FSTDANGO3
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2014 Charger Hemi RWD's are still using the 5 speed

Old 02-21-2014, 01:16 PM
jshillin
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't experienced this in my '14 Durango.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:19 PM
TOMMYB

I haven't experienced this either. The thing I don't like about mine is that it shifts through the gears so fast. You can go 50 yards and be in 5th gear under normal acceleration.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:46 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

a German tranny? WHY? good luck.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:56 PM
jshillin
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TOMMYB
I haven't experienced this either. The thing I don't like about mine is that it shifts through the gears so fast. You can go 50 yards and be in 5th gear under normal acceleration.
Turn off ECO mode.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:41 AM
WannaV-8
Veteran

To the OP, I don't think you have to worry about any more than software updates. Ford had these same rough shifting issues on their 6 speeds in 2010. TSB software re-flashes took care of the problem.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:15 AM
Smee

Originally Posted by TOMMYB
Originally Posted by jshillin
I haven't experienced this in my '14 Durango.
What models do you guys have? The Hemis I hear are ok.

Mine is a '14 V6 AWD with 8 speed. Apparently there is a recall on 8 speeds transmission on multiple Chrysler cars with V6 and AWD, though the Durango was not listed. http://wot.motortrend.com/1312_trans..._ram_1500.html

There is a similar thread about the Chrysler 300 V6 8 speed here with the exact same issue I am having. It occurs when I coast to a stop without applying the brakes. http://www.300cforums.com/forums/2nd...nshifts-3.html

I will need to take it back to the dealer soon.

Last edited by Smee; 02-23-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:12 PM
NutmegState
Rookie

Originally Posted by Smee
What models do you guys have? The Hemis I hear are ok.

Mine is a '14 V6 AWD with 8 speed. Apparently there is a recall on 8 speeds transmission on multiple Chrysler cars with V6 and AWD, though the Durango was not listed. http://wot.motortrend.com/1312_trans..._ram_1500.html

There is a similar thread about the Chrysler 300 V6 8 speed here with the exact same issue I am having. It occurs when I coast to a stop without applying the brakes. http://www.300cforums.com/forums/2nd...nshifts-3.html

I will need to take it back to the dealer soon.

I would definitely have checked out soon. I would also IMHO, take the service manager out for a test drive so that he can experience the issue. Then tell him you will be taking him for a similar test drive when it is fixed.

I don't trust the shop guys when it is problems like this that is not part of a general recall.

Hope they fix everything for you just like the guys who are saying it is all fixed in those links

As a side note, after reading this thread I went a did a test drive on several 14' Durango's and did not find an issue in any of the ones I did a test drive on.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:46 AM
Smee

The 300 owner never got his fixed. He ended up selling after 18 months, said he could not handle it anymore in a separate thread.

Thanks for the tip with the service manager. What version did you test drive? Any V6 AWD?

In the allpar article posted earlier I found out my transmission is Chrysler built with ZF design. Only the R/T comes with the ZF built transmission. Wish I had known this! Every feature I read about the 8 speed was that it was built by ZF. The allpar article says the Chrysler version is intended for RWD, but will support AWD, what?! Where as the ZF has a specific build for AWD. Very frustrating to learn my transmission is a Chrysler made beta with it being the first guinea pigs.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:31 AM
NutmegState
Rookie

Originally Posted by Smee
The 300 owner never got his fixed. He ended up selling after 18 months, said he could not handle it anymore in a separate thread.

Thanks for the tip with the service manager. What version did you test drive? Any V6 AWD?

In the allpar article posted earlier I found out my transmission is Chrysler built with ZF design. Only the R/T comes with the ZF built transmission. Wish I had known this! Every feature I read about the 8 speed was that it was built by ZF. The allpar article says the Chrysler version is intended for RWD, but will support AWD, what?! Where as the ZF has a specific build for AWD. Very frustrating to learn my transmission is a Chrysler made beta with it being the first guinea pigs.

Everyone I tested was V6 AWD. I have been looking at SXT's and Limited's in V6 AWD. I have been on 6 different test drives from 3 different dealers. I want to see how one with a tow package would drive vs one without due to the rear axle ratio difference. Of the 6 I tested, I did not find the issue as you described. These are all 14' builds.

I live in CT so there are plenty of hills so plenty of opportunity to see what would happen going up and down hills.

I to am upset to be the beta test for Chrysler which is why I have decided that I will get the extended warranty.

Since the V6 Jeeps will have the same experiment, they will have a big mess on their hands if there are issues so I assume they will address problem quickly -- the issue as always is getting them to fix their mess.

Quick Reply: 2014 Durango bad transmission?