3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Got stuck in snow

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 02:02 PM
hemismith
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got stuck in snow

Got the first snow of the year last weekend, went for a nice drive to see the fall colors. There was one short stretch of road that was very narrow, up higher where there was a little snow on the side of the road and some snow/ice on the road. I had to pull off to the right to let someone pass and couldn't get back onto the pavement. I had to wait two hours for a nice girl in a truck with a tow strap.

I pulled off the road such that two wheels were on the icy pavement and two were off the pavement on soft snow. I couldn't get enough traction to get back up on the pavement. As the right tire would start to climb the edge of the pavement it would slip and the car would slide sideways further off the road.

I had the Durango in AWD Low mode as I was coming down a hill and it was extremely icy and slick. At the time I was thinking AWD Low was still the right thing to do, but I guess it just locks the front and rear together and there probably isn't any any side-to-side locking. And it turns off traction control. Being in the car I'm not sure which wheels were spinning, but I know more than one was. Wish I would have asked those trying to help.

So I'm wondering if I would have been better off putting it back into Auto mode, which may have used the traction control to brake one side.

Or maybe it was just too slick and nothing would have helped. It was really easy to slide the car sideways on the road once it got back on the pavement. I do have winter tires, but it's too early for them. I'm also thinking of keeping some salt or sand or traction mats in the car.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:38 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

on giare ice NOTHING will pull. after i retired i stoped driving in snow

Old 10-12-2013, 06:32 PM
colby1035

Obviously its not too early for winter tires.

Tires are the most important item for winter driving.
I know this first hand, lived in Wyoming and drove a RWD V8 car for 8 years. Always put winter tires on. Only stuck one time.
Its important to know where and how to stop.
Give yourself an easy way out. Don't park on steep inclines or on the side of a road with a steep crown.
Use momentum as it is your friend.
If you are stuck, turn off TC. A little wheel spin is good to get free as you rock your car back and forth. If TC is on, you will burn up your brakes.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:04 PM
Fullslp
Captain

My D R/T spent the first 6 days of it's life in 2+ inches of snow. It was fantastic. I saw maybe 3 other vehicles the whole week without chains and other than the low clearance I would trust the AWD Durango anywhere. My pops cabin is on a massive slope with a football field long driveway almost straight up. His f150 was fishtailing like crazy with chains going up that thing but the Durango never missed a beat. I also tested out the accerlation from
a stop to 50 mph in 2 inches of snow and it was extremely sure footed even at WOT. never used chains or Low and left traction control on the whole trip. Put it's first 200 miles
on that trip. 13' with stock fortera's

Old 10-12-2013, 09:55 PM
CPW1265
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last winter i used my 11 Crew in the snow about 6 inches with snow and just kept it in "D" and it kept going without a hiccup . I tried to put it in low and it didnt workout so well so i switched it into normal and it was fine

Old 10-13-2013, 10:22 AM
zaktrafton
Professional

Time to put the winters on.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Orin500XL
Captain

Originally Posted by hemismith
I'm also thinking of keeping some salt or sand or traction mats in the car.
I used to carry a bag of cat litter and fireplace ashes m ixed together. Works like a charm; The ashes melt through to break up the ice and the cat litter provides added traction. It's cheaper, plus you don't have to go back and rescue the mats once you re out.
My technique was simple; clear snow/obstructions from the front AND back of the wheels, lay down the litter/ashes fore and aft, rock to and fro if necessary. Drive off.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:03 PM
hemismith
Amateur

Originally Posted by colby1035
Obviously its not too early for winter tires.

Tires are the most important item for winter driving.
I know this first hand, lived in Wyoming and drove a RWD V8 car for 8 years. Always put winter tires on. Only stuck one time.
Its important to know where and how to stop.
Give yourself an easy way out. Don't park on steep inclines or on the side of a road with a steep crown.
Use momentum as it is your friend.
If you are stuck, turn off TC. A little wheel spin is good to get free as you rock your car back and forth. If TC is on, you will burn up your brakes.
Thanks for the tips. Glad you hear a RWD V8 is possible in the snow!

Unfortunately I think it is a little early. Winter tires compromise warm-weather handling and braking, and the weather has been crazy lately. Cold one day, warm the next. I won't need them where I actually live for a couple more months; I'll just have to be judicious and careful about going up in the mountains.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:05 PM
hemismith
Amateur

Originally Posted by Fullslp
My D R/T spent the first 6 days of it's life in 2+ inches of snow. It was fantastic. I saw maybe 3 other vehicles the whole week without chains and other than the low clearance I would trust the AWD Durango anywhere. My pops cabin is on a massive slope with a football field long driveway almost straight up. His f150 was fishtailing like crazy with chains going up that thing but the Durango never missed a beat. I also tested out the accerlation from
a stop to 50 mph in 2 inches of snow and it was extremely sure footed even at WOT. never used chains or Low and left traction control on the whole trip. Put it's first 200 miles
on that trip. 13' with stock fortera's
Wow, awesome. Mine came with Michelin Latitude Tours; I'll have to check out the Forteras.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:07 PM
hemismith
Amateur

Originally Posted by Orin500XL
I used to carry a bag of cat litter and fireplace ashes m ixed together. Works like a charm; The ashes melt through to break up the ice and the cat litter provides added traction. It's cheaper, plus you don't have to go back and rescue the mats once you re out.
My technique was simple; clear snow/obstructions from the front AND back of the wheels, lay down the litter/ashes fore and aft, rock to and fro if necessary. Drive off.
Interesting option, thanks!

Quick Reply: Got stuck in snow