3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2013 Blacktop durango backup camera question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 05:32 PM
DodgeRT13
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Blacktop durango backup camera question.

We had the dealer add a backup camera to our blacktop today. I just noticed that the dodge name bar on top of the camera that used to be blacked out is now chrome. It just destroys the blackout look of the rear end.
I called the dealer and they said they are going to look into it.
Do any of you guys have any experience with the backup camera install?
Is there a way to get that black dodge logo bar and still keep the back-up camera?
Thanks.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Can you post pics? Are you talking about the portion that has the large indented dodge logo right above the camera? If so it seems they may have ordered the part from a different model. Was yours body color or black? Can't remember what the rear of the black top looks like.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:41 PM
DodgeRT13
Amateur

Originally Posted by Fullslp
Can you post pics? Are you talking about the portion that has the large indented dodge logo right above the camera? If so it seems they may have ordered the part from a different model. Was yours body color or black? Can't remember what the rear of the black top looks like.

Yes that one above the camera with the dodge name. My RT is blacktop edition so that area was body color brilliant black including the dodge name. When they installed the camera the whole camera assembly had chrome in that area now. The service guy said that is the only option he had when he ordered it. I spoke to the service manager and they said they are going to look into it more to find a solution for me.
I tried to post a picture but my phone pictures always exceeds the size requirement to attach. Need advice I guess on how to attach pics without exceeding the file size limit. I set my camera phone to the smallest image it can take but still did not work.

Thanks.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:22 AM
hairless_ape
Rookie

That area should be body color matched on all R/T's, not just the blacktop. The guy who ordered the parts screwed up.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:06 AM
DodgeRT13
Amateur

Originally Posted by hairless_ape
That area should be body color matched on all R/T's, not just the blacktop. The guy who ordered the parts screwed up.

I thought so. I saved several photos of black rt for sale on autotrader with body color camera assembly.
Thanks.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:22 AM
rvarner
Professional

Yep, your dealer screwed up. They ordered a camera for a crew or citadel. That strip is chrome on those models. Like hairless ape said, on all RTs that strip is body colored. Blacktop just ads black wheels and a blacked out grill.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:16 PM
DodgeRT13
Amateur

So went to the dealer today. The parts guy said they can put a vinyl decal over it. I was not happy about that.
I suggested that we try to see if we can reuse the part that they took off that had the body color. The technician, the parts guy and me worked to get the black applique off the licence plate light frame. It took about 5 minutes. Now all that needs to be done is for them to replace the chrome part off the camera frame and install the black part back where it belongs. I do not know why they did not think of that when they were installing the one with the chrome. It was actually a pretty simple fix.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:25 PM
rvarner
Professional

Great to hear!

I would hate to see that huge chrome strip on the back of that all black blacktop!! That had to look terrible! LOL The only chrome on my blacktop and on yours are the chrome lug nuts. Still dont know why dodge didnt put black lug nuts on these wheels...

Old 11-06-2013, 03:27 PM
DodgeRT13
Amateur

It looked like an RT with a Citadel back end.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rvarner
The only chrome on my blacktop and on yours are the chrome lug nuts. Still dont know why dodge didnt put black lug nuts on these wheels...
Speaking of lug nuts, what color are you going with when you get your new wheels? Black, chrome or painted Gunmental?

Quick Reply: 2013 Blacktop durango backup camera question.