3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Brand new 2014 R/T Paint Problem...ARGH!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 05:05 PM
Blue659
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Name:  ForumPhoto_zpscea14aa5.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  120.2 KB

I had a few spots on my old 2012 Citadel where I could see like a grain of sand or something under the paint. I didn't make a huge deal because I couldn't really see them unless I was detailing it. I believe Dodge needs to clean the Paint room. They obviously have a problem with that department.

I ordered my new 2014 Citadel and finally got it in mid December 2013.Due to the snow and bad weather I haven't had a chance to really inspect it. The last time I saw it really clean was when I took delivery. Today, I finally had a chance to wash it and that's when I noticed several spots with what I like to call from my military days as paint over dirt. It's on the top of the right fender where the water channel is. I could only see it when I open the hood but I won't let it go this time. A new car shouldn't be deliver with those kind of defects. Specially one this expensive. It's hard to see on the photos below but I saw some browns spots. Unknown if it is primer or rust. I know Is not visible with the hood close but I am worry about paint chipping off and creating more problems down the road..

Name:  Paint1_zps69915296.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  129.8 KB

Name:  Paint3_zps5f3065dc.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  90.6 KB

Name:  Paint2_zps979bbfb4.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  95.7 KB

Last edited by Blue659; 01-13-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:32 PM
WannaV-8
Veteran

I would definitely get that paint taken care of! I know many here like to factory order cars in order to get exactly what they want, but I'd rather see/test drive what I'm buying. I can usually find the options I want by looking around.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:33 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

Those are solvent pops.
STEVE

Old 01-14-2014, 07:16 AM
Blue659
Rookie

Name:  ForumPhoto_zpscea14aa5.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  120.2 KB

Yes, I saw that post about the solvent pop and I believe you are correct. However, I am sure someone saw that during the final inspection and probably ignore it. They are pretty big and easy to spot. Funny, the engine compartment was the only place i failed to check prior of taking delivery. Maybe my car was inspected after the inspector's lunch break and a few beers or maybe they used the same reasoning like the other post and decided that it was acceptable.

Believe me when I tell you that I didn't want to wait 45 days. They just couldn't find one withing 900 miles. For some reason, the blue ray and dual DVD Durango are hard to find. This is my 5th SUV in a row and I could never find one exactly with what I wanted. It seems that I always had to give something up. I wanted a black on black, hemi, 20" aluminum wheels, tow package, blue ray with dual displays and bench rear seasts and thats exackly what I got. This time I just wanted it right. One of those things that you should do once in a lifetime.

Besides the paint issue my Durango is awesome. It Drives better than my last 2012 Durango. I am going over the dealership tomorrow to see what they can do. Lucky for me is in a spot that they can just tape and repair without touching the outside fender area. Like many of you guys mentioned here. Aftermarket paint work could never match factory paint. At least I haven't seen it yet. Is been over 10 years since i had body work done to one of my cars and back then they didnt came close to factory quality. Maybe things have change, i dont know. Unlike the other guy here with the hood problem, I am hoping mine will be a easy repair.

Last edited by Blue659; 01-14-2014 at 07:33 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Brand new 2014 R/T Paint Problem...ARGH!!!