3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Durango or Traverse?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 05:29 PM
weatherlover1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durango or Traverse?

My husband and I are looking at the 14 durango and traverse. The one thing we have a question about is the RWD not FWD as the dominant with the AWD system. We live in a heavy snow area and I just am curious how good the Durango does? We took it on a test drive but its hard to gauge from a 10 minute drive. Just looking for how well you like the durango in the Winter and over all. Otherwise I'm in love with it over the traverse.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:14 PM
kell4life
Rookie

It's done well this winter but I would recommend a set of winter tires if you're driving in snow 6 months out of the year. I've driven mine home to Telluride a few times and had no problems.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:21 PM
jshillin
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Durango is full time AWD.

Go drive both and price them out similarly optioned. I was debating the same thing you were back in January, but I also looked at the Explorer, Acadia and a few others. As far as how much bang for the buck, nothing else could touch the Durango.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:29 PM
coldsteel
Captain

Originally Posted by jshillin
The Durango is full time AWD.

Go drive both and price them out similarly optioned. I was debating the same thing you were back in January, but I also looked at the Explorer, Acadia and a few others. As far as how much bang for the buck, nothing else could touch the Durango.
That is not entirely correct. The Durango has an Always On AWD system, but NOT an Always Engaged AWD system. The DD has a 100% rear bias for power until the system detects the need to send power to the front; this aids in better MPG numbers.

If you get the HEMI and 2 speed transfer case, then you have the ability to engage the AWD Low (locking differential) which will split the power 50/50 front and rear.

Last edited by coldsteel; 03-04-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:56 PM
alfie43
Amateur

Originally Posted by weatherlover1
My husband and I are looking at the 14 durango and traverse. The one thing we have a question about is the RWD not FWD as the dominant with the AWD system. We live in a heavy snow area and I just am curious how good the Durango does? We took it on a test drive but its hard to gauge from a 10 minute drive. Just looking for how well you like the durango in the Winter and over all. Otherwise I'm in love with it over the traverse.
I have family members that work for GM, Chrysler and Ford. Therefore, I usually shop all three makers when I buy a vehicle.

Initially, I didn't consider the Durango. I looked at the Explorer and was not impressed. I was one day away from buying a Chevy Traverse LTZ. It was a very nice package and FWD do adequately on our Michigan winter roads. You can't say that about RWD. As for AWD vs RWD; I wouldn't drive a RWD on northern climate roads. My wife drives a Cadillac CTS-AWD.

In my research, I started noticing the very high scores and opinions reported by the major automotive publications, i.e., Consumers, Car & Driver, Edmonds, etc. I decided to look further into the Dodge Durango. One 15 min test drive and I was sold. The exterior styling, interior quality, ride quietness, overall handling and that 8 sp transmission, were the overwhelming factors. I ordered my Billet Silver AWD R/T on Jan 31st and it is due for delivery next week.

Mariano (Alfie)

Last edited by alfie43; 03-04-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:17 PM
Imamad1
Rookie

I have loved the D with Blizzaks this winter in Minnesota, especially this winter!! My wife likes how sure-footed it feels in snow/ice. More ground clearance than the lowered Audi A4 too!

Old 03-04-2014, 07:26 PM
weatherlover1
Cool

Originally Posted by Imamad1
I have loved the D with Blizzaks this winter in Minnesota, especially this winter!! My wife likes how sure-footed it feels in snow/ice. More ground clearance than the lowered Audi A4 too!
This is what I need to know. I have test driven both the Traverse and Durango but one 10 minute ride is hard to get a feel. I plan to go back and drive them again. I have priced them both out as well. I have done lots of research so coming to the forums was me looking for real driving info in the winter months. I live in the U. P of MI so we can see lot of snow. I have driven a Jeep Patriot for 6 years so I know how good they are in the snow and how there powertran works and I know the durango's system is different. My husband like I said above us just worried about how fast the AWD will kick in. I did have the back end kick out on me when I was test driving which is something I'm not used to but I testing it so I was being a little hard on the breaks to see how it reacted.

This is going to be my vehicles for many years to come so I want to be sure this is going to be a great snow vehicle tires are key we know that too. So that was why I was looking for winter driving real world accounts. Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by weatherlover1; 03-04-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:52 PM
Orin500XL
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last year I was also looking at both the Traverse and Durango and decided on a used '12 Crew after reading the praise from both Edmunds and Consumer Reports. IMHO the Durango is better looking and handled better than the Bowtie product. I elected to get RWD simply because we don't get much snow in Maryland -- except for this year! None the less, I don't take it off road or places where 4WD is needed, so . . .
The Durango is comfortable and very well mannered on the highway, the V6 delivers good MPG (20-22 at 75-80mph), it fits my 6'2" 270 pound body (or what used to be a body!) real well, plenty of room for everything and everyone I want to carry, and lastly is a lot sharper (edgey?)looking than the Chevy.
A word of caution, I based my decision partly on Consumer Reports rating of the 2011 and early 2012 models. In their latest edition (April) they give the Durango "worse than average" ratings on reliability and frequency of repair. They also list it among the Models to be Avoided in their used car section. It looks like they've fallen out of love . . .

Old 03-04-2014, 08:34 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

The Durango's system is seamless and you wont even feel the power transfer.
A FWD only car with struggle to pull that Traverse thru anything deeper than a few inches of snow, and the torque steer will drive you nuts.
The D's system is rear Biased but that also means that a lot of steering control is maintained during slipper conditions by applying only the NEEDED Power to the front wheels based upon the speed sensor input.
I have driven both as well and to me there is no comparison
STEVE

Old 03-04-2014, 08:39 PM
weatherlover1

I should note we will only buy a AWD. I would not buy anything else where I live so I am comparing the two AWD systems(Chevy which is FWD Bias and Dodge which is RWD Bias before the AWD kicks in). I have a FWD van and I want my AWD back and in a bad way!

Quick Reply: Durango or Traverse?