Cupped Tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 11:36 PM
zaktrafton
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cupped Tires

24k on my 2013 DD Crew. 18" wheels

Last winter i put a new set of Cooper Weather Master WSC tires on. 5k miles over winter, took them off. I ran the oe michelins all summer. Just put the Coopers back on.

My trouble is, the coopers are badly cupped and noisy as heck. Tire shop says no warranty on winter tires.

Should I run these until they smooth out or will they get worse?

Old 12-02-2014, 01:26 AM
zaktrafton
Professional

Turns out the tires are feathered.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:22 AM
nicola.dinisio
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not an expert, but I have read that "Tire feathering is most commonly a result of improper alignment, which needs to be re-set by an expert"

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7655835_fe...ires-mean.html

It is interesting however that it happened only on your winter tires, didn't it?

Last edited by nicola.dinisio; 12-02-2014 at 04:23 AM. Reason: extended post
Old 12-03-2014, 06:58 AM
GotRPM
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Cupping is not feathering! The reason only the OP's winter tires are cupped is likely due to poor balancing or under-inflation (there are other causes of cupping but they are not likely here since only the winter tires are affected). Cheap tires are more prone to cupping than are high quality tires. It is usually not recommended to run on badly cupped tires.

What It Is
Tire cupping -- aka "scalloping" -- is a kind of tire wear consisting of regular divots or scoops carved out of the tire's tread. Depending on the location of the cupping, you may feel it as a vibration that increases with vehicle speed before you start seeing scoops of flat spots appear on the tire. The sensation is not unlike that of having an unbalanced wheel or tire -- which is ironic, since unbalanced wheels and tires are one possible cause.

Middle of the Tread

Scalloping can happen along the center of the tire's tread, or along one side. If it occurs down the middle of the tread, the cause usually goes back to the tire or suspension on that wheel regularly bouncing as it goes down the road. Under-inflated tires are prone to center-tread scalloping, particularly if they're very tall or low-quality tires. Underinflation tends to cause lots of small scallops. The same is true of unbalanced wheels and bad wheel bearings, but these scallops tend to be deeper, sharper and less tapered on either side. Larger, broader scallops down the center are more often the result of bad shock absorbers.

Along the Edge
Scalloping along one edge, typically the inner edge, tends to happen as a result of problems deeper in the suspension. Bad wheel bearings can cause edge scalloping, but so can bad ball joints, bad steering or sway-bar end links, damage to the steering linkage or control arm, and severely damaged suspension bushings. This kind of wear happens because something in the suspension is bouncing or vibrating when that wheel is compressed during cornering. Edge scalloping could be a sign of impending disaster, so have it checked out immediately.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/about_5509983_ca...ing-tires.html

Scalloping can happen along the center of the tire's tread, or along one side. If it occurs down the middle of the tread, the cause usually goes back to the tire or suspension on that wheel regularly bouncing as it goes down the road. Under-inflated tires are prone to center-tread scalloping, particularly if they're very tall or low-quality tires. Underinflation tends to cause lots of small scallops. The same is true of unbalanced wheels and bad wheel bearings, but these scallops tend to be deeper, sharper and less tapered on either side. Larger, broader scallops down the center are more often the result of bad shock absorbers.

Last edited by GotRPM; 12-03-2014 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:35 PM
zaktrafton
Professional

Took the dd to the tire guy i bought the tires from. 1 minute in he found the inner tread blocks on the right front tire were "cupped"or "scalloped" as he described it. That tire is still chalk marked RR from when the tires came off last spring. So im not sure if it needs the front aligned or the rear. I can say that these winters were loud when they went back on but im not sure if the poor wear happened on the front or the rear.

Basically he told me it needs a 4 wheel alignment. Dodge warranty book says they only do alignments up to 12,000 miles. Seems fair but should I even try to get it done under the 3/36 warranty? My closest dodge dealer is 1.5 hours away.

There is a shop in town that has the machine to do a 4wheel alignment.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:22 PM
zaktrafton
Professional

Here is a pic of the rf tire.

The RR looks good but by feel is starting to do the same. We've put about 1500 miles on these tires as they are on the vehicle this season.

Last edited by zaktrafton; 12-05-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:03 AM
zaktrafton
Professional

Had the alignment checked. It was spot on, no adjustments needed. I had the badly worn tire moved to the left rear. Noise is gone. Lesson learned is that my DD doesnt like aggressive tread tires and rotations past 5k miles.

While at the tire shop my wife saw a jgc overland with 20's and said she liked the rims. Maybe my summer setup.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:46 AM
DDCREW
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Based on the picture thread design, these look like directional tires. If so, they need to be mounted so that they always rotate in one direction (except when backing up of course). Directional tires, when rotated, can only be moved from front to rear and vice versa on the same side of the car ( RF to RR, RR to RF, LF to LR and LR to LF). There should be an arrow on the sidewall of the tire indicating rotation direction.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:38 AM
zaktrafton
Professional

Yes i had thr poor wearing tire dis mounted and remounted facing forward on the left rear.

Quick Reply: Cupped Tires