3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

14-D Question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 09:10 AM
salrt
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14-D Question?

So...I have a question about the 2014 D. Does it have paddle shifters? I'm just curious how you shift it manually with that goofy rotary **** shifter. I gotta say, I don't know who's idea that was, but I definately don't like it. Guess I'm old school and like the old school shifter handle. I drive around with my arm on the center consol and hand on the shifter all the time. Not sure what I'd do without it. I can see getting busy and thinking I'm turning up the stereo and end up shifting the damn truck into another gear! LOL j/k

Old 03-19-2014, 09:29 AM
jshillin
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, it has paddle shifters, but they aren't in the way. I haven't unintentionally shifted it yet.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:49 AM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 8 speed shifts so well you hardly ever use the paddle shifter. The 14' has a button that you press to put the engine and transmission into a more "aggressive" mode. It works well. The rotary dial is strange at first but you get used to it.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:50 AM
salrt
Professional

LOL - I wasn't worried about the paddle shifters being in the way. I was poking fun at the dial shifter (i.e. it is like the **** to turn up the radio). Guess I shouldn't try humor via post ...haha

Last edited by salrt; 03-19-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:50 AM
fishandgrits
Veteran

I prefer a column shifter as I have been a truck guy forever but I will say that the rotary shift in the RAM is great!

Old 03-19-2014, 10:01 AM
WannaV-8
Veteran

I love a floor shifter…..got to have that. I rest my hand on it when driving and it's easy to manually select while turning. Also old school in that I like actual switches and ***** and not cumbersome menus. My '13 has more "pages" than I'd like and I can see future vehicles only getting more distracting.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:05 AM
Double_D
Amateur

I was pretty use to holding the shifter while driving also but have completely gotten use to the ****. I now really enjoy it as it it gives me more room. I use the arm rest constantly and once you have using the shifter **** down to muscle memory its second nature.

I've used my paddles once so far and that was unknowingly hitting one making a hard right turn. At first I had no idea what was going on lol, but its easy to switch back to auto.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:16 PM
Pdwelch2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by Wash Man
The 8 speed shifts so well you hardly ever use the paddle shifter. The 14' has a button that you press to put the engine and transmission into a more "aggressive" mode. It works well. The rotary dial is strange at first but you get used to it.
Where is this button you speak off? I want to try it. Is it the ECO button? I have the Hemi so maybe I don't have it?

Old 03-19-2014, 01:01 PM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pdwelch2000
Where is this button you speak off? I want to try it. Is it the ECO button? I have the Hemi so maybe I don't have it?

When you start the 14' the default mode is "ECO" as indicated by the light on the button in he dash. Default mode has conservative and quick shift points and slower throttle sensitivity. When you depress the button and the indicator light goes out, the Durango goes into a more aggressive mode; the more aggressive shift points are used and the throttle should be more sensitive

This was new on the 14's. it's on the R/T but I don't know if the 6 cylinders got it.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:53 PM
Fullslp
Captain

Originally Posted by fishandgrits
I prefer a column shifter as I have been a truck guy forever but I will say that the rotary shift in the RAM is great!
Ya Fish but the ram doesn't have paddle shifters and you have to use those stupid buttons on the steering wheel which is down right impossible with work gloves on. My 12'rams shifter was awesome and I never had to take my gloves off when pulling out a ton of fence polls. ( getting in and out every 20 feet and popping it back into gear) Guess it depends on what you used your truck for.

Quick Reply: 14-D Question?