3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Waterpump Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 06:13 PM
bouser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waterpump Failure

I have a 2012 Citadel with the Hemi. Had to get towed in Sat. as the pump failed and covered under hood with anti freeze. Dealer said this is the first he has seen. I have had a pump fail before they usually leak from the weep hole. This one looked like a broken Rad, hose. There is only 30k on trk. has anyone else had a problem?

Old 05-26-2014, 07:56 PM
JRRF
Captain

Originally Posted by bouser
I have a 2012 Citadel with the Hemi. Had to get towed in Sat. as the pump failed and covered under hood with anti freeze. Dealer said this is the first he has seen. I have had a pump fail before they usually leak from the weep hole. This one looked like a broken Rad, hose. There is only 30k on trk. has anyone else had a problem?
This truly sounds like a one off problem. Could happen to anyone, but you got lucky (or unlucky as the case may be). So did the pump fail, or did the hose break?

Old 05-26-2014, 08:23 PM
bouser

The pump failed. in the 50yrs I have been driving I never saw one go like that.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:51 PM
BadBenz94
Veteran

Originally Posted by bouser
The pump failed. in the 50yrs I have been driving I never saw one go like that.
It happens, bad casting who knows? I have seen many things that " never happen". Just luck of the draw. If it happened often you would see it posted. Sorry to hear about it, sounds like it's getting fixed.

Chris

Old 05-26-2014, 09:33 PM
wildspeed
Professional

Not the first one for the Durango...
Known problem from Dodge

Old 05-27-2014, 09:04 AM
D3-Blk-Hemi
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep around 25k broken hose then water pump failed less than 1500 miles later.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:46 AM
SUNBURNTsnype
Professional

Wow that sounds exactly like what happened to ours. 2012 rt. About a month ago had the seal on my pump go out. I started hearing some burbling noises coming through the firewall when the engine was running; sounded just like when your stomach growls or you get bubble guts. It was the pump sucking in air through the bad seal and trying to pump the coolant with air pockets in it. A few hours later, upon shutting off the engine, a hush gush of coolant would flow out of the seal and dump on the ground. When engine was running, the leak would taper off as the spinning shaft sealed up the leak. But then when you shut the engine off it would gush initially after shutdown then trickle and slowly stop. Only about 35,000 miles.

We were out of town and the nearest dealer was too "busy" to get us in for the repair, even as the truck was pissing coolant all over the asphalt on the service department drive up. So I said thanks for nothing, topped it off with water, drove home, keeping an eye on the temp and had my local dealer fix it under warranty.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:54 AM
undertow999
Amateur

My friend has bad his water pump replaced twice already on his 2012 Citadel Hemi

Quick Reply: Waterpump Failure