3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Durango or Traverse?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 05:13 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shelbyguy
The only thing I can figure is that as they send out those car evaluation questionnaires, their data results change and they adjust accordingly. Marty
Yep. It's like having the euphoria of a new girl/boy friend only to later learn they gave you an STD. Yuck.
I'm definately downgrading my opinion of Consumer Reports.

Last edited by Orin500XL; 03-05-2014 at 05:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-06-2014, 11:48 AM
alfie43
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Orin500XL
Yep. I'm definitely downgrading my opinion of Consumer Reports.
I agree with you here. I use CU mostly for my non-automotive shopping; great info if I want to buy a vacuum cleaner. However, I have learned to filter and interpret what I see in their auto "findings".

I do read their hands-on car reviews and road tests, but I have reservations about the data they gather from their automobile reliability questionnaires and surveys. I question the candor of the responses to those opinion polls.

We Americans think of our cars as extensions of ourselves and how we express our personalities. There is no other purchase that the average American makes that is more emotional than when they buy their cars. Think of the BMW owner and his "Beemer" image, the New England snob Volvo guy, the intellectual academic image of the Nissan Cube guy, people here in Michigan with, "I buy the best cars in the world; American cars", and I don't have even mention the "green" Prius dude.

Certainly not all, but many of these buyers will tend to "opinionate and rationalize" their survey responses to reinforce and justify their purchase choices.

Alfie (Mariano)

Last edited by alfie43; 03-06-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:20 PM
hellomoto_25
Veteran

This ^

Old 03-06-2014, 01:48 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alfie43
I agree with you here. I use CU mostly for my non-automotive shopping; great info if I want to buy a vacuum cleaner. However, I have learned to filter and interpret what I see in their auto "findings".

I do read their hands-on car reviews and road tests, but I have reservations about the data they gather from their automobile reliability questionnaires and surveys. I question the candor of the responses to those opinion polls.

We Americans think of our cars as extensions of ourselves and how we express our personalities. There is no other purchase that the average American makes that is more emotional than when they buy their cars. Think of the BMW owner and his "Beemer" image, the New England snob Volvo guy, the intellectual academic image of the Nissan Cube guy, people here in Michigan with, "I buy the best cars in the world; American cars", and I don't have even mention the greeness of Prius dude.

Certainly not all, but many of these buyers will tend to "opinionate and rationalize" their answers to reinforce and justify their purchase decision.

Alfie (Mariano)

Yes sir. And the car buyers that fill out such reports are usually in two camps: 1.) They love their purchase and, as you point out, want to reinforce that belief. OR 2.) They have had nothing but problems. Marketing shows that those with problems are the more vocal of the bunch. This is why all reviews, not just CR ones need to be taken with a grain of salt. You will never hear from Joe Smith on his middle of the road, performed like expected purchase.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:17 PM
SteelR/TAZ
Veteran

I am one that has dealt with both. My 2013 R/T was a lemon to the t ... and after all that .. I am still driving one (2014 though). So I have been pretty happy so far.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:56 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

I think I blame that D's issues mostly on that servicing dealer for not identifying and addressing the repairs correctly the first time
If they would have just replaced that motor from moment 1 all would be well
Its unfortunate with mechanical things sometimes they just dont work even when new
Glad you are happy though
STEVE

Old 03-06-2014, 02:59 PM
rdkind62
Professional

Originally Posted by mcfarl58
Yes sir. And the car buyers that fill out such reports are usually in two camps: 1.) They love their purchase and, as you point out, want to reinforce that belief. OR 2.) They have had nothing but problems. Marketing shows that those with problems are the more vocal of the bunch. This is why all reviews, not just CR ones need to be taken with a grain of salt. You will never hear from Joe Smith on his middle of the road, performed like expected purchase.
"Beemer" is a motorcycle. "Bimmer" is a car. But agree with your point. Angry or dissatisfied people are generally more vocal than satisfied customers. I am happy with both my Durango and my Bimmer.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Leman
Rookie

Originally Posted by weatherlover1
Thanks for the replies.
I live on Switzerland and we Max not have as much snow as you saw this winter, but not only do I spend a great deal of time above 1600 meters but I also haul horses in all weather. I just received my 2nd 3rd generation Durango Citadel '14, enough said? (It the Hemi)

The AWD and diff locks work as stated on the tin. I find this more sure footed than my old Jeep Commander. It's rear bias it not noticeable in normal AWD as the transfer occurs very quickly. Going up snowed over hair pins on a climb driving technique is important, and I have only ever placed the rear out in slide when I wanted too, where the weight distribution is really evident is in downhill mountains roads. No issues and no tail out scenarios.

I am impressed enough to go out and buy my 2nd after the 2011 model year I had!

Old 03-06-2014, 03:02 PM
Dango84
Amateur

I cross shopped both these vehicles at the time of purchase. The durango easily came out as my favorite based on multiple factors. Comfort, style, handling, tech, and fun factor.

The exterior just didnt do it for me on the traverse. Even the interior looked cheap and i was in a loaded model with leather, NAV, etc. I will add that it is a spacious and comfortable SUV. The 2nd row did have the option to slide back and forth allow a little more flexibility in seating. The third row was wide but the seat cushions felt lacking and were a little low to the ground for long trips.

The durango has personality and turns heads. I will add that I am having some transmission troubles, but hope to have that resolved during my trip to the dealership tomorrow.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:43 PM
weatherlover1

I test drove both the Durango and Traverse again today. My dad is visiting and he came alone. He liked the traverse but was impressed with the Durango. In the end we are going with the 14 limited durango. I am so excited. I just love driving it. I am a little concerned about some of the talk of transmission issues but am hoping its not a wide problem.

Quick Reply: Durango or Traverse?