3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Added some led light bling!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 09:27 AM
BadBenz94
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by firefox7518
That's why I bought some LED Switchbacks from autoilumination.com which are mounted where the flashers are. They flash yellow but switch to really bright white LED when lights switched on. They are really bright and I use them as DRL's. During night I switched them off. I need to find a way to dim them somehow in night mode. But this way you don't have to change anything. If you want to drive with them even with headlights on you even don't have to tweak the harness. Just switch on parking lights and they are activated...

Which wattage did you use? Too if you turn the headlights on, you said these turn off?

Thanks!!

Chris

Old 10-31-2013, 01:48 PM
jsawhite
Rookie

Originally Posted by firefox7518
Yes, exactly there. Don't forget to buy also some ballasts. Otherwise your flashers will be flashing to fast and you'll get the "bulb out" message in the evic....
Also keep in mind to not buy the strongest ones as the light will spread wide and high. This area is used for flashers or parking lights normally and they will spread the light widely but are not that bright. You could get a lots of high beams because its maybe really to bright. My LEDs are brighter than my Xenons! :-)
Which version did you get? (the 120 or 60 led version) I'm about to order a set, was thinking the 60 led, but if that's what you got and it was still too bright, I'll drop to the 39. I'm thinking of getting something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Daytime-Running-Light-DRL-Relay-Harness-Remote-Control-On-Off-Switch-12V-NEW-/370924627565?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item565cd4a66d&vxp=mtr and setting the white leds to be on all the time instead of just with parking lights...

Old 10-31-2013, 04:57 PM
rvarner
Professional

Wow, that looks much better. It looks stock, just mayby a bit bright.

How do these install? Do you have to bake the headlights and crack them open and install them in place of the standard turn signals?

I would like to find a way to have them on all the time if they weren't too bright and then you wouldn't have to have the parking lights on all the time.

Old 10-31-2013, 05:05 PM
rvarner
Professional

Which bulb type are you guys buying? 3157 or 7443? I will probably buy the 39 LED or 60 LED depending on what the first guy that posted them bought. I want to go not quite that bright.

These are Cool!!

Old 10-31-2013, 05:13 PM
firefox7518
Rookie

I have them on during day with a DRL relay which is easy to connect. Normally it also dimms a connected bulb to half of the power so that you could use really bright ones for DRL mode which will dim to parking light niveau but it's somehow not working with these bulbs so they are always on with full power. I wanted to use them as parking light because here in switzerland it's not allowed to have yellow/orange parking lights. They have to be white and my ideas was to just let them dim to use them as white parking lights. I tested it with the switchbacks of my Dodge Nitro and with them it works but with the ones for the Durango (22watt LEDs by the way) it will not dim.

I think I have this model: "22 Watt Led White-Amber Switchback Bulbs"

It has 2x5Watt front facing LEDs. The flashers are on the side of the bulb and will fill the housing nicely with even light. The white light just fires forward. There are switchbacks which will also have white LEDs on the side as well orange ones. They are maybe a little bit better and are not disturbing others coming your direction. I would suggest to use the "60 Led White-Amber Switchback Bulbs" bulb instead of mine. The light should be much more even or if you want to go on with the ones I have you have to ensure that you will shut them off in night because they are really bright. It's looking like you're driving with the high beams on for others....

You have to buy the 7443 ones as the 3157 do not work at least mine which I used in my Dodge Nitro did not work. I still had to tweak them a little bit because the fit was not tight enough. They almost fall out of the socket so I had to be a little McGyver to make the sitting well....

Last edited by firefox7518; 10-31-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:23 PM
firefox7518
Rookie

Here are some pictures of my old Nitro which I traded in for the Durango. I had 3157 60LED Switchbacks installed and also HIDs in fogs and Headlights ;-)

Note how even the light was:

Old 10-31-2013, 10:35 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me likey!

Old 11-01-2013, 07:50 AM
rvarner
Professional

Tell us about the McGyver stuff you had to do to make them work? That would be helpful.

Also, how do you get to that lamp to change it out? I see now it is just a bulb replacement so obviously you don't have to open the light housings.

Thanks

Old 11-01-2013, 10:50 AM
jsawhite
Rookie

I've sent a question to autolumination to find out the current draw of the white section of the 60 led bulb (to make sure it doesn't overdrive the DRL controller I'm getting). Once I get word back, I'll order and put up pics of the install... Stay tuned...

Hey Firefox... did you get the conventional connection so or did you have to do the 'CK' version? No worries if you don't know, I'll pull a bulb and use my meter to test tonight. Just thought it would save me a bit of work if you remembered.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:31 PM
firefox7518
Rookie

Yes, it's really like changing a bulb. It of course depends if you want to change the wiring to run them separatly for DRL mode, then you have to change the wiring but that is easy.

The McGyver stuff was really easy. The bulbs seemed not to hold very well in the socket so I just use high grade zip ties and used them on the side of the connector of the bulb and just slide them with the bulb into the socket. That way they hold perfectly in place. The excess zip tie you then just can cut. Hard to explain it on english as a non native english speaker/writer, sorry :-)

I just use the normal ones because when I ordered mine there was only this option. Never saw a CK version of them.

Quick Reply: Added some led light bling!