3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2014 Durango bad transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 10:48 AM
Double_D
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is a 14 V6 RWD and tow package, no issues with transmission at all in the first 500. Hope it stays that way.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:23 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by woodb
mine does the same thing.. so I am curious to hear if you get this resolved. 2014 awd here as well.
woodb,

I'm sorry to hear about your transmission concern. Is the clunking noise heard every time the vehicle downshifts? Is there a trend or circumstance that you notice when the noise is heard?

It would be beneficial to have the transmission diagnosed at your local servicing dealer. The ability to duplicate the issue will aid the diagnosis process. A test-drive may be necessary in order to demonstrate the noise for the service dept. Be sure to speak with the Service Manager.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:25 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

This is all I could find concerning shift issues. There is also an "TCM adaptation procedure" that can be done. We have had to replace a couple units, not because of shift failures but due to electronic valve body DTCs.

SUBJECT: TSB 21-003-14

Flash: Vehicle Drivability and Shift Quality Improvements
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves flash reprogramming of the Transmission Control Module (TCM) with new software.
MODELS:
2014 WD Durango

NOTE: This bulletin applies to 4X2 vehicles built between August 1, 2013
(MDH0801XX) and January 9, 2014 (MDH 0109XX) equipped with a 3.6L
engine (Sales Codes ERB).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Customers may indicate that the vehicle drivability and shift quality may not meet their
expectations while in ECO Mode.

Last edited by TNtech; 02-24-2014 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:19 PM
Dango84
Amateur

I currently have the same issue. The whole car shudders when I'm coming to a stop and occurs between 2nd and 1st. I don't get an audible clunk but it's easily felt. It started happening just before 3000 miles. It doesn't happen at every stop but it happens every other day. I'll be bringing it in this Friday to get it checked out.

Mine is also the v6 AWD. Its a little unnerving but hopefully it'll get resolved.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:48 PM
Dango84
Amateur

Just got back from the dealership regarding this issue. They performed a software update for the PCM to hopefully correct the issue. On my way back home the rough shifting is still happening upon my first stop, shift from 2 to 1. Subsequent stops confirmed that the shuddering is still there.

Guess I'll set up another appointment to have it looked at again. I'm disappointed that its happening so early into the ownership. Let's see what happens.

Old 02-28-2014, 05:34 PM
hellomoto_25
Veteran

They'll keep giving you the runaround as long as you let them.

Your next move is to take the service manager in a ride and then make an appointment to drop it off. Tell then you want a rental while they fix it. And you won't take it back until it's fixed.

That's the only motivation that they will have to fix it.

And don't take possession of it until you and the service manager take another ride to confirm it's fixed.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:06 AM
humyz
Professional

Originally Posted by TNtech
This is all I could find concerning shift issues. There is also an "TCM adaptation procedure" that can be done. We have had to replace a couple units, not because of shift failures but due to electronic valve body DTCs.

SUBJECT: TSB 21-003-14

Flash: Vehicle Drivability and Shift Quality Improvements
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves flash reprogramming of the Transmission Control Module (TCM) with new software.
MODELS:
2014 WD Durango

NOTE: This bulletin applies to 4X2 vehicles built between August 1, 2013
(MDH0801XX) and January 9, 2014 (MDH 0109XX) equipped with a 3.6L
engine (Sales Codes ERB).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Customers may indicate that the vehicle drivability and shift quality may not meet their
expectations while in ECO Mode.
Is there a TSB for '14 V8 Durangos similar to above? My DD doesn't feel right in ECO mode, but drives perfect when ECO mode is off

Old 03-01-2014, 11:35 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by humyz
Is there a TSB for '14 V8 Durangos similar to above? My DD doesn't feel right in ECO mode, but drives perfect when ECO mode is off

My advice is to use ECO while on the Interstate or Highway. Around town it just might drive you crazy. I replied to your PM also.

I have the same feelings about "ECO" mode as I do about "rolling equation" fuel MPGs on the EVIC.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:27 PM
Dango84
Amateur

I gave the dealership a call and they told me to drive it over the weekend as it may take a few days for the update to relearn my driving style and to take effect. I'm unsure of this but will most likely be calling them first thing Monday.

I've tried driving it with Eco mode disengaged and paddle shifters. I still get the rough shifting. Now i feel it a little when up shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Something's definitely wrong with 2nd gear.

I'm more worried that its a mechanical issue and by driving on it, I maybe causing more damage. Can anyone reassure me that I'm not grenading the transmission?

Old 03-01-2014, 12:47 PM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dango84
I gave the dealership a call and they told me to drive it over the weekend as it may take a few days for the update to relearn my driving style and to take effect. I'm unsure of this but will most likely be calling them first thing Monday. I've tried driving it with Eco mode disengaged and paddle shifters. I still get the rough shifting. Now i feel it a little when up shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Something's definitely wrong with 2nd gear. I'm more worried that its a mechanical issue and by driving on it, I maybe causing more damage. Can anyone reassure me that I'm not grenading the transmission?
I would use the paddle shifter and drive it hard all over the place IN SECOND GEAR. If it has an issue it will give. Result=new transmission

Quick Reply: 2014 Durango bad transmission?