the drain plug is in front. However I was referring to 10% being in the filter so sorry if I confused you.

Not even going to go there on the technician thing.and if you had read all of my posts you would have learned that I did check the level upon delivery and it was at the FULL mark. I then waited 2200 miles and added 150ML. doesn't that sound like a SPECIFIC AMOUNT? as in I was PAYING ATTENTION and using this information for my experiment. My D came from the factory with the oil level at the full mark just like every other Durango. I drained every ounce of oil to show that at the full mark on MY VEHICLE I had 7.5 Quarts of oil in there to begin with. Which is half a quart lower than the both manuals show as CAPACITY. of coarse the temp of the oil was the same. That is how experiments work. You gather information in an controlled environment and compare data converting theory into unbiased fact. FACT. my car had 7.5quarts of oil that was filled at the factory. FACT. my car has 7.5 quarts which brought the system to the FULL line on the dipstick.FACT. Both owners manuals were WRONG about how much oil my system holds.FACT inserting a happy face at the end of your paragraph doesn't mean your not a d*ck.
Man, I don't care how you phrase it. If you pull the drain plug, there's no way 3/4 of a quart is staying in the pan whether you jack it up, leave it flat or whatever!

Again, there is no full line. FACT. Only a RANGE. So if 7 quarts puts you in that crosshatch, then the manual is correct. Anything else to get to the very top of the range cross hatch is overkill and a waste of time and proves nothing. I'm not a dick because I'm stating a fact. And that wasn't a happy face. That was me laughing at you because you're really upset that I'm busting your ***** about your "experiment"!

Last edited by DJ Hellfire; 06-02-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:51 PM
CMil527
Champion

Quick Reply: Hemi durango TRUE OIL CAPACITY and the longest oil change in history