3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Took the RT to the drag strip today

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 05:11 PM
inyadreems
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took the RT to the drag strip today

My Mustang club rented out Englishtown today, but instead of running my Shelby I ran the RT. Made 15 passes, one thing for sure is it does not like heat. All I have done is the AFE CAI. Best run was 15.5@90 mph. I tried several different ways, traction control on and off, tow haul and manual shift. Manual shift is the way to go and I had to power brake off the line with the pedal about 3/4's of the way down. I only used first and 2nd gear, by the time I crossed the finished line I shifted into 3rd. I tried shifting into 3rd before the finish line and ran slower. Anyway only 3 runs were in the 15's as the longer I ran the slower it got. So I had to let it sit and cool before I ran it. I used 87 Shell gas with a 1/4 of a tank. I also weighed the D and it came in at 5655 lbs. with me in it, so subtract 220 for an actual weight of 5435.

Took the RT to the drag strip today-88tdmo1.jpg

Here is a video (NOT ACTUAL RUN)

Last edited by inyadreems; 10-25-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Sweet bro. Well at least you know that your R/T is as fast as it's soposed to be. I'll tell you what, my scanner shows the PCM pull a Ton if timing out when you hit 209 degrees(on mine) and it feels like your losing 25 hp. Since I've swapped the 205 thermostat for a 185 it's been fantastic. I have a feeling that is why my intake and interceptor still feels like a big power boost. Before I would regularly run 220-225 in traffic. Now 195 in traffic 185 cruise.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:23 PM
inyadreems
Veteran

Originally Posted by Fullslp
Sweet bro. Well at least you know that your R/T is as fast as it's soposed to be. I'll tell you what, my scanner shows the PCM pull a Ton if timing out when you hit 209 degrees(on mine) and it feels like your losing 25 hp. Since I've swapped the 205 thermostat for a 185 it's been fantastic. I have a feeling that is why my intake and interceptor still feels like a big power boost. Before I would regularly run 220-225 in traffic. Now 195 in traffic 185 cruise.
Yep. Best runs were when I let her cool down. The thermostat swap is definitely an important mod, might have to do that. Did the cooler stat affect mpgs or emissions?

Old 10-25-2013, 08:31 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Your trap speed using drag calculators would put you at 330 hp(flywheel) and 5600lbs would be a 1/4 mile time of 15.0. A half second faster than you ran. Why? Assuming you weren't traction limited it's torque management and traction control rearing it's ugly head. I'm trying to figure out how to run the car without TC but when I pull the fuse I go into " limp home mode" after the first WOT event besides the normal no traction control or ABS until you restart the truck. Trying to see if anyone else has tried turning TC off completely.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:35 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Originally Posted by inyadreems
Yep. Best runs were when I let her cool down. The thermostat swap is definitely an important mod, might have to do that. Did the cooler stat affect mpgs or emissions?
No issues at all with MPG or emissions since the car is past the threshhold temp. About 175. Any lower than that and you will run high HC emissions but you won't run rich unless you are under 160 aka open loop mode.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:42 PM
inyadreems
Veteran

I had the TC button off on all runs. You can feel the drive by wire and TQ management killing the take off. I almost considered leaving on the second yellow lol. Watch the video again and look at the tree and listen closely, you can hear me power braking and then punch it, but I don't go anywhere.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:44 PM
fishandgrits
Veteran

It's a Durango.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:14 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Originally Posted by fishandgrits
It's a Durango.
It's also leaving a lot on the table. I personally would like to at least be able to hang with a v6 camry. It looks the part, sounds the part but doesn't move like it should. His trap speed shows that. Ya TQ braking that sucker helps but with TQ Management and TControl that can't be fully disabled is our big problem. Glad you got it out there.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:53 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a fun day...thanx for sharing!

Old 10-26-2013, 03:27 AM
V for Victory
All Star

love track days, and love Englishtown, Atco, hell any strip. HAHA

I could drive my Monte with one finger on the wheel 10.90's at 123mph leaving with the fronts in the air. The DD must have been like taking a nap compared to your stang. LOL. good post!

Quick Reply: Took the RT to the drag strip today