3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

2015 Durango SXT OEM hitch installation

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 05:30 PM
shane.lipson@gmail.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Durango SXT OEM hitch installation

New 2015 SXT owner.

I won't be doing 'heavy' towing, but will be nice to tow a few bikes and a rack every now and then. Want to put on an OEM receiver.

Tried to order one from the dealer today, and they said that Chrysler screwed up the 2015s...something about the back cover doesn't work and that the last two this dealer sold were returned b/c they didn't work. He said I'd have to order, in addition to the receiver, a new rear lower bumper. I didn't quite follow the story. I called another dealer and they said they couldn't find a hitch kit for the 2015 in their computer (they guy was going to call his national office Monday b/c he didn't understand).

It appears there is a removable piece in the rear fascia with a plastic screw in the 2015....but it also appears the door that gets removed is too low to accommodate the hitch receiver (not sure the receiver would fit through the opening.

Has anyone had experience yet with the 2015 post purchase installation? I see lots of 2013s and 2014s....looking for someone that has specific experience with a 2015.

Thanks,
Shane

Old 04-13-2015, 11:53 PM
SteelR/TAZ
Veteran

Can you post a picture of your rear bumper? I just installed the hitch on my 2014 R/T

Old 04-14-2015, 10:02 PM
shane.lipson@gmail.com

Enclosed are two photos. One photo is the little "panel" that can be removed. The second photo is the resulting "open area" in the rear fascia of the bumper.

You'll see there is a proper formed space. However, you'll also see the cross bar that is there already (the one that has to be removed to put in the hitch receiver). You'll see that it isn't actually aligned.

Does the hitch cross bar drop lower so it fits through the hole..... or did Chrysler screw something up in the 2015 version?

Last edited by shane.lipson@gmail.com; 04-14-2015 at 10:05 PM. Reason: add the photos
Old 04-15-2015, 10:05 AM
mcfarl58
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shane.lipson@gmail.com

Enclosed are two photos. One photo is the little "panel" that can be removed. The second photo is the resulting "open area" in the rear fascia of the bumper.

You'll see there is a proper formed space. However, you'll also see the cross bar that is there already (the one that has to be removed to put in the hitch receiver). You'll see that it isn't actually aligned.

Does the hitch cross bar drop lower so it fits through the hole..... or did Chrysler screw something up in the 2015 version?
Wow, yeah, that may be a problem. I would imagine that they'll need to fabricate a new part to work with the '15s then if this is the case. Doesn't look like it's aligned at all. You may have to wait until Mopar comes out with a new OEM one that'll fit the '15s or maybe an aftermarket one will come. In any event, I don't think the one for the '14s will work. I don't think it drops down as much as you need it to.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:48 PM
insureobx
Rookie

Originally Posted by SteelR/TAZ
Can you post a picture of your rear bumper? I just installed the hitch on my 2014 R/T
How did that go? My R/T didn't come with a hitch and I want to add one. Did you go OEM or aftermarket and how hard was it to get done?

Thanks!

Old 04-16-2015, 01:12 AM
SteelR/TAZ
Veteran

It was super easy, plus there is a nice walk through here on the other Rango forum.

http://www.dodgedurango.net/forums/d...tructions.html

As for parts, this is what I ordered from Ebay.

Tow Hitch part #52124606AF got it off of ebay for 149 shipped.
Bought two more bolts for the hitch (the stock bumper has 4 bolts, the hitch has 6) Part # I ordered off of ebay. 6508668AA.
Then I ordered this off of ebay, 56055632AC this is the plug for the wire.
My 2014 RT already everything but the tow hitch and plug. All the wiring was there etc.

Here are some pictures.
Bumper off

All finished

Old 04-16-2015, 04:08 PM
insureobx
Rookie

That looks great. Thanks for sharing. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person but fairly easy to do?

Old 04-16-2015, 06:52 PM
SteelR/TAZ
Veteran

Yes not too bad at all.

Here is the video install.

Btw, if you do decide to take this on, be careful when you are pulling the side of the bumper off the clips. I broke a bracket (doesn't seem to be affecting anything - I also order a new one). Anyway ... I would do this again if I needed to. It really isn't that bad.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:58 PM
Durangotony

Will this set up work on a 2016 SXT?

Quick Reply: 2015 Durango SXT OEM hitch installation