3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Hypertech ?, need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 09:27 AM
NJMoparDad
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I debated which unit to use for months. I got the Diablo intune through Hemi Fever about a month ago and love it. It's very easy to use and it's easy to reinstall the original tune when going back to a dealer. It's like a different truck now.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:48 PM
IMPREZIN

i keep thinking about which on to go with, my only problem i usually only keep cars for 10 to 14 months tops lol so now sure if it was worth the chip, i have chipped every car, even my S4 i had for only 2 months. thinking the Hypertech, might be the best way

Old 03-07-2015, 10:35 PM
2011CrewLuxSC
Rookie

Ok, so I installed my Hypertech Interceptor today.

(all credit to K.Ip -I purchased a used unit from him back around Christmas and just got around to installing it. works great)

here are my initial reactions. Install was easy. took maybe 30 minutes. for background, I do all my basic work on my cars; change oil, spark plugs, intakes, I've changed out a TCM, swaybars, etc. and I've owned about 7 D/C cars at this point. but this was my first real foray into working on the D since I bought it used in Nov.

so the install was easy. followed the directions, routed the wires, used black zip ties. all pretty simple.

I also updated the Interceptor before I installed it. not sure what exactly was updated but I downloaded the updated software from Hypertech's website, plugged in the throttle module by USB and a file was downloaded and installed.

Now onto the real question of what does the Interceptor do. I don't have access to a dyno and don't care to get that technical even if I did. so all analysis is subjective.

throttle response is definitely much improved. definitely revs easier and quicker.

I think I read in a post that the throttle module adds about 20% to throttle input? so maybe its getting a quicker throttle input? and maybe we're getting some timing advance? we're accessing the cam sensor. and the intake air sensor. so maybe a little spark advance and a little quicker read on the throttle input?

I'm not ready to say the Interceptor is adding horsepower or torque. maybe after driving for a couple weeks I'll have a better idea. but it didn't feel like more power.

it just felt like easier power. definitely increases the fun factor in driving.

my next mod will be a Volant CAI. probably in about a month or so. I decided I wanted to do them separate to have a feel for what each contributes.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:34 PM
MotorMolarDoc
Amateur

CrewLux, good for you. I am still enjoying my Hypertech. Maybe my rig is a "slow learner" but I have felt no adapting to the Hypertech that would cancel out what it is doing, after a couple of months post install. Your descriptions of "easier power" and "increasing the fun" are ones I agree with. This is my daily driver, and I was just looking for a bit more responsiveness and "get up and go", which I got. Not looking to push the engine as hard as it can go. You will like the Volant too. I have both, and it works well with the Hypertech. Good luck.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:03 PM
2011CrewLuxSC
Rookie

Originally Posted by MotorMolarDoc
CrewLux, good for you. I am still enjoying my Hypertech. Maybe my rig is a "slow learner" but I have felt no adapting to the Hypertech that would cancel out what it is doing, after a couple of months post install. Your descriptions of "easier power" and "increasing the fun" are ones I agree with. This is my daily driver, and I was just looking for a bit more responsiveness and "get up and go", which I got. Not looking to push the engine as hard as it can go. You will like the Volant too. I have both, and it works well with the Hypertech. Good luck.
you're killing me. lol. I'm making myself wait for the Volant so I get used to how it feels with just the Hypertech. now I want to go ahead and order it!

thanks for the input though. I really enjoy driving the D. and I agree, I was just looking for more responsiveness which is exactly what I got.

Old 03-10-2015, 03:07 PM
IMPREZIN

So i spoke with Hypertech today "Steve,

We have not seen or heard of any issues with the ECO button; the Interceptor has no affect on that system. There will be two main components; the Interceptor Module installs under the hood and connects to the Cam sensor, Map sensor & Air Intake temperature sensor. The Interceptor Accelerator Module installs under the dash above the accelerator pedal. The installation will take approximately 30 minutes to complete, very simple to install.
Both Modules use Hypertech’s Smart Technology that works with today’s generation of complex engine controllers. The Modules automatically recalculates the factory’s computer performance calibrations with Hypertech Power Tuning, this means more horsepower and torque, quicker acceleration, better drivability, and improved MPG. This is the same Power Tuning that is used with the Max Energy Programmers for the earlier model vehicles. You’ll be able to use regular or premium octane fuel as you like, the Controllers will automatically make the optimal adjustments.

Thanks

Jim"

Hopes this helps someone.
Also after talks with a lot of people and hearing bad things and some good, i think I'm going to go with Diablo

Old 03-10-2015, 04:30 PM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"The Modules automatically recalculates the factory’s computer performance calibrations with Hypertech Power Tuning,"

The problem is that EVERY SINGLE time the truck is started, it defaults to Eco mode and the factory performance calibrations change.

It's funny that he would say they had no reported problems.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:27 PM
IMPREZIN

Originally Posted by Wash Man
"The Modules automatically recalculates the factory’s computer performance calibrations with Hypertech Power Tuning,"

The problem is that EVERY SINGLE time the truck is started, it defaults to Eco mode and the factory performance calibrations change.

It's funny that he would say they had no reported problems.
I agree and thats why i am doing to go with Diablo lol

Old 03-10-2015, 06:28 PM
plasmageorge
Rookie

I guess I will chime in, since I started this Thread, and I appreciate everyone's opinion.
I went the Diablo Intune DCX.
It was only $100 more than the HyperTech, and a much easier Install....it's 100% electronic, nothing mechanical with harnesses, etc. All I did was plug in this IPhone looking device that has a touch screen and added the Tunes Sean emailed me. It also plugs into my Laptop, so I drag the files from his email, into the E: drive once my laptop recognizes it....then off to the Durango.

This Forum sold me on Diablo and the Intune, What scared me off was more than one Forum member saying the Durango would eventually learn the HyperTech, so for $100 it was a no brainer.

As I do other mods, or want to go 93 Octane, (maybe Summer), I can reload a new Tune thata Sena gave me, or get another one from him.

It absolutely feels like a HEMI should...It puts you right in the seat now, so fun to drive. Even with 20% throttle, it's alive and accelerates very well, no more mashing the throttle to get off the line, it jumps when you mash it now, I warned my wife to never do that.... I started calling this Durango "The Tank", cause it was slow moving, no more.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:35 PM
IMPREZIN

Originally Posted by plasmageorge
I guess I will chime in, since I started this Thread, and I appreciate everyone's opinion.
I went the Diablo Intune DCX.
It was only $100 more than the HyperTech, and a much easier Install....it's 100% electronic, nothing mechanical with harnesses, etc. All I did was plug in this IPhone looking device that has a touch screen and added the Tunes Sean emailed me. It also plugs into my Laptop, so I drag the files from his email, into the E: drive once my laptop recognizes it....then off to the Durango.

This Forum sold me on Diablo and the Intune, What scared me off was more than one Forum member saying the Durango would eventually learn the HyperTech, so for $100 it was a no brainer.

As I do other mods, or want to go 93 Octane, (maybe Summer), I can reload a new Tune thata Sena gave me, or get another one from him.

It absolutely feels like a HEMI should...It puts you right in the seat now, so fun to drive. Even with 20% throttle, it's alive and accelerates very well, no more mashing the throttle to get off the line, it jumps when you mash it now, I warned my wife to never do that.... I started calling this Durango "The Tank", cause it was slow moving, no more.
I actually emailed Sean today, what gas do you run now? I run 87. I'm going to go Diablo from Sean even tho Autoanything was trying to give me a great price when i was on the phone getting other things for another car. they came down to $393 and free overnight. was Tempting

Quick Reply: Hypertech ?, need opinions