3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

'14 Citadel vs R/T

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 11:13 AM
Double_D
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no real reason to get a V8 Citadel unless you just prefer its looks. The real choice is a loaded V6 vs a loaded V8 which is where you decide between a Citadel and a RT. I would have loved an RT with a V6. I just couldn't get all of the options I wanted on a Rallye or Unlimited. After about 4k miles I am avg'ing just over 20 mpg doing surface road\city driving pretty much exclusively with eco off much of the time . Not sure what I would be getting in an RT, my guess is about 15 maybe even in eco. I don't know if anyone else has one doing similar driving. If it could avg 17 I could live with it but none of the numbers I saw here really lead me to think I would get that. If you drive less not as big a deal. I drive a good bit and was on a 5 day fill up plan on my last V8 4Runner 4wd. Somewhere around 10-12 days now and that keeps me happy.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:42 PM
WannaV-8
Veteran

Originally Posted by Double_D
There is no real reason to get a V8 Citadel unless you just prefer its looks. The real choice is a loaded V6 vs a loaded V8 which is where you decide between a Citadel and a RT. I would have loved an RT with a V6. I just couldn't get all of the options I wanted on a Rallye or Unlimited. After about 4k miles I am avg'ing just over 20 mpg doing surface road\city driving pretty much exclusively with eco off much of the time . Not sure what I would be getting in an RT, my guess is about 15 maybe even in eco. I don't know if anyone else has one doing similar driving. If it could avg 17 I could live with it but none of the numbers I saw here really lead me to think I would get that. If you drive less not as big a deal. I drive a good bit and was on a 5 day fill up plan on my last V8 4Runner 4wd. Somewhere around 10-12 days now and that keeps me happy.
I don't do a lot of stop and go in my '13 R/T, hence the mileage is livable. Keeping my foot out of it yields me a decent 18+ average. On 55mph roads with a bit of stoplight action, I can easily do 20, which is fine. And I mostly run 87 octane.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:45 AM
Double_D
Amateur

Originally Posted by WannaV-8
I don't do a lot of stop and go in my '13 R/T, hence the mileage is livable. Keeping my foot out of it yields me a decent 18+ average. On 55mph roads with a bit of stoplight action, I can easily do 20, which is fine. And I mostly run 87 octane.
That's pretty good. AWD? Still doubt I could get much better than 15 even in a
'14 R/T AWD with the driving I do.

Old 06-06-2014, 01:47 PM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm averaging about 20 on the computer when I drive conservatively , even when I'm driving it like I stole it I average 17-18 on the computer

Old 06-06-2014, 02:33 PM
daedalus-nj
Amateur

Depends on what you want it for. If you want luxury and comfort go for the Citadel. Want the 5.7 engine? Order it that way. If you want to impress the ricers and get a louder exhaust get the R/T.

I'm an old fart. I like the boulevard ride, my comfort options and ability to pull a big boat trailer all day long. Chrome - lowered - exhaust.... not on my hit list.

There is no one 'right' answer!

Old 06-06-2014, 02:39 PM
Wash Man
All Star

Originally Posted by daedalus-nj
Depends on what you want it for. If you want luxury and comfort go for the Citadel. Want the 5.7 engine? Order it that way. If you want to impress the ricers and get a louder exhaust get the R/T. I'm an old fart. I like the boulevard ride, my comfort options and ability to pull a big boat trailer all day long. Chrome - lowered - exhaust.... not on my hit list. There is no one 'right' answer!
The R/T has the same luxury as the Citadel.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:42 PM
doolimited
Default Went with the Hemi Citadel.

I ordered a 14 Citadel with the Hemi. I tow a boat and jetskis.

Expecting delivery on the 30th of this month. I swear it seems like time is going slow now. Ha

I think I made the right choice for me, I like the look of the RT but I have a large family. ( 3 kids with one on the way ) So I dont really need the sport of the RT for now.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:56 PM
Wash Man
All Star

Originally Posted by doolimited
I ordered a 14 Citadel with the Hemi. I tow a boat and jetskis. Expecting delivery on the 30th of this month. I swear it seems like time is going slow now. Ha I think I made the right choice for me, I like the look of the RT but I have a large family. ( 3 kids with one on the way ) So I dont really need the sport of the RT for now.
Your going to love that truck. Congrats

Old 06-06-2014, 03:46 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran

Originally Posted by Wash Man
The R/T has the same luxury as the Citadel.
As far as options and interior, yes (aside from interior color choices). But the Citadel does have a little smoother ride as the R/T has more performance oriented steering and suspension. And this is coming from an R/T owner.

Still, the R/T has one of the nicer rides I've experienced even with the "harsher" suspension. It's kind of funny listening to all the people nowadays complaining about things like road noise, ride quality, etc. when the soundproofing and ride quality today is leaps and bounds better than anything that was in a domestic automobile even 5-7 years ago. At the end of the day, I still prefer to know that I'm driving a car...on a road.

Anyone complaining about squeaks, rattles, road noise, etc. needs to come take a ride in the Cobalt I traded in or the Pontiac G6 I'm driving now. Lol. Either that or turn the radio up.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:48 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran

Originally Posted by doolimited
I ordered a 14 Citadel with the Hemi. I tow a boat and jetskis.

Expecting delivery on the 30th of this month. I swear it seems like time is going slow now. Ha

I think I made the right choice for me, I like the look of the RT but I have a large family. ( 3 kids with one on the way ) So I dont really need the sport of the RT for now.
Congrats on the purchase. And yes, time will start to slow down now for you. At least you've got good weather to take your mind off of it. I ordered mine in December during the polar vortex. You want to talk about a long wait. LOL.

Quick Reply: '14 Citadel vs R/T