3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

3rd row on '13 RT not leather

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 07:49 PM
hellomoto_25
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dropped by a dealership today for some parts and took a look at a 2014 Citadel.

With the Nappa package it still had vinyl 3rd row seats and headrests.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:22 PM
mmillerao
Rookie

Originally Posted by hellomoto_25
If you have the "leather interior group" and not the Nappa option then your 3rd row is not leather. Neither are your headrests, center console and door armrests. :-(

Had I known this prior to purchasing I would have paid for the Nappa upgrade.
Yeah, this is pretty typical. I've had several SUV's with third rows, all had vinyl rear seats, seat backs, headrests, and in most cases the center seat in the second row.

It's not a Dodge thing, everyone does it. BMW has used "leatherette" for years for all seating surfaces on many of their vehicles.

I'm in the office furniture business and as many have already pointed out, today's vinyl looks and feels like leather, is more durable, better colorfastness, and can be cleaned better than leather. We often steer customers away from leather seating and encourage them to use a good vinyl. They're always happier in the long run.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:16 PM
hellomoto_25
Veteran

I really dislike the feeling of synthetics. When it comes to metal, wood and leather I need the real thing.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:25 PM
bbtkd
Veteran

Some folks believe they have leather third row, so either they can't tell, or perhaps it depends on year and model?

Old 11-17-2013, 10:27 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Spoiler Alert!!!! If ignorance is bliss then stop reading. If you have the Nappa leather package then you have all 3 rows covered in leather.... At least that's what the manufacturer calls it. The front seats are mostly real leather. The second row seats are partially leather and the 3rd row is completely synthetic leather. Two ways to test. #1 press your finger *******ly anywhere on the front seats and you will see compression crease marks travel outward from your finger. (real leather).. Go to the 2nd row and press down on the lower portion of the seat cushion. Crease marks = real. Then press on the seat back or side bolsters NO CREASE= synthetic . 3rd row you will not observe any compression crease marks anywhere= synthetic. #2 follow the zippers on any of the seats and lightly pry out the zipper head and un-zip. There is some foam padding that is applied to the backing of "leather" so pry a small portion away. If the backing looks like leather than it is fake (synthetic). If it is backed by suede than it is real leather. Our front seats and portions of second row. None of the 3rd row. On the upside they got the grain on the synthetic to a near perfect match to the real leather everywhere else in the interior and that's why it's so darn hard to tell the difference. Plus I won't tell any of my future passengers, it will be my little secret... Hehe. Hope that cleared some stuff up lates..

Old 11-17-2013, 11:55 PM
hellomoto_25
Veteran

Right on point.

Quick Reply: 3rd row on '13 RT not leather