3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

?s for 2014-16 owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 09:54 PM
wi-steve
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ?s for 2014-16 owners

I'm thinking of trading in my 12 Crew v6 for a 2014 to 16 Citadel or RT.

Must have features include the V8, and AWD. It's gotta have the top level stereo with sub.

Nav and rear video would be nice. Am I seeing that the video system is not an option on RT models?

I need to drive the RT vs the citadel to see how much better the RT handling is. I like the chrome on the Citadel, and like having the roof rack although admittedly in 4 years I haven't used it. We get plenty of snow here so I'm also concerned about losing a little winter ability with the RT. The RT sure can look badass though.

So, it looks like in 2016, RT is the only option for V8. BUt from the Dodge web site, it also shows the sub as not available in RT models. ?!?!?!? Is that right?

I would prefer to find a used one anyway though to save some $.

Would love to hear some opinions on RT vs Citadel, also if there are specific stereos offered in these years that were better than others.

While we're at it, if anyone is looking for a 12 crew, True Blue / frost interior, let me know. Loaded, every option except heated wheel, v8 and has bench 2nd row. 60,000 miles, very nice condition except some dog hair in cargo area sides only.

Thanks
Steve

Old 04-05-2016, 08:58 AM
03neonRT
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We traded up from an '11 Crew to a '15 Citadel last May (loaded, minus the rear entertainment). At the time, we were also cross shopping the Citadel versus the R/T, but ended up with the Citadel because it came with the ventilated front seats - we're down south, so its actually extremely useful. My wife also preferred the chrome look to the blacked out or body color matched look of the R/T's we drove.

The R/T was definitely sportier, felt slightly tighter in the twists, had a mildly firmer ride, and the V8 felt great. However, it wasn't a huge difference when driving, in my opinion. Obviously, a lot of that changes in '16 since you can't get it with the V8 anymore. I will say that while the V6 isn't as powerful, when its paired to the 8-speed transmission, it still feels good for a vehicle this size. I also recently towed a 5,500lb trailer about 1300 miles last December (mostly through the mountains), and the V6 was a total champ.

Last edited by 03neonRT; 04-05-2016 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Added more details
Old 04-07-2016, 08:02 PM
wi-steve
Veteran

Oh man. I drove the 2016 RT today. The difference is night and day. No question. I need one. The sound. The acceleration. Even the cornering is quite bit better. Did I mention the acceleration?

Old 04-14-2016, 06:53 PM
civilizedgrit

We just traded our '13 Crew for a '14 RT, and let me say the 8 speed is definitely worth trading for. Our RT with the leather package does have the ventilated seats (as well as heat and heated steering wheel) and the DVD package, but I looked for 3 months before finding it. You need the HEMI if only to boost your testosterone levels! Man, it sounds great!

Before we bought it we drove a 14 Citadel V6. Power/performance was more than adequate, but we needed the tow capacity of the HEMI (plus I wanted it). Stereo is identical, the 509 watt system. Both will have the 20" wheels/tires. The ones we drove both had factory tow packages, but the RT steering feels a little heavier. Either way, it is a fine ride. But the RT definitely wins the badass column...ours is white an looks pretty 'police package', so people tend to slow down and get out of the way!

Old 04-14-2016, 10:32 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by civilizedgrit
Our RT with the leather package does have the ventilated seats (as well as heat and heated steering wheel) and the DVD package, but I looked for 3 months before finding it. You need the HEMI if only to boost your testosterone levels! Man, it sounds great!
That's so weird, every single 2015 R/T we test drove did not have ventilated front seats (deal breaker for my wife), even though they had leather. It also looks like its standard equipment on the 2016 R/T's, which is great too. Good to know!

Old 04-14-2016, 10:34 PM
wi-steve
Veteran

Nice. Yeah, I have it narrowed down to two in the Chicago, one is black with the blacktop package, the other mineral gray, and both every option available. That's the one I want to make happen.

So, how's that new Beats stereo compared to the 13 model? I loved the 430N with sub in my 12 crew. Didn't get a chance to crank it in the test drive.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:23 AM
oharag
Rookie

Just bought a used 2015 R/T. It came fully loaded. I only researched 2015/2016. For some reason I liked the redesign on 2015 onward with the shifter wheel instead of traditional shifter. Looks cleaner. I also liked the center instrument cluster redesign. Again looks cleaner.

I believe you need the LUX Leather Seats to get ventilated front seats for 2015. I believe this also gives you rain sensing windshield whippers. Why - who knows? Do not know if these come standard on 2016 R/T. Maybe the Citadel (which I really did not research - was focused on R/T all along - primarily for V8 engine - towing). BTW I can't really tell a noticeable difference with ventilation on.

I thought the V8 was an option on all vehicles except the SXT from at least 2015 onward.

I also believe most if not all R/Ts I looked at (2015/2016) came with the 8.4NAV. This includes backup camera and BEATS audio with Subwoofer. Do not know if Camera comes with 8.4A without NAV.

I have the technology group - collision detection with audio beeps, side vehicle notification with visual que within rear side windows, audio beep during lane changes or backing up, front collision detection with auto braking, adaptive cruise control with auto braking. I like this option. I believe you have to order this on 2015/2016.

I do not know how an R/T vs Citadel with AWD would perform any different in snow. I guess the R/T has lower ground clearance. Mine has All Season Tires on.

I'm a little perplexed by the roof rack differences. I have a post on this forum regarding this question. I would like a little more input regarding this question. My R/T does not have roof rails - or the Stow N Hide Roof Rack shown on Dodge's website. Not even an option during ordering I believe. I suppose the Citadel comes standard with the roof rails?????? I called Dodge Dealer Parts - they had no clue. Every option I see is a Side Rail strap on cross bar option. From another forum someone stated that Dodge Dealers will refuse to install (screw) Roof Rails on the R/T. Something to do with redesigned sheetmetal/hitting air bag sensors/warranty issues. I would like roof rails so I can attach cross bars anywhere along the rail. Current solutions seems to require installation in the door openings - which move roof cross bars closer to the front of the vehicle.

Love my Durango. I believe it is the best and most economical solution in the full-size SUV class. Ford Explorer only comes with V6 options - most websites choose Dodge over Ford. Chevy Tahoe and Yukon start at 50K and upwards. Though Chevy vehicles offer 4X4 and more head room - and more seating options and better ground clearance. Maybe better for the true offroaders. The Dodge Durango looks cooler and tougher than all others.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:28 AM
oharag
Rookie

Originally Posted by 03neonRT
That's so weird, every single 2015 R/T we test drove did not have ventilated front seats (deal breaker for my wife), even though they had leather. It also looks like its standard equipment on the 2016 R/T's, which is great too. Good to know!
It looks like ventilation does come standard on 2016's. You had to order the LUX leather package to get ventilated seats in 2015. I can't really tell the difference when ventilation is turned on.

The options keep changing from year to year. It's nice they are making certain options standard on newer vehicles.

I thought I read 2016's have newer 8.4A/N systems offering faster processing.

Old 04-15-2016, 06:15 PM
civilizedgrit

[QUOTE=oharag;3293254]Just bought a used 2015 R/T. It came fully loaded. I only researched 2015/2016. For some reason I liked the redesign on 2015 onward with the shifter wheel instead of traditional shifter. Looks cleaner. I also liked the center instrument cluster redesign. Again looks cleaner.

I believe you need the LUX Leather Seats to get ventilated front seats for 2015. I believe this also gives you rain sensing windshield whippers. Why - who knows? Do not know if these come standard on 2016 R/T. Maybe the Citadel (which I really did not research - was focused on R/T all along - primarily for V8 engine - towing). BTW I can't really tell a noticeable difference with ventilation on.

2014 was the first year of the redesign/8 speed/rotary shifter.

Yep, you need the LUX package to get the heated/ventilated seats, and our 14 also had the rain sensing tied in with it. We don't notice much ventilation, either, so far...not real warm so far, but all it does is circulate ambient air, not ac.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:36 PM
wi-steve
Veteran

I bought a '15 black RT with blacktop package yesterday. Has every available option. I am in heaven, I absolutely love it. The old 12 crew V6 was a great vehicle, but this thing is basically the answer to every suggestion for an improvement that that I have ever thought of.

Turns out this one was a late '14 production, does not have the "Beats" stereo emblems, but it sounds even better than my old one.

Quick Reply: ?s for 2014-16 owners