3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Looking for Black Trim Paint Color Code

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 03:14 PM
3time-D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Black Trim Paint Color Code

Working on some "remove the chrome" from my 2013 Crew and first project is the lower front bumper applique. I would like to be able to paint this to match the black plastic bumper. Thanks to Whiteout08 for the tips on peeling the chrome off.

Anyone know the paint code for this color black? SEM makes bumper coater aerosols with a few blacks but its hard to match up by a color sheet.

See: http://www.semproducts.com/wp-conten...erosol_web.pdf

Also, the trim is not smooth, but a texture. Again, any info on how to duplicate this feel?

Thanks for any help, the forum has been a big help with the new truck

Kevin

Old 05-13-2014, 09:34 PM
Whiteout08
Professional

You don't want it to stand out a little? I'm going to be painting my lower applique the body color, brilliant black, so it stands out from the lower bumper to some degree. The texture is going to be tough to duplicate though, you could color match it with standard DupliColor flat black enamel..it's pretty close. Or, like you said, buy some "trim paint", I'm sure that's pretty damn close too.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:55 AM
3time-D

The truck is the true blue color which is a dark blue, so the black trim looks good with the body color. I am still working on what to do with the grille and lower applique color. I will paint them both trim black or body color.

I am going to replace the tail gate applique with a body color unit.

I could do the same with the door handles, but I have not priced all 4 yet and I think it might be over $500 for the four.

The other reason to try to get a trim color match are the sill moldings and the bright trim on the roof racks.

Anyway, not sure how far I will go to "Un-Chrome"

Kevin

Old 05-14-2014, 10:10 AM
Whiteout08
Professional

I put body colored door handles on, they were $330 online for all 4. Mirrors and rear applique on my D will be coated with DupliColor Shadow..since my D is black, "tinting" those chrome pieces will look nice and still provide some shine when the sun hits them. I too am a chrome hater...the only thing I need to figure out is the rocker moulding trim that is "chrome" or possibly just polished aluminum.

Old 05-14-2014, 02:34 PM
Whiteout08
Professional

Being that your D is a blue color, I'd say paint that applique flat black...it might look a bit strange having all black trim down there then this random blue piece.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:35 AM
cjlucas78
Rookie

A flat black vinyl would be cheaper, easier and last longer against chipping.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:07 AM
3time-D

I contacted SEM products tech support to see if they could tell me which bumper coater would match my trim. They said to check with the dealer to get the trim code from my VIN and they would be able to match from that. No luck, it appears that the trim on these trucks are not meant to be repaired/painted just replaced so no trim "color code" exists.

I picked up a couple of bumper trim paints and so far no perfect match. I ordered a couple of more and will see if any match better.

Kevin

Old 05-20-2014, 05:06 PM
CMil527
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cjlucas78
A flat black vinyl would be cheaper, easier and last longer against chipping.
I would think so as well!

Quick Reply: Looking for Black Trim Paint Color Code