3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2013 closeouts

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013 | 01:31 PM
Crew Member
Professional

Originally Posted by Scottina11heat
yup...but youll probably lose your a$$ in resale value down the road when everyone wants the new 8 speed and 8.4an vs. the antiquated 5 speed and 730n....just saying. Its already been seen in the Grand Cherokee world. 13's sitting on lots with 14's selling like hotcakes......
This may be relevant when talking about new cars where many folks are willing to pay top dollar for the latest technology.

But when talking "down the road", i.e. in 5-6 years when some of us go to trade in, I doubt it'll be that big of an issue.

To test that theory, I looked at KBB values for the '04 through '08 Explorers with identical mileage and options. Noting that in '06 it went through a major freshening with V8 horsepower going way up, a new 6-speed transmission (up from 4), and a complete interior redesign. The value jump between years ranged from $1,100 to $1,800, except that from '05 to '06 (the major redesign) the value difference is $2,800. So in essence all that new tech is only worth an extra $1,000 to $1,500 now.

Given that the difference between the '13 and '14 Durango will be far less than the difference between the '05 and '06 Explorer (no increased horsepower or redesigned cabin), I suspect in five years the value difference will be around $1,000 or so.

A more similar example is the '08 Escape which got a new 4-cylinder and 6-speed tranny (up from 4) in '09, but otherwise is visually identical. The value difference is only about $800. Someone would have been well advised to take a heavily discounted '08 over the newly released '09 at the time.

Old 08-12-2013 | 01:47 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Originally Posted by Crew Member
This may be relevant when talking about new cars where many folks are willing to pay top dollar for the latest technology.

But when talking "down the road", i.e. in 5-6 years when some of us go to trade in, I doubt it'll be that big of an issue.

To test that theory, I looked at KBB values for the '04
through '08 Explorers with identical mileage and options. Noting that in '06 it went through a major freshening with V8 horsepower going way up, a new 6-speed transmission (up from 4), and a complete interior redesign. The value jump between years ranged from $1,100 to $1,800, except that from '05 to '06 (the major redesign) the value
difference is $2,800. So in essence all that new tech is only worth an extra $1,000 to $1,500 now.

Given that the difference between the '13 and '14 Durango will be far less than the difference between the '05 and '06 Explorer (no increased horsepower or redesigned cabin), I
suspect in five years the value difference will be around $1,000 or so.

A more similar example is the '08 Escape which got a new 4-cylinder and 6-speed tranny (up from 4) in '09, but otherwise is visually identical. The value difference is only
about $800. Someone would have been well advised to take a heavily discounted '08 over the newly released '09 at the time.
BINGO! bro. Maybe for Scott, his new JGC SRT8 has a completely different buyer profile who down the road will research the crap out of it and identify the 5-8 speed transmission difference. Our Durango would get less than 30% of it's future customers doing any research beyond KBB or MSN reviews. How many of Durango owners would even come to this forum, Especially 5 years from now. Like my grandpa always said, God rest his soul "TAKE THE MONEY"

Old 08-12-2013 | 02:24 PM
IlliniJeeper
Rookie

Originally Posted by Crew Member
My dealer has 41 Durangos on close out. If you can't find pretty much what you want on that lot..... Then you sir are a particularly picky fellow.

Only thing I didn't get that I wanted was the tow package which I can easily have added by the dealer if I ever need it.
Jeez. When I was shopping back in February, there were SIX Durangos in all of the dealerships in my area. I guess I know who was hogging all the D3 shipments...

Old 08-12-2013 | 07:31 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Plus mine will be worth more than the avg Joes out there because I am going to take care of it...inside and out.
STEVE

Old 08-12-2013 | 08:03 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Originally Posted by FSTDANGO3
Plus mine will be worth more than the avg Joes out there because I am going to take care of it...inside and out.
STEVE
Me too Steve... But everyone knows black holds it's value way better than white.. Huh Fin

Old 08-13-2013 | 07:01 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

I am sure LUCKY oops I mean Finny will agree with you...
STEVE

Old 08-13-2013 | 08:39 AM
SLAINTE06
All Star

Cmon now I appeased you with my wifes car, she wanted a white truck as thats what CHICKS want as thats what color CHICKS ususally like to drive. I know you have been trying hard Steve to justify your color, just becase at the time you got a great deal on it and decided to try play it off like a true MAN color purchase, now stoppit. The only thing I can say that you are lucky with is after washing ying n yang this weekend, it sure was much easier to hid the water spots on the wifes, holy sh%t the black beauty takes allot of extra work, but as a MAN I can handle it.I'll keep eating me lucky charms to keep me strong

Old 08-14-2013 | 07:37 AM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Stay away from the little marshmallows Finny at your senile state in life they may affect your blood sugar too much! And that will surely contribute to your hallucinations of your D

STEVE

Quick Reply: 2013 closeouts