3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Koning's Lifted Durango BUILD!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 01:26 AM
stsalto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you have to put new shocks on with this lift?

Old 11-05-2016, 01:13 PM
NateG

Originally Posted by stsalto
Did you have to put new shocks on with this lift?
You don't need new shocks with the RRO lift.

I installed the kit last weekend, and it looks great with the new wheels and tires. However, I have had a pop/clunk in , from what I can tell, the front suspension ever since I installed the kit. It's quiet driving, braking, accelerating, and turning, but when I hit a bump - CLUNK! We doublechecked everything when we installed it, and I pulled the wheels off this morning and checked everything again. Every nut and bolt that we touched was still tights. Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 11-06-2016, 03:09 AM
NorCalAthlete
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NateG
You don't need new shocks with the RRO lift.

I installed the kit last weekend, and it looks great with the new wheels and tires. However, I have had a pop/clunk in , from what I can tell, the front suspension ever since I installed the kit. It's quiet driving, braking, accelerating, and turning, but when I hit a bump - CLUNK! We doublechecked everything when we installed it, and I pulled the wheels off this morning and checked everything again. Every nut and bolt that we touched was still tights. Anyone have any suggestions?
+1. Identical issue. Everything is torqued down to "german torque specs" (mechanic joke, = "gutentight"). Haven't looked up specific numbers yet but I have fairly well calibrated hands and used extra long breaker bars for some of them along with high strength loctite. Still, there's a clunk when I rock side to side when I take a speed bump at an angle, or hit a bump in the road that only affects one side, etc. Not sure what it is, haven't stuck a gopro down in there yet to see - can't really stick one to the fabric or anything.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:22 PM
wdaniels

I failed to mention that when tightening the sway links i took all load off the suspension by putting a jack under the lower control arm then tightening sway links and all other suspension hardware. Hth.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:19 PM
NorCalAthlete
Rookie

I had the whole front end up on jack stands when I was doing it.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:26 AM
NorCalAthlete
Rookie

Yup...lower control arm and sway bar bolts weren't torqued down enough - vibrated loose juuuuust enough to clunk. All good now, retightened everything. Wheels and tires ordered, should be here hopefully by next weekend! Not going as big as Koning or others have, I'm sticking with 265/60r18s on 18x9 fuel beasts.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:18 AM
NateG

Originally Posted by wdaniels
I failed to mention that when tightening the sway links i took all load off the suspension by putting a jack under the lower control arm then tightening sway links and all other suspension hardware. Hth.
Bingo. Spot on advice. I gave in and took it to the tire shop and told them I suspected I wasn't able to get them put back together right in my driveway. $40 and half an hour later they had me running clunk-free. Thanks for all the help guys! How about some pics?

Attached Thumbnails Koning's Lifted Durango BUILD!-before-and-after.png   Koning's Lifted Durango BUILD!-front-angle.png   Koning's Lifted Durango BUILD!-back-angle.png  
Old 11-14-2016, 05:09 PM
NorCalAthlete
Rookie

****, $40? I had them rip apart the front end and check everything including the front diff since I popped the axles out completely when I was putting the front spacers in. Didn't have a spring compressor. Cost me $200.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:39 AM
that$pit

Has anyone got any tips for getting the allignment right after installing the rro 2" lift?

I've taken it to 2 different shops that specialize in lifts (i live in texas, so everyones got a jacked up truck..).

Both said it was a major PITA, and firestone actually gave it back to me saying they got it as close as they could, but admitted it was barely in tolerance...

Any hidden secrets, or did you guys that have this lift just settle on close?

Last edited by that$pit; 11-19-2016 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:26 AM
wdaniels

I went with close, dealer couldnt align. They did it for free, havent seen any abnormal wear yet after 10k.

Quick Reply: Koning's Lifted Durango BUILD!