no horn..

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 09:31 AM
Vladek
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default no horn..

i'll start off with what i have,

2012 durango r/t, 5.7,auto, all wheel drive.

the horn stop working, this happen while my wife was out of town for residency. She says that it happen right after the cold front.

i was wondering if there seems to be a common problem, or if there is a good place to start looking at. to identify the problem here.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:35 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Check the fuse and the wiring.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:24 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I agree, the fuse for the horn would be the place to start. Often the fuse is on the same circuit as the interior accessory outlets. Maybe she had a celphone charger or some other 12V device plugged in that overloaded the circuit and should be unplugged before replacing the fuse, assuming the fuse is found to be blown.

-Rod

Old 11-23-2015, 05:02 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It doesn't look like there are any TSBs for the horn not working. I would think what jkeaton and Rod suggested would be a possibility to start looking at. If not, a trip to the dealership may be in order.

Either way, please be sure to keep us posted!

Old 11-24-2015, 07:41 AM
SHO Rod
All Star

I pulled up the wiring diagram for the horn. It appears that the horn is fused independently of other systems. There are two physical horns, and each one is fused independently. The fuses are both 10A and are M22 and M23 in the Totally Integrate Power Module (TIPM). The TIPM also houses the horn relay.

If you check the fuses and they are both good, one thing you might try would be to enable the horn for keyless entry lock, then lock the door using the button on the exterior door handle and see if the horn does a brief honk. If so, you know the fuses and the relay are not the issue. At that point you can start to focus on the circuit between the contacts in the steering wheel and the TIPM. The place I'd start there would be to engage the cruise control on a safe stretch of road, then press the horn pad on the steering wheel and see if the cruise control disengages. There's a horn sense for the cruise control that is to disengage the cruise if the horn is pressed. If that feature still works, then the contacts in the steering wheel are still working.

-Rod

Old 11-29-2015, 04:36 PM
Vladek
Veteran

sorry for taking so long to respond. both fuses are good and tested good also. (with a fuse tester). with sho rod's post, looks like i need to look at TIPM.

horn doesn't work when i press the lock button on the fob or the button on the either door handle, or just pressing the steering wheel button either.

so, next question is, where is the TIPM? since i don't have a chilton's
what does TIPM stand for?

Old 11-29-2015, 05:36 PM
SHO Rod
All Star

The TIPM is the Totally Integrated Power Module which is located under the hood and contains the bulk of the fuses and relays. At least on the 2011 Hemi it's located on the passenger side near the jump start posts.

-Rod

Old 11-29-2015, 06:15 PM
Vladek
Veteran

ok, show for some reason not all the info from sho rod's post didn't sink in. i'm a dummy.

just used to a fuse box being called a fuse box. however, which relay should i check? the only 2 things that have the horn labeled to them are m22 and m23, like rod said.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:23 PM
SHO Rod
All Star

The horn relay is listed as integral to the TIPM so it's not something that's easily replaced. If the fuses are good, you'd kind of stuck checking for other things to be working properly using, preferably, a test light. Such as unplugging the horns and checking to see if they are getting power while the horn pad is pressed, and assuming not, checking to see if pressing the horn pad causes the cruise control to cancel when engaged.

-Rod

Old 11-30-2015, 08:39 AM
J6L
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't know beeping the horn cancels the cruise control…nice safety move. Not sure if this part is suspect: but years back the horn in my Gran Caravan stopped working. The power supply seemed fine but the horn and eventually all steering wheel functions (i.e. CC/radio) failed. It turned out to be the "clock spring" in the steering wheel itself had failed. After this part was replaced, everything returned to normal. Follow the test procedures ShoRod has outlined, as these should put you on the right track.

Quick Reply: no horn..