2014 Durango is Motor Trend's Top CUV

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 11:11 AM
Snafu7
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 2014 Durango is Motor Trend's Top CUV

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s/viewall.html

"Dodge knows America's tastes and has built the CUV we crave. The ruggedly handsome Durango is the clear winner here."

I didn't see any threads on this. August's edition compares all the top CUVs in MT's opinion and has the Durango #1. Interesting piece. Only area it ranks low in is depreciation at 55% - ouch. With continuing high praise and good build quality I think that area will be better in the future. There's the question of how much the Durango is actually a CUV since it has the unibody frame, is almost as big as a Tahoe (2013 and earlier not sure about the new school bus) and is a Grand Cherokee XL. Lots of upset haters in the comments on MT. Enjoy.

Last edited by Snafu7; 06-23-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:23 AM
mcfarl58
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't buy a car and worry about the depreciation. I buy it an usually drive it into the ground anyway. It's way better than the Honda. I've been in one of those before. Hard plastic everywhere. Toyota feels cheap in comparison as well. Plus, the D is the only one that doesn't look like a Mommy wagon. Interesting that it went up against all imports. No Ford Explorer?

Last edited by mcfarl58; 06-23-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:59 AM
Snafu7
Amateur

I actually think Toyota totally stole their entire design from the Durango. Compare the new model with the prior version. They tweaked every aspect but it looks to me like they ripped it off big time.
I care for my property for the long haul but I also do so in hopes of getting as much possible if I want to sell it. A lot of guys on here trade up after a year or two and it aint nice being upside down that early on. Dodge's reputation/history is the only reservation I've had. (Used to work for Chrysler) My Durango was a gift from my wife. I felt crazy cuz I looked at E550s, some Volvos, thought about going with a Tahoe again but got a Dodge. For me that is still kinda nuts. I've owned a few Jeeps but mostly been a Ford/Chevy guy. I'm glad Fiat has them headed in the right direction.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:07 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran

Originally Posted by Snafu7
I actually think Toyota totally stole their entire design from the Durango. Compare the new model with the prior version. They tweaked every aspect but it looks to me like they ripped it off big time.
I care for my property for the long haul but I also do so in hopes of getting as much possible if I want to sell it. A lot of guys on here trade up after a year or two and it aint nice being upside down that early on. Dodge's reputation/history is the only reservation I've had. (Used to work for Chrysler) My Durango was a gift from my wife. I felt crazy cuz I looked at E550s, some Volvos, thought about going with a Tahoe again but got a Dodge. For me that is still kinda nuts. I've owned a few Jeeps but mostly been a Ford/Chevy guy. I'm glad Fiat has them headed in the right direction.
You want to see a real rip off the Durango? I present the Ford Everest:

Old 06-23-2014, 12:21 PM
Snafu7
Amateur

Wow...

Goes to show who Ford and Toyota think has the best SUV design. Ford Grand Cherokee/Durango. Engineers with no pride or mgmt? SMH

Old 06-23-2014, 12:27 PM
mcfarl58
Veteran

Originally Posted by Snafu7
Wow...

Goes to show who Ford and Toyota think has the best SUV design. Ford Grand Cherokee/Durango. Engineers with no pride or mgmt? SMH
To be fair, I think a lot of the general shape of a vehicle has to do with drag coefficients and the like as each manufacturer is trying to get as much MPGs as they can out of their vehicles, especially in this segment. That's why you see a lot of very similar looking vehicle shapes (especially true with the midsize segment). That said, Ford clearly took the headlights, taillights, and grill straight off the Durango.

Quick Reply: 2014 Durango is Motor Trend's Top CUV