3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Cold Air Intakes, AirAid or K&N?

Old 12-18-2013, 05:21 PM
firefox7518
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Budoboy, I agree with you in stop and go traffic but logging the temps with Torque App showed a significant drop in Air Temp when driving! I'm using the Volant intake on my R/T.

I did the test on the same day. Outside Temp was 11°C. Both times I did drive on the swiss highway with the same speed. The stock intake was sucking air up as 45°C whereas the Volant was below 19°C! Somehow the material of the Volant is more resistant to heat soaking or the bigger Box around the Filter is catching enough cold air from below.

One downside for me is the really audible throaty sound which I don't like because all the ricer boys with their tiny little engines use CAI to get something, which they think is sound, out of their 1,6l sugar water engines :-) Sometimes it's a little bit annoying when you hear more from the CAI than from the exhaust... it should be balanced...

Old 01-18-2014, 10:48 PM
Brian13RT

I went K&N and am happy with it. I also have rear resonators deleted so I dont hear any intake noise over my exhaust.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:43 AM
humyz
Professional

does adding a CAI void the warranty (or cat-back exhaust)? or has the dealer start to blame the CAI for anything?

I drove a previous-gen SRT8 Jeep that had a sick looking dual cone symmetrical CAI right in front of the engine - anything like that for the DD

Old 01-19-2014, 11:32 AM
Gqjeff
Veteran

Sweet I love CF intakes. Had one on my other ride. Can you get a red oiless filter also as an option? I see you can get different colored CF also. Thinking red would look better on the R/T then the blue volant. Def might have to switch. If I do an oiless volant with 5k on it will be avail in like new condition. You have a link for where you got yours? I searched and found a few places. I would only do it though if they so have a red oiless filter.

Thanks

Originally Posted by budoboy1
I got the carbon fiber Legmaker:

In my opinion a box won't help with the heat unless there is a good feed of outside air to it (there isn't). Basically imagine putting a this plastic box with a bunch of gaps in it inside an oven. The temp inside the box is not going to be any different than the temp outside the box inside the oven.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:44 AM
ufokillerz
Veteran

if i could get a legmaker with a donaldson powercore filter, i would jump on it. I have a lot of faith in the donaldson powercore filters that many cars come stock with.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:45 PM
Brian13RT

As far as warranty issues go I have never personally had a problem with any car or motorcycle that I have changed muffler, exhaust, filter, or CAI.(with the vehicle or the dealer when I brought in for service or warranty work) As long as you don't bring the dealer tuned car with a cam swap, throttle body upgrade or any major changes I believe you would be ok. That said if you feel its not running right or throws a code put original filter, airbox etc back in, see if trouble clears and if it doesn't then bring to dealer. Invest in code reader or find a mechanic who can read your car before you head to the dealer.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:54 PM
dubking999
Amateur

after long researches I've choosen to go for the AFE CAI with wet filter. it sounds nice inside the cabin and the performance is great.

and yes ... thank you everyone for helping me to find the right CAI. special thanks to MIKEon22s ... now check it out :

Last edited by dubking999; 03-04-2014 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:57 AM
-Ross-
Rookie

I went with the Airaid, because I knew it didn't add that growl/air noise inside the cabin under acceleration. I don't like that. I prefer my exhaust do the talking.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:08 PM
SteelR/TAZ
Veteran

Why do people go with wet filters ... I have always been a dry filter kind of guy.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:16 AM
brashears113
Amateur

Well, since I'm late to the party, and dubking999 has made his purchase. I went with the k&n. I had one on my Ram 1500 5.7 and would have loved to bring it over to my D. It's throaty and along with the Magnaflow exhaust I put on makes for one hell of a pick up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold Air Intakes, AirAid or K&N?