3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Extended Warranty. Good idea ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 10:04 PM
navyjetmech
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Father in law has been a car Sales Manager for many years. He highly discourages buying a extended warranty. It generates profit for the dealer. He instead suggest putting the money in a CD or mutual fund. By the time the 3/36,000 mile bumper to bumper or 5/100,000 mile power train warranty runs out you will have enough money to cover any repairs. If you don't need repairs u win and made money. When I bought my Durango in 2011 I deposited $2300 in a mutual fund and I have made a nice return so far.
Just recently due to the poor quality of Chrysler products I had to have my left side head replaced at 38,000 miles. My bumper to bumper was expired, but it was covered under the power train. I asked the service writer how much it would cost if not covered by warranty and he said about $1200( seems high) Any repairs not involving a power train component should never cost u more than what u paid for a warranty. I am a jet mechanic, so anything not covered I fix myself.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:19 PM
hellomoto_25
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just cancelled my MPP warranty and will buy a Mopar Vehicle Protection plan before the 3yr/36k warranty is up. These Durangos have too many issues with electronics to not be covered in my opinion.

Just debating on a 7yr/120k or the Lifetime/unlimited. Only $200 difference but the later is not transferable upon sale of the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty. Good idea ?