3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

14' Durango gets beat out by a Subaru! MT

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 08:52 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed we like what we like and the Dumbasses at MT like the money they got paid to write that ****. The 2 vehicles are not even in the same class.
WOOPDEEDOO FOR YOUR SUBARU....IT's STILL A ****BOX!

Old 11-07-2013, 08:26 AM
safford197
Professional

WTF, I'm insulted. Motortrend is on my s#!t list now! They must have gotten paid... If they're not on crack they are prostitutes.

I may have to cancel my magazine subscription as this article calls into question what they are about - rather than a serious source of auto news they are an opinionated rag who's consumption is for entertainment purposes only. If the latter is true I have better things to spend my money on than a privileged editor's opinion of my ride who doesn't even understand the difference in such basic functionality like seating for five vs seven.

Last edited by safford197; 11-07-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:19 AM
IlliniJeeper
Rookie

MT lost ALL credibility when they named the Honda Ridgeline (a "pickup" built on the Odyssey chassis) as Pickup Truck of the Year in 2006. This doesn't surprise me one bit.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Just to make us feel better and to better prove how absolutely asinine automotive
Journalists can be. Here is a list of quotes from the last few years of Durango reviews from the same writers at MotorTrend and Car and Driver. For those that don't get the mags.

"No creaks or rattles, even after all the dirt loops, Well Done- that says a lot about build quality"
"Surprising clarity in the steering and chassis response"
"This Durango was an 8 speed and a high def dash graphics package shy of grabbing the Golden Calipers"
Durango (VS) the Traverse, Explorer, Pilot, CX-9 and Highlander.
"The Durango by far is the quietest most refined SUV here"
"Very little wind and tire noise and the ride is pretty sweet too."
"Freeway ride is smooth and locked down, driving position is excellent."
"Front seats are best of the bunch"
"The Dodge has the nicest interior with real metal and super soft touch plastic."
"The Durango (v6) would have claimed victory but for an old 5 speed slusher"
Car and Driver...
"Refined manners , sporty handling, solidity, rich interior and a huge gas tank."
"Turning the glove soft leather steering wheel produces immediate results'
"The Durango's 50/50 front/rear weight distribution allows it to precisely follow orders."

And much more praise. Now these are some of the reasons why we own and enjoy this vehicle.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:27 PM
WannaV-8
Veteran

Even though they handed the title to the Subaru, they had a lot of great things to say about the Durango. The things they listed are the reasons why I bought one. It tows, it's a performer (well for an SUV anyway), and it has tons of fine features as Fullsip listed above. Speaking of, have any of you scrolled through the "System Setup" menu? Man, there's a lot of things there that you can change to suit your taste.
The Subaru is a grocery getter in the snow……..they're cheap and uncomfortable.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:35 PM
fishandgrits
Veteran

I can't see any reason to bash a Subaru. Fact is they are great vehicles and will run until the wheels fall off. I do agree though that the Durango is a more well rounded SUV/crossover and the fact that we can tow over 7k lbs and hold the cargo we can its a no brainer when shopping for an all around utility vehicle.

Like Ron Burgandy says "'stay classy". Don't degrade the Subaru just because it won a pointless award. If you are happy with your purchase who cares what a magazine says? lol

Old 11-07-2013, 10:29 PM
Fullslp
Captain

[QUOTE=fishandgrits;3096841]I can't see any reason to bash a Subaru. Fact is they are great vehicles and will run until the wheels fall off. I do agree though that the Durango is a more well rounded SUV/crossover and the fact that we can tow over 7k lbs and hold the cargo we can its a no brainer when shopping for an all around utility vehicle.

Not that I care about what some goober at a magazine says for my choice of vehicle. The single reason I care about what is said in the media is that it will effect OTHER peoples decisions based on biased opinion. That effects sales and that in turn effects future vehicle development. If you have a great product that gets bashed then it can inevitably effect what is available to US in the future. The Durango exists because people wanted more than what was already available. Some people may buy the hype and purchase a vehicle because some " professional " told him it was the best. Then regrets, regrets. Just my rant for the day.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:19 AM
WannaV-8
Veteran

Originally Posted by fishandgrits
I can't see any reason to bash a Subaru. Fact is they are great vehicles and will run until the wheels fall off. I do agree though that the Durango is a more well rounded SUV/crossover and the fact that we can tow over 7k lbs and hold the cargo we can its a no brainer when shopping for an all around utility vehicle.

Like Ron Burgandy says "'stay classy". Don't degrade the Subaru just because it won a pointless award. If you are happy with your purchase who cares what a magazine says? lol
Not so much a bash, but they are a bit "beer can construction" with a lot of plastic. Despite lasting forever, I wouldn't want to be there with it while it does. The Subaru is a completely different type of vehicle as the DD as well and I don't see why they lumped all of these together for the vote..

Old 11-10-2013, 09:36 AM
lhymes

I've given up on Motortrend for a couple years now. They're obviously taking bribes for reviews. Their videos are insanely bias and sometimes don't even sound like they're covering whatever car they're currently reviewing. There are plenty of actual reputable review sources that are far more worth the attention. One case-in-point that instantly comes to mind was their review video for the Ford Explorer (not trying to stir any pots here if there are any Ford haters - I equally love Ford and Dodge). It was so off-base and so insanely focused on the most bizarre things and they made an issue about things they praised in other cars that they had obviously not driven it or were clearly out bash it. Needless to say, the video got lots and lots of backlash and I'm not sure if it's still up on YouTube.

Last edited by lhymes; 11-10-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Quick Reply: 14' Durango gets beat out by a Subaru! MT