3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Hellcat Durango

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 07:03 PM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who needs a supercharger?

I was pulling out onto a busy feeder from a parking lot yesterday. Had cars exiting from the freeway at 70 mph just a short bit up the street and the gaps were very short. So I put it in sport mode and stomped on it. My 5000 lb SUV broke traction and spun em pretty good as I fishtailed into the lane. Dry pavement with dry tires.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:35 PM
Turborusty
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Us AWD guys may need a supercharger to break traction.

Turborusty

Old 02-16-2015, 12:28 AM
ufokillerz
Veteran

Originally Posted by Wash Man
Who needs a supercharger?

I was pulling out onto a busy feeder from a parking lot yesterday. Had cars exiting from the freeway at 70 mph just a short bit up the street and the gaps were very short. So I put it in sport mode and stomped on it. My 5000 lb SUV broke traction and spun em pretty good as I fishtailed into the lane. Dry pavement with dry tires.
theres a sports mode?

Old 02-16-2015, 06:46 AM
bbtkd
Veteran

Originally Posted by ufokillerz
theres a sports mode?
On my 2012 AWD Hemi Citadel it is labelled Tow/Haul. Other models might call it Sport. It holds in gears longer, notably increasing acceleration. Still can't break them loose with AWD, unless turning.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:16 AM
Wash Man
All Star

The 14 has an Eco mode button. When you disengage Eco mode the accelerator is more responsive and it shifts more aggressively. When you turn off Eco mode which is the default, you are in effect putting it into sport mode.

The 14's do not have a tow haul mode with the 8 speed. The computer senses the load and adjusts shift points on it's own. Regardless of whether you are in Eco or sport mode, it doesn't matter.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:22 AM
bbtkd
Veteran

The ECO button sounds identical in function to tow/haul. Both disable ECO and shift more aggressively.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:45 AM
Wash Man
All Star

The 14 adjusts for towing automatically whether the Eco mode is on or off. Tow/haul also normally disables the highest highway gears.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:58 PM
Thekoning
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i could use a supercharger. The MPG increase is attractive also. although the fuel saving would never pay off the price of the SC haha

Old 02-17-2015, 03:53 AM
ufokillerz
Veteran

Originally Posted by Wash Man
The 14 has an Eco mode button. When you disengage Eco mode the accelerator is more responsive and it shifts more aggressively. When you turn off Eco mode which is the default, you are in effect putting it into sport mode.

The 14's do not have a tow haul mode with the 8 speed. The computer senses the load and adjusts shift points on it's own. Regardless of whether you are in Eco or sport mode, it doesn't matter.
only problem with the theory that eco off mode is sports mode... is that MDS is uneffected by the eco button. The only thing you are really doing is changing shift points. You can't have sports mode with MDS engaged.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:51 AM
Wash Man
All Star

MDS can only activate when the engine is either decelerating or at an unchanging rpm for a period of time. It cannot activate while the engine is accelerating or under load.

Quick Reply: Hellcat Durango